Search Unity

UFPS : Ultimate FPS [ RELEASED ]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by VisionPunk, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d10sfan

d10sfan

Had a question about using new weapon models. In the built-in weapons, the hands look to be part of the weapon itself. Is that the case? What's the best way to add the hands to a weapon I'm trying to import?

Also, is there a way where the hands could be part of the camera, so any weapon could have hands/arms on it? And you set where the arms should be based off of values, similar to the zooming?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. WillOfTom

WillOfTom

I've been thinking about the same problem. The way I figure you'd have empty dummy game objects attached to where you want your hands to grip the weapon. You'd then parent the hand to that object and the root of the arm back behind the camera, then use IK to animate the elbow/wrist to move in relation to where the weapon's swinging.

Also here's quick video of what I've been using UFPSC with:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  3. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Yes, thats right. Currently you'll need to model the hands into the weapon mesh. Unfortunately I don't have a rigged version of these hands, but here is a zip with the empty hand in MAX and FBX format that you may find useful. Note that the fingers need to be bent / conformed to the shape of the weapon in question and there is nothing automatic in the system to accomodate for this. In short, for now you will have to remodel the hands manually or rig them and pose them, then export to a new mesh consisting of the weapon + hand.

I'm sure this is possible but not without some extensive scripting. Ofcourse you could use a separate hand mesh on the same transform but that would require all weapons to have the same grip shape. I heard that Mecanim may support IK for fingers down the line. Perhaps that will make things easier.

Cheers

Cal

4. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

That's actually a pretty interesting idea. I'm sure it would look cool in motion.

Also, using the system as-is with traditionally animated weapons + hands really takes it all to the next level, even if the animated hands are part of the same weapon mesh. What you do is use some traditional animations (reload, several idle anims, wield, unwield etc.) and let the spring system take care of walking, jumping and the rest. I've been fleshing out the system in this area; you'll be able to drag some pre-defined animations into slots, and have idle animations scheduled with random intervals etc.

AimLessTom, that totally rocks! I love procedural generation. Is it gonna be a full game?

Cal

5. bomberest0

bomberest0

The fps-character (standart fps-prefab from the Demo 2 scene) after a few seconds after the start of the scene falls under the ground when IK (IK-script from mecanim example) is active (another character, NOT a fps-character ).
    If disable IK then all is well.
    ScreenShot1
    ScreenShot2
    ScreenShot3
    WebBuild

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  6. Revolg

Revolg

Sorry if this is a simple question, but I've been trying to get different weapons to zoom at different intensities and I can't do it. It seems to me like its controlled by the player.camera component? I could be wrong. I thought it was just the FOV zoom field but that doesn't do it. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to make a weapon zoom more or less?

7. MattRix

MattRix

This looks awesome, but one issue I noticed during the demo is that if I move my mouse back and forth really quickly, the game kinda lags behind and if I do it for long enough it takes a few seconds to catch up (while smoothly recreating my movements). Is there any way to prevent this? Thanks.

8. d10sfan

d10sfan

Ok thanks. I'll give that a try at some point. Had another question i was hoping you could help. Using the Car Tutorial and found a script that lets you enter and exit a car. It pretty much works until you try to get out, then I get a error saying:

The script is (Javascript):

Code (csharp):
    1. var car : Transform;
    2. var player : Transform;
    3. var exitPoint : Transform; // Place this empty gameobject next to the driver car door.
    4. var doorTriggerLeft : Transform;
    5. var PlayerCamera : Camera;
    6. var CarCamera : Camera; // By default the camera "component" for the car camera should be set to OFF first.
    7. var isPlayerVisible : boolean;
    8. var inCar = false;
    11. function Update()
    12. {
    13.     if (Input.GetKeyUp("f") isPlayerVisible  !inCar) //Asign any key you want to enter/operate vehicle.
    14.         {
    15.             inCar = true;
    16.         Debug.Log("Driving");
    17.         // make player invisible and still standing
    18.         //player.gameObject.SetActiveRecursively(false);
    19.         player.gameObject.active = false;
    20.         // parent player to Exit Point
    21.         player.parent = exitPoint.transform;
    22.         player.transform.localPosition = Vector3(-1.5,0,0);
    23.         // parent PlayerParent to car
    24.         exitPoint.parent = car.transform;
    25.         exitPoint.transform.localPosition = Vector3(-0.3,1.5,-0.65); //Driverside exit point, adjust accordingly per vehicle.
    26.         gameObject.Find("Car").GetComponent("Car").enabled=true; //Enables the script component to operate Vehicle.
    27.         //GameObject.Find("Car").SetActiveRecursively(true);
    28.         car.gameObject.GetComponent("Car").enabled=true;
    29.         PlayerCamera.enabled = false; //Disables the playerCamera
    30.         CarCamera.gameObject.active = true;
    31.         }
    32.         else
    33.         {
    34.     if (Input.GetKeyUp("f")  isPlayerVisible  inCar) //Asign any key you want to exit/park vehicle.
    35.         {
    36.             inCar = false;
    37.         Debug.Log("Walking");
    38.         CarCamera.gameObject.active = false;
    39.         CarCamera.active = false;
    40.         gameObject.Find("Car").GetComponent("Car").enabled=false;
    41.         car.gameObject.GetComponent("Car").enabled=false;
    42.         // make character visible again
    43.        // player.gameObject.SetActiveRecursively(true);
    44.         player.gameObject.active = true;
    45.         PlayerCamera.enabled = true;
    46.         // unparent player from everything
    47.         player.transform.parent = null;
    48.         exitPoint.parent = doorTriggerLeft.transform;
    49.         // parent Exit Point to car gameobject
    50.         exitPoint.parent = car.transform;
    51.         // GameObject.Find("VehicleObjectName").GetComponent("DrivingScriptHere").enabled=false;
    53.         //PlayerCamera.enabled = true; //re-enables player camera
    56.         }  
    57.     }
    58. }
    59. //According to the debug log, the functions below aren't being called.
    60. function OnTriggerEnter(Player : Collider)
    61.     {
    62.     Debug.Log("Trigger Enter");
    63.     isPlayerVisible = true;
    64.     }
    66. function OnTriggerExit(Player : Collider)
    67.     {
    68.     Debug.Log("Trigger Exit");
    69.     isPlayerVisible  = false;
    70.     }

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  9. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Thanks for reporting this, Andrew! I will have to take a good look at how Mecanim and CharacterControllers work together. Don't have time to look into it right now but I will add it to my buglist.

Cal

10. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Sure, see page 21 in the manual for a description of the camera zoom parameters. It can be modified in the inspector or by altering the parameters in the preset text file of the camera state that you are currently working with. To get an understanding of Presets and States, be sure to read pages 11, and 42 through 45.

Hope this helps

Cal

11. dennwood

dennwood

please reply and help me

12. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi MattRix, That sounds very strange. I've tried to reproduce it with no success (started the demo at visionpunk.com, chose "Mafia Boss" example in second screen. Moved my mouse frantically back and forth for so long my wrist hurts :) but the camera stops moving when my mouse does. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong? BTW, what operating system are you on?

Thanks

Cal

13. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

This is due to a bug in the Unity CharacterController. The version that I'm working on will have a workaround preventing this crash from occuring.

If you can't wait, what you need to do is make sure that the vectors / quaternions being used in vp_FPSController.Move and vp_FPSCamera.LateUpdate never become non-numerical, "NaN". This can be checked like so (note: pseudo code):

Code (csharp):
    2. vector.x = double.IsNaN(vector.x) ? 0.0f : vector.x;
    3. vector.y = double.IsNaN(vector.y) ? 0.0f : vector.y;
    4. vector.z = double.IsNaN(vector.z) ? 0.0f : vector.z;
    BTW, if you are working with cars and / or car combat, you will want to check out this post.

Cheers

Cal

14. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hello denwood, I'm sorry you are having trouble downloading the asset from the Asset Store. What you need to do is contact Asset Store support at assetstore@unity3d.com and I'm sure they will help you out.

Cal

15. GGStudios

GGStudios

i also can not download it. they say to contact the seller.

so here i am lol. it keeps saying waiting for server.

16. jrkienle

jrkienle

Hey visionpunk. Is there any way to limit how many times the player can reload?

17. d10sfan

d10sfan

Ok thanks! I may give the NaN check a shot. It only happens every once in a while, the rest of the time it works great, so I might wait til the update.

I'll give the post a look thanks!

Looking forward to the new version. Item pickups sound interesting

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  18. Wrekk

Wrekk

Any possibility for melee support in the future?

19. MattRix

MattRix

Very strange! Now that you mention it, I recently had a similar problem with a different game, where the game lagged behind the input... although in most FPSes (CS:GO, CS:S, BF3, etc.) my mouse works absolutely fine. Good to know that you (and probably most people) don't see the issue!

My system is a pretty standard set-up, Win 7 32-bit, Radeon HD 5700, dual 1680x1050 monitors... I don't really expect there will be much you can do if it's a problem at the OS level... perhaps I should do some tests with Unity myself, although I've never had mouse problems with Unity games in the past.

Cheers, thanks for the answer!

20. GGStudios

GGStudios

nvm the game works now.

was server issues.

question, is there a way to make it so it does now spawn a gun, so its more like just the hand. to give the feeling of his walking with his hand kinda out. also how do you go about making it so he walks with the diffrent styles u gave in the template? i add the fps to a map lvl i made. but needa find out how to make him walk diffrent, aka drunk, or somthing. plus so he doesnt show a gun.

thanls ^_^

21. bubbalovesponge

bubbalovesponge

I created a fully working iOS and PC version with Zombies and so forth.

Once you get the hang of Ultimate FPS Creator it is a lot of fun!

Click Here to View WebPlayer

Lots of more coding to do with these zombies, but at least they move, attack, and die. LOL

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  22. J-F

J-F

I still need some help with the animations. With my own scripts it becomes quite incompatible, And when i start modifying the FPSShooter script. I don't know where to begin because i'm not quite familiar with .cs scripts.

23. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Sure, that's easy with very basic scripting. Though the exact implementation will depend on your game design and the workings of your inventory system. The simplest way would be to just add an ammo clip logic to your player script to bail out of the reload method based on some clips left variable.

24. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi, regarding an empty hand mesh, please see this answer:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/12...era-RELEASED?p=1113703&viewfull=1#post1113703

As you may have noticed, the root Presets folder only contains a few standard generic FPS motion patterns. The "Demo/Presets" folder contains all sorts of experimental motions. For example, the files used for the Astronaut example are:

AstronautCamera.txt
    AstronautController.txt
    AstronautWeapon.txt

The demo (vp_FPSDemo.cs) loads these kind of "brute force" onto the FPSController and FPSCamera components. However, since version 1.3 there is a new state system that you can use to assign the presets in the editor with little or no need for scripting. For more information about this, see the chapters "Presets" and "States" in the manual.

Oh, I just PM:ed you regarding that. Well, just ignore it then.

Cheers

Cal

25. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi bubba,

Can't wait to try this out! However I can't seem to run the webplayer. I have the latest Unity Webplayer installed but your link still prompts me to install Unity Webplayer every time (instead of starting your game). Just FYI.

Cal

26. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi J-F

Please clarify a little bit. What specifically is it that you're you trying to do?

Cal

27. SevenBits

SevenBits

This is cool. ;)

28. thommoboy

thommoboy

Hey i just imported this and no weapons show up just errors when i try to import the prefab for the player any hints?

29. J-F

J-F

What im trying to do is to use animation files in the weapons. For example firing animations for the trigger. But everything i've tried has failed so far...

30. WarpZone

WarpZone

Any chance we could we get a Blender version of that? I know a lot of users here work with FBX, but all users can open a blend file.

You could do this by exporting into a format that Blender can read, then importing into Blender. Here's a thread discussing how to get content from Max into Blender. Here's a tutorial on how to export in the COLLADA format from Max using the OpenCollada plugin. (Apparently Max's native support for COLLADA is borked.)

Good luck. If all else fails, export the mesh as an OBJ and the animated skeleton in as many formats as humanly possible, and I'll try to recreate it as best as I can in Blender. (This may result in slightly different animation/rigging and thus constitute a fork of the model, but that's still better than low-budget users having literally no editable access to the hand.)

EDIT: Oh, I didn't realize they weren't even rigged. Go ahead and export the OBJ and throw it in a zip file along with the textures, and I'll hook everyone up with some amateurish Blender rigging. :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  31. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  32. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hello thommoboy.

Ok, please provide some more info about this issue.
    • What version of Unity are you using?
    • Did you install the latest version of Ultimate FPS Camera (v1.33) by using the Asset Store "Import" button?
    • Does this happen with a clean install of the system (no modifications to the source)?
    • Does the issue happen when you run the example demo scenes, or does it happen when you import the player prefab into a custom scene?

Thanks

Cal

33. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi J-F,

It seems I forgot to reply to the below. Sorry about that. Here goes:

I don't think you necessarily would need to use a separate script. Instead, have a look at the vp_FPSPlayer.cs script. In the "InputFire" method you will notice a number of commented out lines explaining how to play a fire animation. You probably already tried this.

What you need to do is check if the weapon is out of ammo before playing the animation. If in the vp_FPSPlayer script, you can do it like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. if(Currentweapon.AmmoCount > 0)
    3. {
    4.     CurrentWeapon.animation.Play("Fire");    // or whatever code you are using to run the fire animation
    5. }
    If, on the other hand you are in a separate script, you will need to first store a reference to the FPSPlayer object. This can be done in two ways:

1) Declare a public gamepobject in your script called "Player", and in the editor drag the player gameobject from the Hierarchy to the new Player slot on your script in the inspector. You can now do basically the same as above, like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. public Gameobject Player = null;    // this line should go at the top of the class
    3. ..
    4. if(Currentweapon.AmmoCount > 0)
    5. {
    6.     Player.CurrentWeapon.animation.Play("Fire");    // or whatever code you are using to run the fire animation
    7. }

2) The second way to fetch the player object in an external class is to scan the object hierarchy for the player object in your script's Start method. Then you won't have to drag and drop anything in the editor. The fire animation can be cancelled in the same manner as above.

Code (csharp):
    2. public Gameobject Player = null;    // this line should go at the top of the class
    3. ..
    4. void Start()
    5. {
    6.      Player = gameObject.GetComponentInChildren<vp_FPSPlayer>();
    7. }
    Hope this helps.

Cal

34. radiantboy

radiantboy

How do we make this work with stairs? jumping each step is very weird :)

35. J-F

J-F

I managed to fit those codes into the FPSPlayer script. Only changes were that, Currentweapon.AmmoCount had to be changed to
    CurrentShooter.AmmoCount. And it works fine fro me now. Btw you forgot to put a capital letter on Current(W)eapon which caused me problems that unity couldn't identify.

36. J-F

J-F

Still i found a problem which is that when there is only 1 ammo left the firing animation won't play on the last shot.

37. gumboots

gumboots

Hi VisionPunk,

Love the plugin. I've gone through the documentation and can't see a 'use' function. I was going to make my own and then wondered whether you had any ambitions of adding one of your modular scripts with this functionality? For example, if you're looking at an object and are a reasonable distance from it, pressing 'e' would look for a 'UsableObject' component on that object and run 'Used()'? Or is that out of scope?

Thanks in advance!

38. WarpZone

WarpZone

Here you go, and Merry Christmas. This zip file contains the default hand from Ultimate FPS Camera in .blend format, rigged up to the elbow, with Inverse Kinematics on the hand bone as well as each fingertip. It was authored using version 2.64-RC2

Download Blender for free here: http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

Learn how to animate using Blender here: http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/animation/

The origin of the mesh is identical to the original obj, so it should serve as a suitable replacement if you straight-up dropped it into Ultimate FPS camera and removed the old hand, as long as it's in the Transfom hierarchy the same way as the mesh you're replacing. If you just want to pose the hand around a gun you modelled, the easiest way to do that would be by importing your gun into Blender as a mesh, lining it up with the hand, posing your hand, and then deleting the imported gun Object in Blender.

You may be able to re-parent the gun to the hand bone in Unity (after importing the animated mesh, of course,) to get the gun to follow the hand for flinches, gestures, and other simple animations. Obviously this is not a full animation solution, but it's a start. Full animations like reloads would probably require two hands, the gun, a clip and maybe some shell casings to all to be attached to an Armature and animated in Blender. Lining everything up in Unity would be very fiddly otherwise, and writing fully procedural code that can attach the hand to any arbitrary gun would be even more so. That said, I hope some of you find this useful as a starting point for making your own fully-animated FPS hands.

I'm not entirely satisfied with how this one turned out. VisionPunk, if you don't mind my asking, where did you get this hand? If I could get the un-posed version, that would probably be helpful, and if there's a rigged version of it floating around, that would be even more helpful.

Thanks and enjoy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  39. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Thanks WarpZone,
    I Did a mesh modification of this arm/hand for my purposes..but this approach is more versatile.

40. J-F

J-F

Nvermind. This didn't work as well as i tought it would. The method i used like i said in my last post, works only for 1 weapon. But for multiple weapons i start to get errors about the animation file missing on the current weapon. What i'm looking for is more like a modification for the shooter script that has a variable for the firing animation so that you can assign different animations for different weapons.

41. Eqric

Eqric

Hey, i am trying to move the Character controller to my avatar model from FPSPlayer.
    It looks like this:
    FPSPlayer (Root)
    FPSCamera(Child to FPSPlayer)

I have changed the references for vp_FPSController, vp_FPSCamera and vp_FPSWeapon so they can find the new location of the character controller.

But now for the problem.
    The Camera wont move, just rotates around the start location(the rotation seems to be just fine) and the Character controller moves very very slow.
    Any idea what the problem can be?

42. SevenBits

SevenBits

Very nice, thank you!

43. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi radiantboy,

The standard CharacterController upon which vp_FPSController is based has a parameter called Step Offset. This can be used to make the controller automatically slide up steps. If this is not sufficient, I recommend using a tilted plane as invisible collision for any stairway with standard size steps. An oldie but a goodie :) and certainly cheaper from a performance perspective.

44. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi gumboots,

I can definitely see the point of having some generic functionality like this. I don't think it's very far out of scope since it has an application in the majority of FPS games. Good idea. I'll make a note of it. Thx

EDIT: This also means for now you're probably better off making your own implementation. /Cal

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  45. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Awesome, WarpZone. Thanks a bunch! I'm sure many people will find this useful.

The hand was done by a member of my indie game team. I'll see if we by any chance have a rigged version of it lying around. Don't think so, though. The current hand / weapon gfx were made really quick just to provide example gfx for the asset. We actually thought the majority of devs would want to replace them with their own art right away :).

EDIT: All current versions of the arm in different formats: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/12...era-RELEASED?p=1188553&viewfull=1#post1188553

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  46. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi J-F

I think you will want to wait for the version that I'm working on, which has official support for much of what you are trying to do. It will still be a few weeks before it's out, though.

47. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi Eqric,

Hmm, that's hard to say but off the top off my head it could be that the avatar model or something else in the player hierarchy has an active collider, blocking the character controller. I've seen that issue before and it resulted in behavior similar to what you describe.

Hope this helps

48. WarpZone

WarpZone

Glad you like it.

Thanks! Let me know if you find it.

Ha ha ha no. The majority of devs want to do as much as possible with as little time, money, and effort as possible. If your project includes content, they will want the option to use it. They will also want the option to modify it, without spending any more than they already have.

It is true that original content always looks better than licensed content, but not every developer has the resources to invest in original content. Or 3D modelling tools, for that matter. So if it costs you nothing to do so, use .blend and .tga or .png formats whenever you can. It's just a nice bonus.

49. Zozo2099

Zozo2099

Please I need to know if it is compatible with Unity 4! Thanks

50. VisionPunk

VisionPunk

Hi Zozo,

Yes, the current version in the Asset Store has been tested with Unity4. There is a known issue with instantiating the player from script, but if you keep the player in the scene from start it should work fine. If you encounter any issues with Unity4 (it's rather new, still) just PM me and I'll have a look at it.

Cal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.