Search Unity

UCB Impression and Errors

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by ImpossibleRobert, Oct 17, 2014.

1. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I did my first cloud builds today and I have to say, it rocks. It's made super easy, the project is setup in a breeze and then it already starts building. As a result I have an Android APK now that I can install and test. Awesome!

Some observations though:

• I am using GIT from Visual Studio Online, since it offers unlimited repository sizes (5Gb project currently). This could be supported more nicely by allowing BASIC authentication. Currently I have to code my user and PW into the URL which is a no-go.
    • I had to enter a bundle ID. I would have figured it is read from the project preferences itself as there is also a bundle ID specified?
    • Uploading my Android keystore failes every time without giving a meaningful error. I enter everything exactly as in the local dev version where it works but no luck. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that my alias contains special chars "rush 'n' roll" but that is just a guess.
    • The Android build took 3h and 30m. Wow. That is a looooong time. Locally it's around 4 minutes.
    • The web build tried 5 times until it gave up with an error "[Unity] Fatal error! Could not allocate memory: System out of memory!". Does that mean web build is a no-go for me or is there a way to increase memory?
    • There is a link called "Changes" for some builds but when I click on it it states "No changes reported from source control". That is kind of weird you have to admit ;-)
    • I recommend including a QR code on the installs page for Android. It would make it much easier to get the right download link into the phone. Or/and create a typable short URL.
    Since I am focussing on Android and iOS only so far I am super excited about this new possibility. Keep up the good work and I am looking forward to the next version of the UCB. Maybe some of my errors are also gone then. Next step for me is to get iOS up and running. If that saves me from running it on a local Mac then UCB is a must-have I'd recommend to all Windows users!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

Hi @10FingerArmy your message makes us really happy, thank you very much for this note. Please continue to communicate with us (either here in the forums, or in the support area) regarding your experiences with UCB - it will help us a lot to understand what works well and what is still missing and how we can improve the service!

Currently it is not support but there is a discussion about it here.

That's a brilliant question! The main reason is that you can only have one bundle ID in Unity and this can lead to a fail in Android or iOS when you have wrong characters in the ID, so you have to set it up in the project settings, suitable for all builds. But we always work to improve the workflow, also in this case.

That might be the case, if you have time you could try to setup your keystore file without '. We will investigate in this case too.

Probably because it makes a clean checkout of your whole repository every build. As your project is big and Visual Studio Online is free it might save bandwidth for free users which delays the checkout then.

If the problem still occurs, could you please open a support ticket and describe the problem so we can investigate there in detail?

True that! :)

My word! I'm pretty sure we will add this feature soon! I normally use a Scanner App which scans the url for me and opens the webbrowser.