Search Unity

UE4 vs Other Engines (read before deleting, please)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cally, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cally

Cally

I've been battling between this for quite some time. The main game engines I've been eyeing are the Unreal Engine 4 and Unity. I've also looked at Leadwerks, but the problem is the lack of tutorials, the developer(s) seem to avoid any questions I have, and the community is atrocious (calling me an idiot for trying to help them get rid of spam and stuff) so I don't think I'll look into that much more than I have already. At first, I was definetly going to go with Unity, but I just hate how every feature I want I have to program myself, which takes way too much time, or purchase, which would basically be $200+ for everything I need/want. It's like a P2W model for a game engine, in some manner of speaking. The big reason I wanted to go with it is because of performance as I'm trying to create games for my fiancee (who has a crappy laptop) and I to play together. The Unreal Engine has everything I need including shader editing, BSP brushes which make layout/prototype maps quick and easy, and a lot more. My biggest concern regarding UE4 is the performance, as it is a heavy weight engine designed for next-gen hardware (I guess now current gen, but as I said, my fiancee's computer is... lacking). Leadwerks is kind of inbetween the two performance-wise, as far as I'm aware, though the devs and community are a bit rude. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Which features are those?

3. Archania

Archania

Have you done any programming? Level design? Modeling? what is your experience level?
    You can always download both and try with a very very simple project and see what you like.

hippocoder and Ryiah like this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm going to recommend this path too. That's how I decided to work with Unity. I tried multiple engines and decided I preferred this one, and its community, the most.

hippocoder likes this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

They're free so you'll have to try both out and this is locked because that's the only sane answer.

Feel free to open Unity specific threads on the features you think are missing though.

wbailey79, Archania and Ryiah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.