Search Unity

Bug [Ubuntu 22.04] Hub won't launch

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Bastienre4, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Bastienre4

Bastienre4

Hello :),

After my fresh 22.04 install,

I tried installing UnityHub both via the AppImage & via the apt install (as explained here: https://docs.unity3d.com/hub/manual/InstallHub.html#install-hub-linux). None of those installation works. Best case scenario, I can accept the EULA but then nothing happen.

When I install the Hub via the AppImage and INSTAL.sh script, Hub wont launch and I have this error upload_2022-4-11_17-1-17.png
    I tried to apt install fuse, I no longer have this error but hub still won´t launch.

When I launch the Hub after the apt install unityhub method, Hub don´t launch. After a while I have this error:
    upload_2022-4-11_17-3-43.png
    Clicking the Report a bug button does nothing.

Any ideas :(?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  2. Bastienre4

Bastienre4

Also, I found those logs:
    I'm currently trying to find a solution for the libssl thingy, but with no luck

fjolne likes this.
  3. Bastienre4

Bastienre4

FYI, I’ve managed to launch the Hub and login by compiling an older libssl version (since there’s only libssl3 on the new Ubuntu).
    However, I can’t activate any license due to an other error with the ssl (that say to look in the enclosed exception, but unfortunately there's nothing).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  4. Bastienre4

Bastienre4

5. Donitry9257

Donitry9257

same! up!!!!!

6. Bastienre4

Bastienre4

Ubuntu release thursday, I hope someone from Unity will check out the forum at some point...

I took the liberty to report a bug (Case 1421236).

7. diguimaraes_dev

diguimaraes_dev

Hello, I also had the same problem with the new version of Unity Hub.

The previous version was also not running on this new version of Ubuntu "22.04".

I managed to solve it by installing FUSE.

If it helps, follow below the commands for installation until the problem of the new version is solved.

Installing FUSE:

Open the terminal and type line by line.

sudo apt install fuse libfuse2
    sudo modprobe fuse
    sudo groupadd fuse

user="$(whoami)"
    sudo usermod -a -G fuse $user

Download Unity Hub version 2.4.6

https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download

In the terminal, access the Downloads folder.

$ cd Downloads

type

$ chmod a+x UnityHub.AppImage

type

$ ./UnityHub.AppImage

and enjoy!

Screenshot from 2022-04-21 19-21-26.png

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    Texadecimal, lerichard and Bastienre4 like this.
  8. Bastienre4

Bastienre4

Thanks for this. Did you manage to activate your Unity license?

EDIT : I tried this on a VM and it works. However, it looks like we can't have updates for the Hub this way.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  9. diguimaraes_dev

diguimaraes_dev

Yes, in this version of Unit Hub "2.4 "it's easy to activate the license, but in the new version I couldn't even activate it on Windows. This hub is rubbish. Some things shouldn't change.

10. tobagind

tobagind

I don´t know about on ubuntu 22.04 but on my fedora 36 install I had the same issue and I managed to get it working after installing these two packages:

sudo dnf install openssl1.1-1:1.1.1n-1.fc36.x86_64
    sudo dnf install openssl-libs-1:3.0.2-3.fc36.x86_64

fjolne likes this.
  11. tobagind

tobagind

I managed to get it working on ubuntu 22.04 as well

I had to add this repository
    echo "deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-security main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/impish-security.list
    and install
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt-get install libssl1.1

after installing unityhub 3.1.2 works without any problems.

I have tried it on a clean install.

12. Bastienre4

Bastienre4

Thank you for the help.

It should have come from Unity but from what I see they don't care about Linux issues :(

andremamp likes this.
  13. Invector

Invector

Thanks you so much!!! I will post this solution on other threads this was the only solution that worked for me

14. brwndog

brwndog

Excellent thank you!

UBUNTU please update your install guide.

15. s82farahani

s82farahani

ERROR: Licensing SDK logging callback is not registered. Please use 'registerLoggingAdapter' function from the SDK to do so.

ubuntu 22.04
    unityhub 3.1.2

16. lerichard

lerichard

Thanks! i had the same issue, now it works very well.

17. unity_5D-phPVHGMMjQw

unity_5D-phPVHGMMjQw

Thank you, you help me a lot

18. jtyler

jtyler

This worked for me as well! Thank you.

19. Farfi55

Farfi55

Thanks, this did it for me

20. mbskelton

mbskelton

This did the trick for me, kudos to you!

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wow this actually worked...ish Now to overcome the stupidity of failed to execute default browser. Thought it was some issue with snap apps but I replaced the snap version with a normal and still no dice...Unity sure knows how the layer the bs...

22. andremamp

andremamp

What a great job. It worked on my new ubuntu 22.04. I spent days trying to sort it out, but thanks to you, it finally worked

23. SudoPotato

SudoPotato

This did not work for me, as sudo apt update cannot find the location.

It seems I managed to get the hub working by manually installing the libssl1.1 from http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl/, specifically libssl1.1_1.1.1f-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb.

visioncored and fjolne like this.
  24. Alpharegiment

Alpharegiment

Thank You So Much buddy....it perfectly works for me.

25. visioncored

visioncored

Just here to confirm this solution works (using Pop!_OS 22.04 - based on Ubuntu 22.04), without the need to adding a new source list.
    However, you will need to restart your computer for this solution to be effective.

Anyhow, here are the command lines based on the solution provided by SudoPotato.
    wget http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl1.1_1.1.1f-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i libssl1.1_1.1.1f-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    rm libssl1.1_1.1.1f-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb

PS: The last command line code removes the libssl file, to ensure that you do not have that unwanted file in that directory.

26. lzbk

lzbk

I read the thread, so it seems we need to have libssl1.1 working on the system to work with unity… But according to people at askubuntu it seems to be a very bad idea to mix libssl1.1 into Ubuntu 22.04… What would be great would be to use libssl3 in unity. Any plans to do that in the near future?

27. seloran

seloran

For those who still have problems, there is an official workaround with a list of steps, but as mentioned above require libssl1.1 which may not be ideal.

The workaround is mentioned in the OP of the following thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/running-unity-on-ubuntu-22-04.1284083/

However, ideally, the Unity Hub should get patched so it supports libssl3 as well on Ubuntu 22.04 and later soon since as I mentioned in that thread that the workaround is not without consequences.

28. KarlsMaranjs

KarlsMaranjs

This worked for me, though if you are here by this date http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish-security main is no longer supported.

What is really important here is to install libssl1.1. You can do this by following the answer in this post of stackoverflow. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/73251468/e-package-libssl1-1-has-no-installation-candidate

If you get the warning that unity key is deprecated, the solution is here:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1398344/apt-key-deprecation-warning-when-updating-system

29. timhoa

timhoa

Thank you very much for this solution. I finally get UnityHub working.

30. lzbk

lzbk

Again, this solution is just a workaround and might hinder the stability/security of your system.
    I think the explanation given is not justified too well, still the harmlessness of the workaround is not justified any better. The consequences of installing libssl1.1 in the comments of the aforementionned askubuntu thread seem to bend on the "danger" side…
    I'd take this workaround with caution (I'd rather not understand the consequence of what I am not doing than of what I've done…).

We might be getting close to a solution with libssl3 in unityhub3.4.0-β : it seems to launch succesfully in mint 21 ! :D :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  31. lzbk

lzbk

Now unity itself won't work… The errors when trying to load an empty 2D project with freshly installed unity 2021.3.13f1
    upload_2022-11-17_16-46-0.png
    All compilers errors have to be fixed before you can enter playmode! :-(

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  32. densuh

densuh

Windows no longer supports older processors (such as Xeon). Unity, as we can see, ignores Linux.
    Maximum motivation to study open-source programs like Godot. It's sad because time was spent learning Unity.

33. unity_AHANAFRASHID

unity_AHANAFRASHID

This issue is solved for me by installing unity hub beta. Check the forum here