Search Unity

UE4-Unity scene transfer tool ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darksider, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Darksider

Darksider

Hi. Firstly, I want to mention that this is not an engine war thread. I wish to know if there are tools that bring an entire scene from Unity to Unreal and from Unreal to Unity. It would be nice to be able to build your game in the two engines in the same time...or start a project in one and finish in other.

As for things that could be transfered, beside fbx files:

Metadata conversion
    Objects location, rotation and scale
    Shader data conversion
    Lights

If there is such a thing, it would be nice.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry, I don't believe so.. Best thing you can do is export any scenes as FBX then import them into Unity (re-size in a 3D modeller), snapshot your materials and use something like shaderforge to re-create them.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There is no tool to do so, you will have to do it manually (both ways).

4. elmar1028

elmar1028

I am not sure about UE4, but if you open Unity scene using text editor it will contain data about objects, what's their transform properties, what components do they have and what settings they have.
    That might get you started.

MrLucid72 likes this.
  5. Darksider

Darksider

I have found a docs page that makes a comparration between terms used in Unity and terms used in UE4.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/GettingStarted/FromUnity/

I guess a scene converter could be possible. Still, if some of the comminity creates such a converter, would Unity Technologies allow it ? As I remember, on UE4 forum, someone asked Epic if they could create themselves such a converter, and they responded that for legal reasons they can't do that, but the community can.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't think there's really demand for it unless you happen to have a commercial game and no choice... Think of it it like this, transferring a project to and from UE4/Unity is actually a great way to learn about both engines, and more about gamedev in general.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It would definitely be a niche market. Most developers prefer to switch engines between projects, rather then mid project.

However there are probably a few dollars to be made.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Seems like a nightmare to me, to keep up to date.

Tethys and Kiwasi like this.
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I wouldn't put it past someone somewhere to keep making subtle changes to the format of the scene file to break a tool like this. I could be wrong, but it seems like something someone might do if a tool like this started to make it easy for users to leave.

Switching your logic over would also be a nightmare.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Paranoid much though? I mean who would bother, since the tool works both ways doesn't it?

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Yeah, but chances are it would be used one way more then the other. Not speculating on which way.

But changing engines is far more then just loading a scene from one into another.

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

You would have made a killing in the market a year ago, when all the shiniez fanboyz switched from Unity 4 to Unreal, then back from Unreal to Unity 5.

Unfortunately the shiniez bubble has collapsed and now people will have only valid reasons left to switch between engines.

Ryiah likes this.
  13. Antigono

Antigono

Hi, i dont usually post on Unity forums,
    but there is a tool that i use to make prefabs to .dae ->blender to .fbx -> [other tool], in my case UE4
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/4031

I dont know how it works with entire scenes but in the description it says:
    "you can take assets or your entire scene from Unity to any COLLADA (.dae format) "
    You could make any question to the publisher.

Alex.-

Kiwasi likes this.
  14. imtrobin

imtrobin

It's possible but it;s a heck lot of work. If you can do it, I'm a customer.

Kory-therapy likes this.
  15. Ryiah

Ryiah

You could write a script for each engine's editor that is designed to batch export/import objects in the scenes along with their transforms. This way you're not having to keep up with file formats but rather simply dealing with minor API changes.

16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That's clever. A common format that could then be parsed by plugins for both editors. Do that properly and you could actually set up a work flow where half of your team works in each engine.

Don't ask why anyone would want to do this. Best answer would be because we can.

17. Kory-therapy

Kory-therapy

I found a unity to unreal tool I'm trying to get them to do a unreal to unity plugin tool to :)

I will keep updates in this forum
    Kory

18. sledgeman

sledgeman

Wow ... thx for the link, Kory-therapy.
    Is that Converter really true ? Can´t believe it ! And is it just a optical-illusion, or does it seems that the city-scene imported into UE4 looks on the fly much better ? Anyways, really interesting ! Can also be useful for many things.

19. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have seen some assets I like on UE store, so I have just for fun looked into the possibility. You could create a editor script in UE4 that outputs the scene in some data format (prefibly in a naming convention style so its easy to find the assets later in unity). Make sure you import all assets used (This is were the work will be converting all materials etc). Then in an empty unity use the tool to again to create and position all the assets

20. Ostwind

Ostwind

It does cause there is a lot of post processing effects enabled and there is a skybox contributing to the ambient lighting and reflections.