Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ugly downsized hero art

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by SoulGameStudio, Mar 8, 2016.

1. SoulGameStudio

SoulGameStudio

Hi,

I have my hero character who can appear both in combat (right) and map (left). As you can see the sprite is kinda ugly when downsized.

I thought about using two different sets of assets for each size, but it would require to make all his armor, weapons and faces in double which would have a huge production cost.

If you have any idea about how I could manage to make that small hero less broken, that would be great.

NB: the character uses MeshRenderer since it works with Spine.

2. SoulGameStudio

SoulGameStudio

If someone is having the same kind of problem, I kinda fixed it by checking "Mipmapping" option directly on the texture inspector of the character. That makes him a tiny bit blurry, but it's way better than ugly aliasing.

3. Zaflis

Zaflis

Mipmapping shouldn't make any difference for 2D, it just uses more memory. I'm assuming your Filter Mode is set to Point. The Bilinear should do same kind of blur. Well.. i could be wrong.

4. SoulGameStudio

SoulGameStudio

It does make a very noticable difference in my project, I'm suspecting it's because even tho it's 2D looking, Spine uses MeshRenderer with vertices and stuff.
    I've tried to play around with Bilinear but didn't manage to see any difference.