Search Unity

Bug UGS Funnel steps get mixed up after saving the funnel

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by paljan, Oct 18, 2022.

1. paljan

paljan

I created a lengthy level completion funnel for our game, and after applying and processing, it showed correctly. After saving the funnel and reloading it, the steps got all mixed up.

The funnel is 54 steps long, and here's how it is specified, with 3 parameters set for each step:

minigameEvent
    • eventType = Completed
    • categoryName = Maths
    • levelNumber = 1
    After creation the steps were in correct order, and the funnel graph was displayed correctly after processing. After saving the funnel and reloading it, the steps were mixed up as follows:
    • Steps 1 to 11 were levelNumber 36 to 46
    • Steps 12 to 46 were levelNumber 1 to 35
    • Steps 47 to 54 were levelNumber 47 ro 54
    This naturally broke the whole funnel. Are the 54 steps causing the issue and is there an undocumented maximum amount of steps?

2. paljan

paljan

Tried to re-create with the same issue, then created a smaller one without any issues. Finally I was able to create another 56 step funnel without any issues when saving. The only difference is, I had 50% browser zoom activated when creating and saving the broken Funnel, and 0% zoom for all the successful ones - could this be tied to the cause? I used the zoom level to go through and verify the level number values I had entered.

Offtopic: a really cool feature for Funnel creation would be an autopopulation of a parameter value. For your level number parameter you could just enter a min and max value and the event steps would be auto generated duplicating the initial event and parameters.

3. RandolfKlemola

RandolfKlemola

Unity Technologies

Hello paljan,

Thanks for reaching out to the support team! There is a known issue regarding the Date Range filter on saved reports. Can you confirm that the Date Range filter did not change from how you had originally set it?

I wonder if this could also be a browser/performance issue. Which browser and browser version were you using? Did you add the steps very quickly (I have to assume you did, as there were so many)? I wasn't able to reproduce this on my end, unfortunately.

Note: There’s no limit to the number of steps you can have for each Funnel. We recommend between eight to fifteen steps to optimize load times.

Offtopic: a really cool feature for Funnel creation would be an autopopulation of a parameter value. For your level number parameter you could just enter a min and max value and the event steps would be auto generated duplicating the initial event and parameters.

That's a great idea, and I will put in a feedback ticket on your behalf! We really appreciate that.

4. paljan

paljan

Thank you for the response! I did not initially change nor did I notice a change in the date range default value in any of the funnels! I did add the steps as quickly as I humanly could!! Just duplicating a step and incrementing the levelnumber value. Good to hear about no step limit, and understandably a 50+ step funnel will take long time to process.

5. paljan

paljan

Oh and I was using the latest Chrome version on windows! Wouldn't a client side performance issue mess up the funnel immediately when attempting to create it though? Now it displayed correctly after applying, and only got mixed up after saving the funnel?

6. RandolfKlemola

RandolfKlemola

Unity Technologies

Hey again (apologies for the major delay) paljan!

Wouldn't a client side performance issue mess up the funnel immediately when attempting to create it though? Now it displayed correctly after applying, and only got mixed up after saving the funnel?

[FONT=Inter, sans-serif]Not necessarily. The UI could be showing you one thing, while the backend is caching another. I guess a bit of a disconnect between the 2. My guess is the "incorrect" view you have will hold true until refreshing the page/saving & loading.[/FONT]