Search Unity

uDevGames competition starting! Unity quite allowed!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan Czeck, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

http://udevgames.com/

Plenty of talented developers have gotten a good start into the video game dev scene in this competition, and I'm thrilled that it's back! Unity games are 100% allowed, too!

It's close to my heart in part because Unity was a prize in 2004 when I entered. Well, reading the Unity whitepaper at the time is a lot of what got me excited to try and win it. And I did... almost! (I got 2nd) It was released mid 2005 but I got to play with it early, all thanks to winning it at uDevGames.

There are bound to be a lot of really great prizes this year but more important is the experience and connections you will get if you really work hard to contend for prizes. I can name quite a few very successful developers that got their start in uDevGames.

Who will we be remembering from uDevGames 2011?

Cheers and Good Luck,
    -Jon

2. spinaljack

spinaljack

No money prizes? Would have been more interesting if they had unity license going as well.

3. JRavey

JRavey

Releasing source code back into the community seems like it would limit the complexity of games submitted.

4. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Unity has been a sponsor in the past and very well could be one again. Cash has also been a prize in the past and very well could be one again. The prize list grows as the contest goes on. It's community run.

It hasn't been an issue in the past. This isn't the the first year of the contest. In practice no one cares about your source code and you pick the license from a long list.

5. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

I fail to see how…

6. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

Registration is open. See you guys in three months.

7. Muzzn

Muzzn

Is it possible to enter this with windows? (And build for mac).

8. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I don't see why not. Go for it. :)

9. Muzzn

Muzzn

OK, I've spotted a problem.
    I like to write editor tools for myself whilst making games. I like to sell these tools after use. But if I release the source code, then that gets ruined. Also, I can't buy from turbosquid - cos I can't 'redistribute' it for free.

10. IrishNinja

IrishNinja

How do I enter?

11. Muzzn

Muzzn

Go to the website, press enter. Simples!