Search Unity

uGUI in VR?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by mikewarren, May 14, 2019.

1. mikewarren

mikewarren

I originally asked this question in the forum UI section, but was advised that I might get better traction here.

I'm about to start building a Unity UI (2019) that will need to run in both a desktop mode (mouse interactions) and in VR (using a world space raycaster and controller button). I know the Unity UI systems is pretty heavily designed around the concept of a screen, so I've been researching articles and implementations like this from Oculus for working around that restriction.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/unitys-ui-system-in-vr/

It's been several years since that article was written and things inevitably evolve. Are there better resources for using uGUI components in VR now? Ideally, I'd like to stick to an all Unity solution that will support multiple VR platforms and customized environments like CAVES. (I have the tracking interface implemented already)

I've found implementations of VR InputModules for uGUI, but they're old and I'm having trouble integrating them. Any advice is appreciated.

Mike

2. StayTalm_Unity

StayTalm_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey Mike,
    Sort of a good news/bad news here.
    Good News!
    I've built one that is properly extensible, and supports multiple tracked devices, multi-touch, mouse, joysticks as an official Unity uGUI Input Module.

Bad News!
    It's still on it's way through the polishing and prep for shipping stage and is not yet out. We need to sort of package it up and do all the little things required to get it properly out the door, but it's coming real soon.

I'm going to ping this thread here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unitys-ui-and-xr-input.671893/ once it's out and available. It's a very in demand feature, and something we should have had out sooner, sorry to keep you waiting on it.

3. mikewarren

mikewarren

Great news and thanks for pinging the other thread. I'm sorry I didn't see it. It's the exact same question (down to referencing the Oculus article). I'll follow up there.