Search Unity

[Ubuntu 19.04, UH 2.0.1] Cannot add existing projects to the list

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by alt3r3d, Jun 4, 2019.

1. alt3r3d

alt3r3d

Hello, I'm using Unity Hub 2.0.1 (but got the issue on 2.0, when installed Hub) and I can't open any of my existing projects, no clue about editor versions.
    So, when I click "Add" button, I get the file explorer as usual, but when I select a project, nothing happens.
    Hub seems to recognize project folders, because I get a message when I select a random folder that is not a Unity project, but it doesn't update the list anyways, so I can't get access to my projects.
    I can also create a new project and then the editor opens, but to open existing project I still need Hub.

I don't know what data to give, so feel free to ask it: I will check this thread very often to get some answers.
    Thanks for reading at least...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Vladimir-Borodin

Vladimir-Borodin

Create new blank project and open it.
    Close Unity and Unity Hub.
    Try to add your project again.

This helps to me.

3. elhana_unity

elhana_unity

Check if your project folder has any non-english characters. I just renamed mine to english and it worked right away.
    Looks like a regression.

4. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

I heard that we have this issue in other threads. Would you please report a bug and we can see why the add does not work?
    @elhana_unity We tested with non-english chars (and even emojis) and it should work. I am wondering if you can share the character that causes the issue with us.

Thanks,
    Afshin

5. elhana_unity

elhana_unity

@afshinity I've sent a bug report already.
    Maybe it is not character related, but my path is:
    /opt/Unity/Projects/тест - wont work, last 4 are russian
    /opt/Unity/Projects/test - works.

6. elhana_unity

elhana_unity

Slightly different path, I checked if fs settings matter...

strace (if it helps):
    stat("/home/elhana/Unity/proj/B5AB", 0x7fffdabffb60) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/elhana/Unity/proj/B5AB/ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    openat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/elhana/Unity/proj/B5AB/ProjectSettings/ProjectSettings.asset", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

elhana@stellarwind:~$ ls -la /home/elhana/Unity/proj/
    итого 15
    drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 3 июн 11 09:11 .
    drwxrwxrwx 10 elhana elhana 11 июн 11 09:07 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 11 elhana elhana 15 июн 11 09:10 тест
    elhana@stellarwind:~$ ls -la /home/elhana/Unity/proj/тест/ProjectSettings/Project*
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 elhana elhana 52884 июн 4 02:29 /home/elhana/Unity/proj/тест/ProjectSettings/ProjectSettings.asset
    -rwxrw-rw- 1 elhana elhana 85 июн 3 00:17 /home/elhana/Unity/proj/тест/ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt

p.s. Case: 1161713
    p.p.s. Looks like utf-16be (last bytes??):
    >>> b'\x04B\x045\x04A\x04B'.decode('utf-16be')==u'тест'
    True

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  7. ConsatDave

ConsatDave

I, too, am experiencing this issue. I do not have any non-english characters in the path. I can see that, in the only log available to me, that UnityHub is trying to perform a read operation on a directory that I try to open. The following is the excerpt from ~/.config/UnityHub/logs/info-log.json:

Code (javascript):
    1. {"moduleName":"EditorPrefLinux","level":"warn","message":"[ { Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, read errno: -21, code: 'EISDIR', syscall: 'read' } ]","timestamp":"2019-06-12T06:59:07.059Z"}
    2. {"moduleName":"EditorPrefLinux","level":"warn","message":"[ { Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory, read errno: -21, code: 'EISDIR', syscall: 'read' } ]","timestamp":"2019-06-12T06:59:07.060Z"}
    I obtained this with
    tail -f ~/config/Unity/logs/info-log.json
    and observing the new entries as they happen. The two entries above are the only entries that appear when opening a project.

In the end, I cannot open any of my projects, which stalls my work. Any attempts to open Unity itself and then open a project through the Editor brings me to Hub in a cruel circle. I have access to a laptop that I can work on in the meantime (exact same versions of exact same software packages) where this issue does not arise. Thankfully, this has allowed me to work, but a 2015 laptop with built-in GPU is not nearly as pleasant to work with as my Ryzen 2700 machine :)

Are there other logs that I can look at to get a glimpse of what is going wrong? Is there an open bug report that I can attach logs to? As my client is paying for a Pro subscription, is there another avenue of help that I can explore to resolve this issue?

I am grateful for any help you can provide. I cannot attach a JSON file to this post, so I have uploaded the log to PasteBin: https://pastebin.com/S3jYnhhH

[EDIT] Here is a tidier log file https://pastebin.com/naYMAC1b that is from a clean install of Unity Hub 2.0.1. Issue persists.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Currently, it seems there is issue with Non-latin based character project name in the Hub on Linux (works for Windows and Mac). We have noted it and will fix it in later update.
    For a workaround for the time being, you may rename the project folder to an English name.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

elhana_unity likes this.
  9. ConsatDave

ConsatDave

I have double checked my path and can confirm that I do not have any non-latin characters:
    /home/dabr/git/gitlab.com/acoemab/ex-hsa-vsa

So while I suffer the same end result, I do not appear to have the same underlying issue as elhana_unity. I will add this to the issue, unless it is clear from the logs that I uploaded that I am using non-latin characters?

For anyone else stumbling upon this issue, the issue in the tracker is https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...annot-be-added-to-the-list-of-projects-in-hub

10. alt3r3d

alt3r3d

I do not have any non-latin characters in my projects name, but some of them have spaces. Could it cause the issue?

11. hunabku94

hunabku94

Hi,
    i'd the same bug in Archlinux so support won't to consider this bug.
    The solution i found is to load project with Editor directly, after project appears in Hub :

/home/alt3r3d/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.1.7f1/Editor/Unity -projectPath /home/alt3r3d/Projects/MyProjet

12. alt3r3d

alt3r3d

I tried this once again and double-checked my path
    Here it is: /home/alt3r3d/Projects/some random test
    This still didn't work...

13. alt3r3d

alt3r3d

Hey, I've tried this, but I got the following:

npm ERR! missing: unity-editor-home@2.2.1, required by unity-editor@5.7.0
    npm ERR! missing: unityeditor-cloud-hub@0.0.15, required by unity-editor@5.7.0
    npm ERR! missing: unityeditor-collab-toolbar@0.7.16, required by unity-editor@5.7.0

Do I need to just install these?

14. alt3r3d

alt3r3d

Oh gosh, I've solved the problem. First, I copied wrong folder so Unity thought this is not a valid project, and second, I had non-latin characters (actually didn't check this with the right folder yet) in my path.

safaGH and hunabku94 like this.
  15. ConsatDave

ConsatDave

I tried to invoke the Editor from the terminal with the -projectPath switch but, for some perverse reason, I end up with the Hub opened with no projects in the project window.

Since you are an Arch user, can you provide me a list of your installed packages? I feel that I must be missing an implicit dependency somewhere...

16. hunabku94

hunabku94

Sure :
    unityhub (AUR)
    dotnet-sdk (dotnet-host and dotnet-runtime installed as dependencies) (community)
    referenceassemblies-pcl (mono installed as dependency) (community)
    referenceassemblies-2.0-bin (AUR)
    referenceassemblies-3.5-bin (AUR)
    msbuild-stable (AUR)
    visual-studio-code-bin (AUR)

i also install unity-editor (AUR) dependencies :
    fontconfig
    libxst
    gtk3
    python
    cairo
    alsa-lib
    nss
    gcc-libs
    libnotify
    libxss
    glibc
    lsof

gvfs
    jq

in visual studio code i install extensions :
    french
    unity3d-pack

if you tell me your graphics card(s) i can help you to install properly drivers

17. ConsatDave

ConsatDave

Thanks for the help. I have the correct drivers installed for my GPU (xf86-video-amdgpu and mesa). I have opened up a thread on the Arch forums in the hope that somebody there will know of something. Here is the link to the thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1852345

I did not have the dotnet sdk, nor msbuild, but they don't appear to make a difference anyway. Thanks for the help.

18. hunabku94

hunabku94

Dotnet and Msbuild are for VSCode