Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ubuntu 18.04 and Unity 2017.4.1 package dependencies

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ReaktorDave, May 1, 2018.

1. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

I don't know why there isn't a simple list of dependencies in the installation instructions but here it is for Ubuntu 18.04 using Unity 2017.4.1:
     sudo apt-get install gconf-service gconf-service-backend gconf2-common gyp lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 libc-ares2 libc6-i386 libgconf-2-4 libhttp-parser2.7.1 libjs-async libjs-inherits libjs-jquery libjs-node-uuid libjs-underscore libpango1.0-0 libpangox-1.0-0 libpq5 libpython-stdlib libssl-dev libssl-doc libuv1 libuv1-dev node-abbrev node-ansi node-ansi-color-table node-archy node-async node-balanced-match node-block-stream node-brace-expansion node-builtin-modules node-combined-stream node-concat-map node-cookie-jar node-delayed-stream node-forever-agent node-form-data node-fs.realpath node-fstream node-fstream-ignore node-github-url-from-git node-glob node-graceful-fs node-gyp node-hosted-git-info node-inflight node-inherits node-ini node-is-builtin-module node-isexe node-json-stringify-safe node-lockfile node-lru-cache node-mime node-minimatch node-mkdirp node-mute-stream node-node-uuid node-nopt node-normalize-package-data node-npmlog node-once node-osenv node-path-is-absolute node-pseudomap node-qs node-read node-read-package-json node-request node-retry node-rimraf node-semver node-sha node-slide node-spdx-correct node-spdx-expression-parse node-spdx-license-ids node-tar node-tunnel-agent node-underscore node-validate-npm-package-license node-which node-wrappy node-yallist nodejs nodejs-dev nodejs-doc npm python python-minimal python-pkg-resources python2.7 python2.7-minimal

Deozaan and wenderRondonia like this.
  2. ahuska

ahuska

Thank you!!

3. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

Btw., I'm still unable to use MonoDevelop on Ubuntu 18.04. Clicking on "Open C# Project" does not open it.

4. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

I've given up with MD on Linux. It's not bundled anymore with the unity installer but following the download link from within Unity (Edit-Preferences-Editor-Download MonoDevelop) gives me a 404 page.

For using VS Code or Rider on Ubuntu 18.04, you'll also need:
    sudo apt install mono-complete

Rider can be easily extracted and started. Upon opening the project, Rider installs it's integration plugin into the project and analyzes the scripts. Nothing more to be done.

VS Code also needs dotnet-sdk. I followed this description:

curl https://packages.microsoft.com/keys/microsoft.asc | gpg --dearmor > microsoft.gpg
    sudo mv microsoft.gpg /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/microsoft.gpg
    sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/microsoft-ubuntu-artful-prod artful main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dotnetdev.list'
    sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install dotnet-sdk-2.1.105

I recommend not installing mono from other repositories as the standard ubuntu repo, because newer versions have conflicts with VS Code's omnisharp extension.

When opening your Unity project with VS Code, it will ask you to install the C# extension (say yes) and automatically install omnisharp. You may optionally install the Unity Debugger extension.

5. Achie1

Achie1

I want to install Unity on Ubuntu 18.04 but I can't. Can you show me how you did it? Thanks

6. senkal_

senkal_

@Achie1
    I recently installed Unity on Ubuntu 18.04.
    Could you share more info what did you try to do and what doesn't work for you?
    Where are you stuck?

Maybe opening a separate thread is a good idea if this will be too big off-topic.

7. Achie1

Achie1

Thanks. I successfully installed Unity 2019.3 on Ubuntu yesterday. Everything works fine. The problem was related to my graphics card

8. senkal_

senkal_

Happy to hear @Achie1 , have fun.