Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UBER - Standard Shader Ultra

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Jun 23, 2015.

1. StevenP94

StevenP94

Hello Tom, I just bought UBER and have a question regarding the installation (I apologize if was previously asked but I can't find any reference in the forum):

There is a way to have a working installation without the examples?
    I tried to remove the examples folder but this results in an unstable shader functionality.

I'm missing something?

Thanks in advance

2. moure

moure

From the content examples pack you can import only the shaders folder if you don't want the example scenes/materials/textures/skyboxes.
    [EDIT] You will probably need the internal textures in the textures folder too!

Here is a shot from a photogrammetry asset i am currently working on with uber metallic tesselation shader

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    ikazrima, Malbers, hopeful and 3 others like this.
  3. yong-kyu-lee

yong-kyu-lee

hello i buying ur asset,
    my uber version 1.1b now unity asset store Update 1.1c Uber Shader !
    but i cant download 1.1c version why? ..TT
    asset store only load active menu.

4. tomaszek

tomaszek

1.1c is delivered for newest Unity5.4. It doesn't introduce new features, but compatibility ones.

Tom

5. Eric-Hackathorn

Eric-Hackathorn

Tom,
    I'm trying to load normal maps at run time but having a challenge getting them to operate using UBER. I think normal maps are stored in a special format using two 16-bit values instead of 3 8-bit values. To load normal maps at run time I think I need to skip the 16-bit decoding. In other words change:
    UnpackNormal(tex2D(_BumpMap, IN.uv_BumpMap));
    to just
    tex2D(_BumpMap, IN.uv_BumpMap)*2-1;
    Any ideas where to look inside UBER to make this change?
    Thanks,
    Eric

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

Normals are sampled in UBER_StandardInput.cginc, you can also check some in UBER_StandardCore.cginc.
    I use other sunpacking function - Ctrl+F for "UnpackScaleNormal"

Tom

7. Eric-Hackathorn

Eric-Hackathorn

I noticed in your UnpackScaleNormal function you reference a "UNITY_NO_DXT5nm" that looks similar to what I'm trying to do. Is that something you've defined somewhere or is that Unity?

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

It comes from Unity cginc function set. (refer to their original cginc files for Standard Shader and UnityCG.cginc"

Tom

9. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Hey, just started playing with this awesome asset a few days ago, any idea how can make it work with Unity fog (forward rendering and transparency)? I saw smth about it earlier in this thread but it's not really clear for me.
    Thanks!

10. tomaszek

tomaszek

Find this file UBER_ForwardFogType.cginc and uncomment #define with the fog type you'd like to you in your project. After saving cginc file you need to reimport shaders (Right click - Reimport) on UBER shaders subfolders.

Tom

11. PeterB

PeterB

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 17.54.26.png Upgraded to 1.1c a couple of days ago. This time I can't get the upgrade to work. All UBER shaders render as pink, there are hundreds of shader errors when compiling and the shaders themselves when inspected show no organisation into subsections, etc.

I removed the entire old folder and re-imported (in the right order), but to no avail.

Mac, 5.3.6.p4.

What am I missing?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  12. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Thanks, worked like a charm

13. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Just as a heads up, if anyone is interested:

Got my see through shader to work that I mentioned one page ago. Works with the deferred renderer, and all UBER shaders, by using additional transparent shaders. Details and code here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/se...h-the-deferred-renderer-and-speedtrees.430207

So in case you are also working on an isometric game, are using UBER shaders, and are banging your head against the wall trying to get your characters visible through walls like I was the last 2 weeks... have a look, copy the code to your project, and see if it works for you. :)

nxrighthere and hopeful like this.
  14. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Hey, I'm planning to update my project to Unity 5.4. Does Uber currently support this version(saw people having troubles with it a few pages back)?

Thanks

15. tomaszek

tomaszek

There is dedicated UBER 1.1 for Unity5.4 on AssetStore. After downloading package check verinfo.txt text file - U5.4 compatibility info should be there). I'm saying this, because sometimes users get wrong version from AssetStore (and this is problem of AssetStore) while it's supposed to offer right version for download.

Tom

16. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Thank you, Tom. Will redownload the asset from unity 5.4

17. GrichDesign

GrichDesign

Hello. I did a quick search through the thread but didn't find anyone else bringing it up so sorry if I missed it. I'm getting an error on uber_StandardShadow_Tessellation that is stopping my cloud builds. It says invalid subscript at "XYW"

Has anyone else had the issue?
    Thanks

18. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi, give me exact shader and it's features enabled so I can reproduce the same error. I need Unity version + UBER version to see.

19. VCRhythm

VCRhythm

I imported UBER into a brand new project in 5.5b (in the proper order, of course) and I am receiving an "invalid subscript 'ndotl'" error for 13 shaders.

20. tomaszek

tomaszek

UBER is not suitable for U5.5. It's early beta and Unity chagnes a lot of things in their core files between even minor beta versions. It's hard to follow for shader asset providers like me. I will make it compatible when 5.5 will become more mature beta.

Tom

VCRhythm likes this.
  21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hello! regarding pom, I am wondering if it fades back to parallax then / or normal mapping after a distance? would this be better or worse performance as I notice it in some games and assume it is a feature? thanks :)

22. tomaszek

tomaszek

It could help, but very little - my POM relies on MIP levels of heightmap - so with distance calculations get more and more cheap. If higher MIPs go to white it would cost nothing. (parallax mapping at distance is not necessary either).
    So to answer - UBER got it already optimized :)

Tom

hippocoder likes this.
  23. Rs

Rs

Hi, I'm having an issue with dynamic snow. It looks like z-fighting but I sure have no double faces. This dynamic snow problem seems to happen only when setting the rendering stage to Transparent. I'm using Unity 5.4.1 on Windows 10. Is it even possible to obtain something like transparent ice with snow?
    I had a look in this thread but couldn't find anything about this.
    Please see picture and preset file attached.
    If someone could help that'd be awesome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Tom,

I'm not sure if I miss something with the way the Triplanar Selective shaders are supposed to be applied, but to me they seem a bit crude as only an average color is applied over the seam. The way I know Triplanar mapping (like from V-Ray) is maps are supposed to be mixed/blended into each other at the edges. That average color trick feels a bit simple and I haven't been able to get convincing results thus far.
    Have I maybe missed some important step? If not, do you plan to update the Triplanar shaders with a more sophisticated seam blending?

Thanks!

25. tomaszek

tomaszek

I can't reproduce your issue here (U5.4.0f3, newest UBER) on my example scene ice block. Can change shader to snow one, with or without refraction. Haven't checked if the issue is related to any kind of mesh batching (static batch) though.

Did it for sake of performance. Classical triplanar needs 3x more texture fetches which can get expensive with large amount of textures used + detail (like normal, specular, height, emissive, etc. - all x3). I'm currently researching texture arrays approach which on DX10+ hardware can halp reducing such textuer fetch cost. First I will introduce it to my terrain shaders (RTP) where it's more important (as we have a lot of texture layers).

Tom

Rs likes this.
  26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok, I understand.

You might still want to reconsider offering a high quality Triplanar shader variant. Your shader package is a AAA quality plugin and right now your Triplanar variant doesn't live up to this quality. As such I find additional and potentially expensive texture fetches OK.
    By your reasoning you shouldn't offer things like POM either as these are expensive to calculate, too (raymarching etc.).

You can still offer the cheap Triplanar variant, but I would definitely implement the high-end variant, too. What do you think?

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@SeanM3D AAA isn't this high in quality, and has more restrictions because they choose speed. I'm not sure I've ever seen an AAA game with triplanar. There might be one though, somewhere.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

@hippocoder Ok, you're right. AAA might not have been the term I wanted to use. But still, the UBER shader needs a better Triplanar implementation IMO. The current one doesn't have the quality of the other features the shader offers.

Btw, I don't want to use the Triplanar shader for a AAA title. I am currently working on a highend CAD VR visualization with super heavy geometry. Because we are hitting a vertex limit, we want to save vertices by not using UVs.

29. tomaszek

tomaszek

Witcher 3 (is it AAA ?) uses triplanar but with branching to optimize fetches. I think I need to agree with you both.

As I observe hippocoder's concerns (here and in other threads like ATS3) - his priority is performance. While other users tends to request more quality.

Better quality/features with better performance is what I'd like to have in future releases of UBER and that's my goal (which is actually achieveable) :). So - relax and give me some time. RTP thread will be probably first to present new ideas, then UBER will follow them (when I research nice things for RTP I use it in UBER later or vice versa).

Tom

30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nice plans! I look forward to texture array stuff / new ideas :) very good news thank you. We prefer Uber shaders here so it's more about being allowed to use them on console with perf in mind.

31. Rs

Rs

Thank you for your attention Tom,
    Could you make it work with transparent setup as well?
    Could you share the preset?

32. justtime

justtime

Hi, tomas!
    I am using detail texture for making blood effect, but it specular on the body. How i cant make it less symmetrical? Thanks.

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi, preset is not enough, as shader behaviour depends on textures used. I used your preset, but it didn't maater - it worked. You could try to install newest UBER downloading it from AssetStore under U5.4. Check my refractive/transparent object on example scene. I made tests with this. Then maybe you could figure out what's different in your scenario what breaks it.

Symmetry is matter of uvs used for detail/secondary maps. Your model has symmetrical uv set (primary uvs). With UBER shader (and Standard shader) select UV0 (primary) or UV2 (for details. If no secondary UVs are present on the model UV0 will be used instead.

Tom

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    justtime likes this.
  34. 5LS-Brent

5LS-Brent

Does this asset include source code?

35. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes

36. cptforever

cptforever

Hey Tom,
    I'm trying to get a material to look good on a large mesh (about 15 units tall), I've imported it as suggested in the doc using _POM_Baked.
    There's an issue where as the camera gets closer, this effect happens: http://imgur.com/PBKfgT7
    If I scale the mesh down the issue goes away, likewise, it goes away with a very low depth value or a high max trace steps value (~200). No other options seem to have an affect. Is there an optimal way to alleviate this?
    Thanks for the great addon

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Tom,

Small bug I think - using Unity's new cinematic post with motion blur enabled, and pom materials, a mesh with motion blur behind a model using uber pom, causes shimmering in front even if the moving model is not visible (ie behind a wall with pom).

Is there some depth issues to look into?

38. tomaszek

tomaszek

You request too much from POM algorithm :). It's meant to improve visual relief on surface, while your case is large scale object where you apply POM to shape the whole big structure. Only increasing steps would help, but it will also mean performance issues. In such case it's better for you to use tessellation. If you experience tearing problems you can ask UBER to not displace edges which have discontinuous normals using vertex color. You need to configure it in shader code (beginning of the choosen shader where you will find a lot of #define switches).

Is it problem of POM that write to depth ? Otherwise I see no reason for such problem. I'm not sure at which stage Unity takes motion vectors, but I assume it's separate pass. I need to look into motion vectors docs to see if shaders need any special pass included to solve it (like depth-normals in forward uses dedivcated replacement shader and all custom shaders should have representation there in terms of correct replacement tag).

Tom

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

They have combined it now to an all-in-one effect which is the official way it will be (just a consideration).

40. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi, I'm using Unity 5.4.1 f4 Win 10 and latest Uber from store... after building I get these errors, and the materials are flat
    I also get the error about x,y,z on import like the other guy did

Code (CSharp):
    1. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Specular Setup/2 Sided/ Core' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
    2. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Specular Setup/2 Sided/ Core' - Pass 'DEFERRED' has no vertex shader
    3. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Specular Setup/2 Sided/ Core' - Pass 'PIERCEABLE_DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    4. Shader 'Particles/FXVille Blood World Lighting': fallback shader 'Paricles/Alpha Blended' not found
    5. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Metallic Setup/ Core' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
    6. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Metallic Setup/ Core' - Pass 'DEFERRED' has no vertex shader
    7. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Metallic Setup/ Core' - Pass 'PIERCEABLE_DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    8. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Specular Setup/ Core' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
    9. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Specular Setup/ Core' - Pass 'DEFERRED' has no vertex shader
    10. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Specular Setup/ Core' - Pass 'PIERCEABLE_DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    11. Shader 'Effects/FPS_Pack/FPSGlass': fallback shader 'Effects/Distortion/Free/CullOff' not found
    12. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Metallic Setup/2 Sided/ Core' - Pass 'SHADOWCASTER' has no vertex shader
    13. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Metallic Setup/2 Sided/ Core' - Pass 'DEFERRED' has no vertex shader
    14. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'UBER - Metallic Setup/2 Sided/ Core' - Pass 'PIERCEABLE_DEPTH' has no vertex shader
    15. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/DepthOfField/BokehSplatting' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    16. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/DepthOfField/BokehSplatting' - Setting to default shader.
    17. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/NoiseAndGrainDX11' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    18. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/NoiseAndGrainDX11' - Setting to default shader.
    19. WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/DepthOfField/DepthOfField' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    I am using Just metalic core shaders, deferred, linear, and dx9 i don't have dx11 enabled at all as it slows my laptop down and unity goes weird.. I'm just trying to see if dx11 makes a difference after build.

Thanx again

edit!
    This is error after build

I did check and im using 5.4 version, I also re-download shaders thru store.. Thanx Jimbob
    [/IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  41. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hard to say, but I see that not only UBER shaders got broken but also others (like postFX ones). I'm wondering the reason. As it works in editor, can you force it to run in dx9 mode and check ? I suspect something is not exported under build (like no variants for dx11 while standalone exe requires dx11 by default unless you run it in forced dx9 mode).

Tom

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  42. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Thank you very much for very fast response!

I just did enabled dx11 and set in front of dx9 and made a build, it's working perfectly now and materials are no longer flat, this also fixed the other errors I had with image effects...

Thanx for the tip also about force enable dx9, the error seems to be related to dx9 so i'll just ignore it.

Thank you Sir :D

43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I was wondering if the mesh to terrain blending in RTP can use uber shaders, or they should also use RTP shaders?

one_one likes this.
  44. tomaszek

tomaszek

There is shader group "RTP's geom blending" in UBER package which is meant to do this.

Tom

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks tom! how are your experiments going with texture arrays? I was thinking of using Uber + RTP with World-creator (if it is compatible).

46. tomaszek

tomaszek

As far as I know WorldCreator go well with RTP as it generates regular Unity terrains.

I'm optimistic about tex arrays, when well managed they can be very useful. I will post more info as soon as I have any RTP4 beta draft, but don't even ask me when it will be - priority is first to launch kickstarter for our game, then I can focus more on UAS stuff. Looking at other terrain shading solutions on UAS I wouldn't like now to inspire or guide competitors... Anyway - I'd like to have RTP4 shameless powerful :).

Tom

47. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That makes two of us. I'm willing beta the heck out of it too. In fact, sometimes I feel it has too many options and it should just be a clean targeted thing like Uber is.

It would be cool if asset authors had analytics so they could see just what features even get used or not... which would help their development a lot. Analytics not just for games :)

48. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, sometimes I pump a lot of time into developement of "supercool" feature which is not widely used. In case of RTP4 I'd like to keep things functionaly silck and clean. Having options mean we can't make it one "beutify" button like and inspector will consist of many parts, but we won't have "LOD managers" and other confusing stuff.

Tom

49. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep that was a huge time sink for us using RTP. For you, you know it inside out, but for a user, like my brother for instance who deals with art, it's time consuming, confusing and sometimes we can't figure out how to fix issues either. If you would make some strong decisions like Unity is doing - having 3 performance tiers for example (with mild tweak for each) might work better than infinite options.

We love pom or tess, and lots of texture with high perf I guess. Does anyone really need more?

50. buronix

buronix

Hey!!

One thought about RTP4, Im suing right now RTP3 to implement a procedural world made of chunks, so I needed to remove the most part of the stuff of the relief terrain and keep the basics, Im using only the ReliefTerrainGlobalSettingsHolding and creating and assigning the terrain material manually, It would be awesome to have some minimal core oriented architecture and grow from that to the full implementation for the "normal" user,

Right now I implemented successfully but I needed to do tons of work of extract functionalities from the editor etc to perform my goal, like preparenormals, prepareheights, prepareGlobalNormalsAndSuperDetails, atlases etc, etc...

I would be awesome to have some utilities to perform those operations via api or even have the capabilities out of the box to create and use terrain materials without the need to use the relief terrain monoBehaviour, right now its not viable to use it in runtime, the time to perform all operations for a 257 heightmapResolution, 4 textures albedo: 1024, bump:512, height:256 resolution is almost 500ms (plus all the other unity terrain operations).

Thanks for your time and amazing job are you doing!!