Search Unity

UCB fails to connect to repository - [Possible cause - self-signed ssl cert]

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by dvan, Aug 29, 2014.

1. dvan

dvan

When entering the SVN url for UCB to connect to my repository, I get this error, "Repo is not accessible. Please check your URL and repo settings."

I have made a read-only svn account and double-checked the credentials.
    I'm not sure what the cause of the problem is.
    My best guess is that since our ssl cert is self-signed (which normally causes a browser warning), UCB does not accept the invalid ssl cert (and rightfully so).

I would like to confirm this is the problem before starting the process of getting a valid ssl cert for this one tool.
    Are there any further troubleshooting steps I can take?

Thanks

2. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

Do you know if your SVN server is unicode-enabled? That can cause problems with Unity Cloud Build. But actually, we don't fully support SVN over HTTPS at this time as there is a bug currently which should be fixed soon. Will lack of SSL support prevent you from using the service?

EDIT: Actually unicode-enabled Perforce servers are the problem, not SVN, etc. Please disregard that part

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  3. dvan

dvan

Thanks for the follow-up David.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by SVN server being unicode-enabled. I can say that our repository does handle unicode. i.e. we can submit a file with non-English characters and it is stored/handled properly in the repository.

Re: https. I would have to discuss with the team, but my first guess is that the lack of SSL will prevent us from using the service. Using http to transport our code base to an external service sounds very risky.

4. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@dvan - to clarify, we do support SVN over SSL, but we are seeing that self-signed certificates may cause an error. But we're looking into how to handle this issue. I will update this thread when I have more information.

5. dvan

dvan

Sounds good. Thank you for clarifying.

6. paulbaker

paulbaker

Has this been fixed? I think I'm getting the same problem but with Perforce.

7. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

Hi @paulbaker - This problem was specific to SVN when it was discovered - if you're seeing this error with Perforce it is most likely not due to the same error? One way to test it would be to try using HTTP, but other problems might be:

- your Perforce port is wrong
    - your server is behind a VPN? (is it self-hosted on or on a service?)

If you are unable to make progress, please submit a support ticket on https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/support

8. samizzo

samizzo

I'm possibly also seeing a similar issue with Perforce. My Perforce server is running using SSL with a self-signed certificate. I'm not behind any VPN; I'm hosting my server at home but I have the port open to the world. I am able to connect from different locations (e.g. home, office, cafe, etc). I'm also using a non-standard port. I would imagine using a self-signed certificate would be a pretty common situation. I'll log a ticket with my details.

9. kork

kork

If you need a valid certificate and don't want to spend any money on it, you can get one from the StartSSL guys (http://www.startssl.com/?app=1). You probably won't need an EV certificate for your VCS server so the free certificate from them would be enough to solve your issues. They usually issue it within a few minutes as the whole process is automated.

And no, I'm not getting money from them.

schmosef likes this.
  10. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks for the tip. I got a free cert from them for my SVN server and UCB connected to it without issue.

I'm not getting money from them either--and they're not getting any money from me! LOL!

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  11. samizzo

samizzo

Note that that won't help with Perforce, because you can't connect via SSL to a Perforce server without explicitly calling `p4 trust` on the command-line (or the appropriate API call if you're using a library). However, I believe they've fixed the Perforce issues.