Search Unity

UCB only error: Shader unsupported: pass Pass has no vertex shader.

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Adam-Sowinski, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Hi,

My project builds just fine but I'm getting this warning in UCB build log. When I downloaded the build and launched it my object with a material that uses this shader is all black. The problem is that my shader pass does indeed have a vertex shader and no shader warnings in the build log when I build the project on my computer - everything displays correctly there.

Is there some UCB limitation regarding custom shaders?

I'm building on Windows. Is bug related to this statement from another post?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  2. SophiaC

SophiaC

Hello,

This sounds like an issue that we're aware of, but just to check - could you PM me a link to your project?

- Sophia

3. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Hi Sophia,

I wrote you a PM :)

4. SophiaC

SophiaC

Thanks, Adam.

This does seem to be an issue that we're aware of. Could you please provide the following information:

Unity version:

XCode version (if relevant):

Source control:

Local build platform:

Build target:

Relevant plugins being used:

Does it build locally from a fresh checkout?:​

It really helps us out if you provide as much info as you can :)

Thanks again!
    - Sophia

5. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Hi Sophia,

Unity version: 5.5.0f3
    Source control: Unity Collaborate,
    Local build platform: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit,
    Build target: Windows standalone 64 bit,
    Relevant plugins: nothing that I can think of.
    Yes it builds locally from a fresh checkout.

Do you know when this bug could possibly be fixed?

6. GreatNimbus

GreatNimbus

Also having issues with UCB and shaders, however mine completely fails to build.

Unity version: 5.5.0f3

Source control: Bit Bucket

Local build platform: Mac OS 10.12.1

Build target: Android

-dmk fixed function shader collection
    -Rain Maker
    -SimpleParticlePack
    -SplineTrailRenderer
    -Playmaker

Does it build locally from a fresh checkout?: Yes

Full build fail log attached

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  7. SophiaC

SophiaC

@Adam-Sowinski While we're aware of this issue, we're still looking for more information to help us resolve it. For example, can you provide any screenshots of what your build looks like after building with these warnings appearing?

Once I have a more definite answer on a time frame for a fix, I will let you know :)

8. stefanob

stefanob

I got the same problem.
    I'm using some custom shaders and everything works when I build locally. But when I build via Cloud only Android works. iOS gives me the following warnings:

285: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Texture_color' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    286: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Texture_color' - Setting to default shader.
    287: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Transparent Color Cutout' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    288: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Transparent Color Cutout' - Setting to default shader.
    289: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Custom/Premultiplied' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    290: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Custom/Premultiplied' - Setting to default shader.
    291: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Transparent Color ZOFF' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    292: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Transparent Color ZOFF' - Setting to default shader.
    293: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Custom/Unlit_SphereInside' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    294: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Custom/Unlit_SphereInside' - Setting to default shader.
    295: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Transparent Color' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    296: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Transparent Color' - Setting to default shader.
    297: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Texture color (Supports Lightmap)' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    298: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Texture color (Supports Lightmap)' - Setting to default shader.
    299: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'GoogleVR/SolidColor' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    300: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'GoogleVR/SolidColor' - Setting to default shader.
    301: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'TextMeshPro/Mobile/Bitmap' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    302: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Transparent Color Cutout(supports lightmap)' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    303: [Unity] WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Unlit/Transparent Color Cutout(supports lightmap)' - Setting to default shader.

The result is invisible meshes. The colliders and scripts seem to work, I just don't see the objects.

Unity version: 5.4.1f1
    Source Control: github/sourcetree
    XCode: 8.0.0
    Local buld platform: MacOS 10.12 for iOS, Win 7 for Android
    Plugins: Happens with shaders for TextMeshPro, GoogleVR but also other custom shaders not used in plugins

9. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Actually, I can't share a screenshot here but I'm using The Lab Rendered shaders, it's very easy to create an empty project, import the Lab Renderer set the shader to vr_standard and build it locally vs in the UCB. Basically all materials that are rendered using vr_standard shader are black.

10. stefanob

stefanob

any news on this?

11. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

@Adam-Sowinski: I pulled down the The Lab Renderer in 5.5.0f3, set it up to build one of the example scenes, and made a build for windows in Unity Cloud Build. Running the build on my windows machine, the objects using the vr_standard shader were rendered correctly (rather than all black as indicated). If possible, can you get me a minimal project that reproduces the issue?

Those warnings are just warnings about compiling in the editor. Since those shaders are d3d11 only and all of our builds run on OSX hardware you will end up with these types of warnings in the build log when it tries to load those shaders in the editor at build time. They should not have any effect on the runtime shaders.

12. GreatNimbus

GreatNimbus

My previous shader error went away and i was able to make a cloud build. However I just tried the other day and now i get a fail for another shader. Which i have attached to this post. The shader should be supported for mobile and builds fine locally.

Attached Files:

13. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

@GreatNimbus: The error for your last build was not the same as the one being discussed here. You ran into the "error communicating with the shader compiler process" problem, which is a known issue that happens occasionally (and we are working with the graphics team to track down the root cause for). Try running another build.

14. TobyKaos

TobyKaos

the issue for shader occured sometimes again for
    VR/SpatialMapping/Wireframe
    UCB 5.5.0p4

15. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

@TobyKaos can you pm me a link to the build?

16. sillyplayground

sillyplayground

I am getting the same warning in my UCB log. I'll PM a link to the build.

17. CDF

CDF

Any updates on this?

I've attached an example which causes the error. Happening when trying to use a Geometry shader.
    The result should be a green plane:

commandBuffer.png

But after build I get:

commandBufferBuild.png

Attached Files:

IgorAherne likes this.
  18. wilberforce

wilberforce

Any advice on fixing this? I am experiencing this error on Unity 5.6.0, OS X El Capitan in standalone build only (in Editor it works fine). I have a wireframe shader that uses geometry shader and get pink material (shader missing) and an error:

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Wilberforce/Wireframe' - Pass '' has no vertex shader.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

IgorAherne likes this.
  19. CDF

CDF

Or an ETA would be nice. Considering whether to develop an alternative that doesn't use Geometry shaders if this isn't fixed within the next 2 months.

20. SophiaC

SophiaC

@CDF @wilberforce I can't find Cloud Build projects for either of you. Could you PM me a link to the affected project?

- Sophia

21. Jens_Restemeier

Jens_Restemeier

Has this ever been resolved, or is there any information what was/is causing this? I'm writing a sizeable replacement shader in Unity 5.4 (no, I can't update to 5.5+ because of middleware problems, and because this is an update for a console game where we are locked into a Unity + SDK combination), and I get
    Code (CSharp):
    2. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'XXX' - Pass 'FORWARD' has no vertex shader
    3. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'XXX' - All passes removed
    for lots of subshaders. Each pass HAS a vertex shader, no compile errors are reported (I tried by intentionally adding syntax errors that were reported correctly), this is a simple fragment/vertex shader without using any advanced features.
    When I look at compile/show code I get this for affected subshaders:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SubShader {
    2. Tags { "QUEUE"="Transparent" "FORCENOSHADOWCASTING"="true" "IGNOREPROJECTOR"="true" "XXX"="YYY" }
    3. Pass {
    4.   Name "FORWARD"
    5.   Tags { "LIGHTMODE"="ForwardBase" "QUEUE"="Transparent" "FORCENOSHADOWCASTING"="true" "IGNOREPROJECTOR"="true" "XXX"="YYY" }
    6.   ZWrite Off
    7.   Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha
    8.   GpuProgramID 25868756
    9. Program "vp" {
    10. }
    11. Program "fp" {
    12. }
    13. }
    14. }
    Models using those subshaders are not rendered. Interestingly changes in a completely different subshader can change which set of shaders fail to compile...

Is there a workaround, or do I have to just try random changes until it works?

22. PPenar

PPenar

@SophiaC This problem still persists with PC Build, Unity 2019.1.12f1 , HDRP 5.7.2 and the newest pack from Nature Manufacture - Forest Environment. Is there any workaround?

23. faolad

faolad

this still an issue in 2019

LilWiebe likes this.
  24. AdamKane

AdamKane

This issue continues to affect our team.

Here's some detail from a support request (case# 1191965):

When a cloud build is completed, a nice results email is sent, including the number of build warnings. My team would love to take advantage of this feature.

Unfortunately, a blank/empty project (for example: a new 3D project template), throws build warnings. Locally, there are no build warnings, but in the cloud, there are 49 warnings.

Because of this, my team can't really "trust" the non-zero build warnings alert since there are quite a few warnings to begin with.

In the past, I've attempted to find a workaround, but the consensus seemed to be that there is no general purpose workaround that would support every situation. Is it possible that there is a workaround specific to our specific situation? For example, our only required build target is Windows 64-bit (no OSX, Android, Hololens, etc, etc.)

More details:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/161Mk3N6j80veH1UTDHqFjWS3pTr9fy5fx6NVwlO7J8o/edit#

faolad likes this.
  25. hjelte

hjelte

Same problem here, MacOS Mojave

26. akeplinger

akeplinger

I'm seeing the same thing 2019.2.12, with limited variations. Tried reimporting files.

Failed to find expected binary shader data in 'Hidden/Internal-GUITexture'.
    (Filename: ./Runtime/Shaders/SerializedShader.cpp Line: 595)
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITexture' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITexture' - Pass '' has no fragment shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Internal-GUITexture' - Setting to default shader.

27. chenhaohuang96

chenhaohuang96

WARNING: Shader
    Unsupported: 'MixedRealityToolkit/InvisibleShader' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    2018.4.10f1 same here?

28. sweazey48

sweazey48

Unity version: Universal Render Pipeline - 2019.3.0f6

Source control: Git Hub

Local build platform: Mac OS 10.15.2

Build target: IOS

-PUN (Photon)

Does it build locally from a fresh checkout?: Yes

Full build fail log attached

Initializing Metal device caps: Apple A9 GPU

Initialize engine version: 2019.3.0f6 (27ab2135bccf)

New input system (experimental) initialized

2020-03-05 10:57:00.318563-0500 Mechroneer[1792:418503] Unbalanced calls to begin/end appearance transitions for <SplashScreenController: 0x10dd7d930>.

Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Particles/Lit': fallback shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Particles/SimpleLit' not found

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Shader Graphs/Props' - Pass 'Universal Forward' has no fragment shader

UnloadTime: 1.230833 ms

DontDestroyOnLoad only works for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.

UnityEngine.Object:DontDestroyOnLoad(Object)

DDOL:Awake()