Search Unity

Udemy courses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caculinares, Dec 26, 2018.

1. caculinares

caculinares

Hello! 2 days ago start a discussion about learning unity.
    What do you think about Udemy Courses?
    I'm currently in a 2D RPG course and I really like it.
    What do you think if I take these 3 courses after I finish the one I'm in?
    - 3d unity by tristem
    - create a 3d rpg by tristem
    - create my first 3d shooter
    Now this is my opinion:
    I think we are in a time where we can learn with better videos, I understand that the most advanced developers criticize these courses, but I think it is because they had to learn reading books since there were no quality videos.
    PD: Sorry for my English! Im learning!

2. Tristen's tutorials are okay IF (!) you follow them and you do the work for yourself too and you don't just watching them doing the thing. Follow along and start at the beginning if you don't understand something look it up on the internet or ask questions here.

hippocoder and Ryiah like this.
  3. Billy4184

Billy4184

The issue with videos comes down to the fact that while beginners tend to be learning through familiarization with many different interrelated general concepts, advanced users are often looking for details one specific thing and do not need to hear about anything else, because they already know about it. Videos make it hard to quickly find what you are looking for, whereas text can use a table of contents and an index.

Frankly I think there are only 2 things necessary to learn Unity well.

1. Good introductory video tutorials - such as Unity Learn have available.
    2. Well-documented complex projects that one can pull apart and mess around with, along with a LOT of practice.

Is Udemy worth it? Maybe, maybe not. There's nothing wrong with paying for tutorials - I have done so for Blender and they helped me an incredible lot, but that's because Blender does not have good quality introductory tutorials for free. But Unity does, and I don't think Unity Learn tutorials can be beat for quality when you are only just beginning.

Once you get past beginner stage, self-managed learning is a skill that is very useful in the long term, and also I find that very few tutorials get into complex stuff, they tend to hang around basic topics that are easy to teach and have wide appeal. I can't comment on Udemy courses but based on their marketing I find it hard to believe they are any different.

It all depends though. If you feel like you're getting your money's worth from Udemy courses right now, maybe there's still a lot they can offer you.

Ryiah likes this.
  4. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Sure. I'm in a Zenva class and I feel it's worth its money. Just make sure you treat it like a textbook and do the work alongside the teacher. If you enjoyed the first one, and the preview videos seem similar in competence, and as long as you have the extra $10 to spend, go for it. People argue you can get the same thing online, but you can't get the forced structure and check ups and whatnot, those help me learn.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. abdo400

abdo400

Can't tell you they are bad, but they won't get you far in Unity. In my opinion they just teach the basic stuff.

6. Auticus

Auticus

I found udemy very helpful in getting a firm footing and foundation.

7. Yeah, but unfortunately it varies author by author. Tristen is one of the better ones there.

Socrates and hippocoder like this.