Search Unity

uBuild: In-game modular building system

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by CodeerThijmen, Oct 15, 2016.

1. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Hi, I'm working on a system called uBuild. It's a modular in-game building system.
    Currently you can build using a variety of different pieces and it saves buildings using PlayerPrefs.

In further updates, I'm going to add lots of new features, including:

- Layer system
    - Furniture placement
    - Interact able doors & windows
    - New pieces

Please reply for questions or suggestions.

DevMember likes this.
  2. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

I've just updated uBuild.
    It now has a layer system and interact able doors + windows.

I hope you like it. Please reply for questions/suggestions.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  3. khos

khos

How much will it cost, how can I get it? :)

4. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Hi, thank you for replying.
    I've added furniture placement and descriptions and after the documentation is done, I'll put it on the Asset Store.
    It will probably cost 15$.

5. khos

khos

Cool, will you be able to save the data to external file maybe?

6. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Hi, currently it uses Unity's build-in PlayerPrefs system to save data.
    It rebuilds your buildings using object types, positions and rotations.

7. khos

khos

Ah ok thanks, no serialisation yet, but looks good :)

8. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Thank you. I've actually considered serialization, but I think PlayerPrefs are much easier to edit. May I ask you, why do you think serialization would be a better option?

9. khos

khos

Wouldn't that allow you to save / load your saved objects to external files, then players can share maps etc.

10. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Oh okay, that would be cool. For now, I'll stay with PlayerPrefs since the whole system is based on it (layers, names, player position, etc.). Maybe I can implement serialization in further updates, but than I would have to redo the entire system...

11. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Hi, uBuild is now on the Asset Store.
    Here's the latest demo:

I hope you like it. Reply if you have questions or suggestions.

12. dxgriego

dxgriego

Is it easy to customise? Like for example, I want to be able to make my own bui for it, my own models, maybe add an inventory system to it?

13. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

did you separate input from other logic? so its easy to add support for different platform like AR, mobile etc..

14. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Yes it's using Unity's UI system so it's quite easy to modify. You can add pieces easily as well. It doesn't yet contain an inventory system but it does include a simple example that uses resources in order to place new pieces. Also, if you have trouble changing the interface or integrating your inventory you can always contact me via email.

15. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

You can change some keyboard keys in the inspector and if you have trouble changing the input I'd be happy to show you how to do it. Mobile input would be quite hard since uBuild contains a lot of options that use keyboard input. To integrate this into mobile, the system has to be changed a lot so it has less features and therefore less input to handle.

16. Itsmmmarivic

Itsmmmarivic

Hi, I just want to ask if it is possible to import some stuffs from sketchup and add it to the inventory using this asset? Thanks.

17. Itsmmmarivic

Itsmmmarivic

do this asset have an inventory system where I can actually add new pieces?

18. Itsmmmarivic

Itsmmmarivic

do you have tutorials?

19. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Hi, you can add new pieces in the editor (please see the screenshot). There's no video tutorials for uBuild but it comes with documentation explaining how you can setup new pieces.

Attached Files:

20. Treacle-Games

Treacle-Games

This is a great asset, are planning to enable the changing of textures?
    For example the interior walls having a different texture and floors having carpet.

Regards
    Mark

21. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Hi, I'm working on a big update for uBuild including mobile controls and multiple scene support, so I will also look into this for the update.

22. csofranz

csofranz

HI there,

i see that uBuild currently (in the asset store) is only 2018.x and up. Is there a 2017-compatible Version?

Cheers,
    -ch

23. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Hi, yes the latest update for uBuild was made in Unity 2018 so I submitted the asset using that version. I can check the asset for Unity 2017, but I'm not sure if that'll work.

24. csofranz

csofranz

Thanks for the info - is there anything in the current Version that will prevent it from loading in 2017.x? I believe that if you re-submit to the store using 2017 the store will allow users of that Version to download as well

25. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Hi, I tried resubmitting using Unity 2017, but it breaks the prefabs and some of the scripts. If you would like to use uBuild, please try upgrading to Unity 2018 or higher.

26. csofranz

csofranz

Thank you for the additional information. We currently can't go to 2018 because of its incompatibilities with some of the main shaders we are using. We'll be sure to revisit this great-looking asset if/when we can migrate.

27. magique

magique

@CodeerThijmen This looks really good. Is it possible to use this with a console system game controller for input rather than keyboard/mouse?

28. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

UBuild currently does not have game controller support, it does have Mobile and pc controls.

29. magique

magique

OK, thanks for the quick reply.

30. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Hi ! Just purchased ubuild, getting a couple of errors on latest Unity, like :

'GUITexture' is obsolete:
    'GUITexture has been removed. Use UI.Image instead.'

I should be able to resolve them, but wanted to let you know.

Thanks !

31. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Hmm, actually I am reading here that fixes to that may not be that simple since they could break stuff :

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...and-do-not-get-auto-updated-in-2019-dot-3-0a4

For now I just removed the two files that gave me the errors, they kinda looked auxiliary but they may be breaking something. It's compiling at least.

Would you mind helping me a bit to make this work properly :) ? I really don't like changing the code or removing files from assets :D Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  32. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

One question btw ! Seems like the demo scene is working fine after removing those files, but i had a question.

Is there an easy way to extract the player and the first/third person view out of the camera ? I am creating a tycoon/simulation type of game and my camera rig doesn't have a player at all.

I seem to be getting quite a few errors when trying to not use a player at all. Do I have to work my way around those, or there is an easier method ? If so, can you give me some pointers to make the whole system camera agnostic ?

( I basically want to just be using the mouse for building - think about it like a Sims game)

Thanks !

33. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

I seem to be getting closer to what I want to achieve via removing character scripts from the uBuildManager and just setting a dummy character that doesn't do anything and has no components (because the manager requires a character script).

Looks like uBuild does some camera manipulation on its own though, which is resulting in messing with my own camera. Feels close, but it does seem like i may have to edit uBuild itself to achieve what i want.

I have basically disabled the resources and save/load system as well, I only need the building behavior for this and I will be saving a different way anyway.

Again, any input would be more than welcome :D

34. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Hi, thank you for letting me know about the GUITexture error. Off the top of my head I don't know what could be causing the issue, what version of Unity are you using? I've tried the asset in 2019.3 and it didn't show the error. For removing the character, I'm more than happy to help, please contact me via codeerstudio@gmail.com.

35. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

36. CodeerThijmen

CodeerThijmen

Thanks for the email. I'm aware that GUITexture has been deprecated, it's just that I'm not sure where in the asset I'm using GUITextures :)