Search Unity

UFPS : Ultimate FPS [ RELEASED ]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by VisionPunk, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

The Oculus camera component moves independently of the parenting Camera transform (the FPCamera script is only being used for generating camera shakes, view bob etc. in our tutorial). I think it would be quite simple to get the behavior you want by adding a monobehaviour to the transform with simple logic to set the parent transform rotation (of either the controller or the camera transform) to the rotation of the oculus camera every frame (Update). In this video, we did that for the neck bone by fetching the rotation of one of the Oculus "eye" transforms as I recall. So basically: create a new monobehaviour script, store one of the oculus eye transforms in the Start method, and set the Y rotation of the controller or camera (whichever works best) to the Y of that eye transform in the Update method. Also (or alternatively) there is a "Tracker rotates Y" setting on the Oculus camera component. That might do something useful.

2. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi deckard, thanks for this bug report and the suggestion. I will add this to our todo lists and it will be looked into on our next refactoring.

3. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

The second weapon in our HD weapons range for Ultimate FPS is now available in the Asset store.

I created a separate thread for info on this range of assets here.

[video=youtube_share;SVSJYrf6CjU]http://youtu.be/SVSJYrf6CjU

EDIT: We have reduced the price by 30% on these assets for the time being.

Pistol
    Shotgun

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  4. Prt0100

Prt0100

I bought UFPS yesterday, and it really is amazing. I have one major problem though. When I try adding a new weapon, after setting the renderer prefab under the FPWeapons script, the script reads (Inactive) on run and there is no selection of the weapon. In this case, I duplicated the default revolver and added my own prefab, so it should work. Here is a screenshot of the issue: http://puu.sh/4L1i8.jpg

I may be setting up the prefab incorrectly, but I DID test it with one of the properly formatted default prefabs (the revolver), and it didn't work. I followed the instructions from the manual using another default prefab and still the weapon is (Inactive). Any help would be appreciated! :)

5. deckard

deckard

Thanks a lot. Actually it took me some time to understand this bug and I could not understand at first why my settings had been lost. In fact I thought that my project had been corrupted somehow and I rebuilt an entirely new project from scratch. It took me a week to get back to the point I had previously reached. lol

And then I realised that the problem was actually due to my default presets not being correctly taken into account :/

6. justinl

justinl

The weapon will show as "INACTIVE" in the inspector if you don't have that particular weapon selected (use the number keys or the Q/E keys to select the weapon). Once it's selected the inspector will change from INACTIVE to showing the proper editable content.

7. Prt0100

Prt0100

Thanks for the response. I tried this before posting and it would still say inactive, and it is never selected in the hierarchy/inspector. I will create a video demonstrating the problem.

8. justinl

justinl

Shot in the dark, but when you duplicated the weapon, did you also update the name of it in the SimpleInventory script attached to the player prefab to the same name as you renamed the weapon in the prefab hierarchy (5RevolverTwo)?

9. Prt0100

Prt0100

That was the best shot in the dark I've ever seen :)

The inspector became active, I will report back with my findings. Thank you very much!

EDIT: It works using the default prefabs, but not with the weapons I have made (Still INACTIVE). After a bit of formatting, this should work.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  10. deckard

deckard

I have found another bug with the states:

1/ launch the game
    2/ hold down the zoom button to switch to ironsight
    3/ hold down the run button and the forward key
    4/ notice that the player starts to move forward but that running is disabled
    5/ release the zoom button
    6/ notice that the player starts to run but the main camera and the weapon camera do not zoom out.

11. justinl

justinl

Glad it's sort of working for you. Double check that you have your CanHave and Have both set to 1 in the SimpleInventory if you haven't looked at those variables.

12. Prt0100

Prt0100

Yup, I'm getting it to work quite nicely. Thanks for your help!

13. jrkienle

jrkienle

14. RetronamicGames

RetronamicGames

15. Prt0100

Prt0100

His suggestion wasn't bad, but it would be a lot of work that's mostly unnecessary. That would be cool once the more important stuff is done like AI.

16. jrkienle

jrkienle

Hey visionpunk, having some errors trying to compile UFPS to work with windows 8. Any idea how to fix these:
    "The type or namespace name 'Hashtable' could not be found"

I have also found that all these errors occur in the file vp_GlobalEvent.cs

Attached Files:

17. justinl

justinl

Are you sure that the UFPS caused those errors? I see in your console that you also have a type or namespace problem and it's on a script that has nothing to do with UFPS. Also, it might help to see the full list of errors if it's not too long considering you also have 13 warnings.

18. Joeymoey5

Joeymoey5

Hey, I was wondering if you were still making UFPS multiplayer. If you are, could you make a tutorial? :)

19. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi, we are currently prioritizing these releases and Windows Phone 8 is on the backburner for now. However, this thread in the official UFPS forum assisted theSoenke in building for Windows Phone 8.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  20. Upstage

Upstage

Hey Vision Punk, I've been looking in the manual for hours but I can't find a solution to my problem. When I fire my weapon, the projectile is fired from a different position instead of firing from the barrel of my gun causing major accuracy issues and I know spread is not the problem because that is set to 0. The bullet ends up about 1.5 degrees left and up off from where it should have been (a straight line from where the barrel is to where the bullet impacted). Would you know what the problem is?

21. SimStm

SimStm

Hi

I'm having issues with "stairs" in my map. For example, the "Player" just can't use the stairs normally, he keeps "locking" between the risers of the stairs.

At the start of the tests, the player controller can't go up through the stairs because the risers are too high for the "collider". Then I've multiplied the risers of the stairs (inside and outside the house) to match the player controller's collider. The oustide stairs he can go up with some "difficult" in some risers, but he can "climb", but the inside stairs, he just can't climb.

Maybe there's some "workaround" for this issue.

If you haven't understand what I said, just tell me. I record and post here to you understand better. :)

22. phato777

phato777

Usually in the case of stairs in a game, I find it best to add a game object as a child and put a box collider on it and then position that, kind of like a ramp. This way the character can move up and down the stairs without getting caught up and without all the bouncing. Also, you could use some code to detect if the player is on this collider and then add a stairs preset to the vp_FPCamera to do some additional bobbing or something to make it feel like the player is ascending/descending the stairs.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  23. SimStm

SimStm

Thank you! Almost "worked like a charm".
    I forgot the box collider component. I've tried previously with the "Plane GameObject" (don't ask me why) but doesn't worked like I wished.With Box Collider looks cool...

But I'm just having a little problem with this. Using the "AdvancedPlayer" prefab (which includes a health system), when he ascends or descends the stairs (which has a box collider), looks like he "falls" from a great height, and lose almost 100% of the health, even if I try to "adjust" to the object's collider, just still happening, it's weird...

Any tip?

24. deckard

deckard

Hi Phato777

It seems that you plan to release the mobile addon of UFPS this month. Have you been able to optimize the physics calculations for this? I have implemented my own Android version of UFPS and it works great so far. But I have noticed that the physics calculations currently take up to 1/3 of the frame. Since my test level is very simple and uses only boxcolliders, I think that most of the physics calculation time is due to the spring joints of the UFPS. (and the various raycasts for the projectiles of course).

The other performance problem which I have already reported occurs when switching weapons, with vp_TimerUpdate taking a huge amount of time.

I hope that the mobile addon will fix those issues and I am looking forward to testing it.

Deckard

25. phato777

phato777

Hmmm... I haven't done extensive performance testing, but I can say I built a mobile level with a 1000x1000 terrain, many trees, rocks, atmosphere fog, a real time mini map, our AI package, and a custom weapon system built on top of the UFPS Melee system and it runs from 30-50 fps on an iPhone 5. If I remove the mini map and AI I get 50-60 fps (The enemies are not mobile optimized characters). The performance is the same (actually slightly better) on a ZTE Awe z800 (http://www.zteusa.com/phones/virginmobile-awe.html) which is an android device. I have realtime shadows on the enemies also and am using object pooling.

$Fullscreen_10_13_13__12_27_PM.png $Fullscreen_10_13_13__12_31_PM.png $Fullscreen_10_13_13__12_32_PM.png

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  26. phato777

phato777

You could either disable this functionality when on that collider by throwing a bool in the vp_PlayerDamageHandler OnMessage_FallImpact method or you could increase the fall impact threshold on the vp_PlayerDamageHandler component.

27. deckard

deckard

Hi Phato777

Thanks a lot for this quick and detailed reply. I am testing my game on a Nexus7 (the first one, not the most recent one), with a Tegra3 processor. I don't know how it compares with an iphone5 or a ZTE awez800. I also have an iphone4 (but I have not tested my game on it yet). Do you plan to include your test level in the release of the mobile addon? I'd be glad to test it on my device and see how it performs.
    What object pooling solution are you currently using btw?

28. deckard

deckard

I am currently using the beta version of the UFPS AI. I'd be happy to purchase the official version which you have released recently on the asset store. What are the differences with the beta version?

I have yet to assess how difficult it will be to expand and/or modify your AI. I'd like to add some additional behaviors and maybe subbehaviors. And moreover I'd like to benefit from Mecanim for my AI.

Are you planning to improve the AI system with Mecanim support anytime soon? Or will you rather focus on multiplayer once the mobile addon is released?

29. phato777

phato777

This test level will be a part of a game I'm making, so it won't be included. The iPhone 5 is a year old technology, I think the Awe is fairly new though. We've built our own object pooling that will be included in the next UFPS update. From what I've seen working with mobile though, is the biggest performance issues lie in the amount of draw calls you have. Reduce the amount of tris in your geometry and your fps will increase dramatically. I'll do some more performance testing this week and see if I can make some more optimizations.

30. phato777

phato777

Both of those AI packages are the same. The AI package is just no longer free. I will be adding mecanim support to the AI and will be working on it more, fixing bugs, adding new features, etc... once the mobile is released. The plugin system for the AI is great. For my mobile game, I needed a way to turn on and off the enemy icons on the minimap. It's a simple task, but being able to create a plugin and it automatically being hooked into all the AI was awesome.

31. Prt0100

Prt0100

I am having problems creating a GUI based inventory. Due to the nature of my game, I can't use the SimpleInventory that came with the plugin.

My problem is that whenever I click with the GUIs open, the cursor snaps back to the crosshair, and I think this happens before the GUI button can register a click. How would I enable/disable the player's crosshair and movement so GUI interaction is possible? I tried to understand the event system but can't seem to figure out how it works. If the answer could be in UnityScript, that would be nice :)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

32. BrandSpankingNew

BrandSpankingNew

" ... once the mobile is released." And may I ask, an approximation only, what month the AI might be released? Not looking for a promise, you know, but a light on the horizon.

33. BrandSpankingNew

BrandSpankingNew

I suggest that understanding MouseCursorZones (as used in all of the Demo scenes, including the AI Demo scene and, most importantly perhaps, as it is used in vp_FPInput) will lead to an answer. Those cases of implementation will all be in C#, but the conversion will make your muscles bigger. :cool:

34. Robert-Briscoe

Robert-Briscoe

Hey guys, I just purchased UFPS as it looked excellent in the demo, and it was really nice to just drop it into my game and see some instant results,however i'm also experiencing really glitchy/jerky collisions when the player collides with meshes and I cant seem to resolve it no matter how much I try tweaking the settings.

A little more info:

When the player collides with a collision mesh and the movement button is held down, this is when jittering occurs. It's almost like it's trying to move through the collision mesh. I noticed that collisions with UFPS have a weird 'softness/bounciness' that could be a contributing factor.

My collisions are fairly simple with the exception of a custom terrain model, which has a simplified collision hull.

I had to scale the controller down to 0.3 as it was tool large by default, not sure if this could also be a cause, but it does seem to be the same at default settings

Finally, I don't get this collision problem when using a standard character controller.

Any help or advice offered would be greatly appreciated!

35. Prt0100

Prt0100

Thanks! I will try this and report back with my results. In the meantimes, if anyone has a more immediate suggestion please tell me!

EDIT: My hypothesis that the crosshair was preventing GUI interaction was accurate. For now, I am going to change the boolean 'ForceCrosshair' when the inventory opens, doing so will allow me to properly click the GUI and disable firing. Thanks BrandSpankingNew for your direction :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  36. perezbalen

perezbalen

How to I map the MouseLook to something else (for instance, the 4th and 5th axis of the xbox 360 controller for windows)?

So far I've managed to map everythitng else from the vp_FPInput.cs, but it seems this script doesn't use the input manager.

thanks.

37. BrandSpankingNew

BrandSpankingNew

I
    I checked the official forum first, so this is a duplicate of what I mentioned there. I don't know if it will be of assistance, but it's probably worth a look ...

@perezbalen, I don't know for sure but maybe looking at this post about a similar topic will help you. There are links there to additional information that may give a clue. ...

http://visionpunk.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/946/#Comment_946

38. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

As far as this goes, I would just tell the vp_Input script to pause the game... It already has a setup to pause the controller...

39. Prt0100

Prt0100

I am not sure how to do this. Right now I'm stuck trying to access the vp_FPInput from javascript, specifically the boolean value ForceCursor. Google searches tell me to move the script to standard assets since C# is compiled first, but doing that breaks the messaging system. If you guys know how I would go about doing this, I would be greatly appreciative.

If I am forced to convert everything to C# and learn the syntax, then so be it. I will eventually need to do so anyways. But for now, any alternative would be nice.

40. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

I honestly have no idea how to access that with unityscript.

C# is not all that hard... Aside from a few differences, the two are mostly the same...

Technically, you should move the folder with all of the core scripts in it to the plugins folder. However, that may break something, so I would suggest asking Phato or VisionPunk...

41. BrandSpankingNew

BrandSpankingNew

Is it really compile order? I don't know. But maybe, just maybe, it is execution order. See this post by Cal.

http://visionpunk.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/32/#Comment_32

I suggest this simply because I have used the UFPS VisionPunk code in conjunction with many of the "older" Unity sample programs where the predominate codebase was javascript (I have yet to get those doggone seagulls from the Island converted to C#, damn!) . A little reordering of scripts has solved lots of problems.... mostly dumb luck, but still ....

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  42. Robert-Briscoe

Robert-Briscoe

Just thought I'd update this with more info on my problem.

Here is a short video showing the jittering/glitching issue:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rprdf0ayHnw

And here is a screenshot of my collision meshes:

As you can see it's nothing overly complicated so I'm not sure why UFPS is having such a hard time with it.

It's so frustrating as there are many features of UFS that would be perfect for my project if I could just fix this damn glitching!

43. BrandSpankingNew

BrandSpankingNew

As posted on the Official Forum.
    @brisck1, I am able to duplicate this by setting the advancedplayer's transform scale to 0.3 in xyz. It behaves exactly as in your video. That is, if I don't adjust the character controllers height and radius.

If I do adjust the character controller height to .22 and the radius to .055 (which happens automatically) then the stuttering goes away. I just played with the numbers until it stopped jerking when the player is rubbing against jagged rocks and walls. I doubt if this is of much help.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  44. Prt0100

Prt0100

I am still having a problem referencing that boolean.. Here is a screenshot. On the right is the execution manager, on the bottom is the console, and on line 159 the actual issue. http://puu.sh/4QZqG.jpg

This is probably a unity issue, but if it's ok with you guys I am posting it here because someone else may be struggling with this. Thanks for any help on the matter :)

45. jrkienle

jrkienle

46. BrandSpankingNew

BrandSpankingNew

@prt0100, I don't use javascript, but it seems to me that using more steps in your "find" might be a way to see what is happening. Check this page.
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/GameObject.Find.html
    Just get the AdvancedPlayer at first. Then, having that, get the component. Naturally, check for nulls at each step until you are sure that you have hooked up to the object that you are seeking. Then try to do your cursor work. It also could be something as simple as doing your work in Awake instead of in Start. (label all of this as guess-work! :eek: )

47. fastbomb

fastbomb

Hey jSoftApps,

I have been wanting to make something similar to Starsiege Tribes for years now. FPS-Z games are my favourite style of game. I will share my findings with you as I make head way with my own project using UFPS.

You should consider looking into the project Legacy FPS which is being made with Unity 3D - http://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/comments/16zz3v/legacy_fps_menus_linux_and_refined_physics_youtube/

Another handy resource is Project.Tribes by Andrew of 5150. He documented the math and physics behind Starsiege Tribes. Andrew also created countless resources for the original game. Additional information can be found at http://archive.is/7SIPz

48. HolBol

HolBol

So does anyone know- how easy would this be to network? To make a standard server-client system? Any issues I should know about?

And also- when i have set up a starting weapon (other than 0), in 1.4.4, the weapon has no ammo and I have to switch to another weapon and back to get it to work.
    Is there a way to do weapon pickup/drop? So you see a gun on the battlefield, pick it up, and drop your current one? rather than this system where it's very much like old FPS games in terms of how weapons are gathered.
    Finally, is there a way to reset weapons and ammo at respawn?

That should be all for now, I'd appreciate the help on this rather handy little package.

49. BrandSpankingNew

BrandSpankingNew

@Fishman92, I don't know about the networking. Networking is usually rigorous. There is a development roadmap somewhere around here ... maybe a few pages back (early October). I believe that the intention is to focus upon Photon (I could easily be wrong, since I wasn't paying much attention to that section ...).

Empty gun:
    Ammo is setup in the inventory system on the player. Give yourself ammo there in the LoadedAmmo field of the weapons.

Pickup/drop:
    There are weapon pickup prefabs. Open one of those up and you will see the script that controls the interaction. Overriding the default behavior could be accomplished.

Respawn:
    Weapon and ammo respawning characteristics are also administered by the simple inventory script. The Clear on Death checkbox may be what you need.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  50. unicat

unicat

Got this working with Advanced AI Pro. I can shoot and damage the ai enemy but my Player don´t get damage from the ai character. Any hints?
    Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.