Search Unity

UA 2009: Hard Rock Racing [FINAL VERSION]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Martin-Schultz, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Thanks for all the nice comments and constructive critics, greatly appreciated!!!

Interesting point you bring up there. I actually have low-res mesh colliders, but didn't use them as I saw not such a big benefit compared to the 3 box colliders I use now. But you raise a valid point, I'll put the low-res mesh back in.

Thanks Eric. Motion blur: Yeah, maybe a bit too much. I'll reduce it. Regarding the darken areas: Did you play on a Mac or Windows? I noticed Win seems to be darker. I'll check the darkness, maybe too dark, good point. Instructions: Hehe, I'll raise the speed of the cursor... :)

You want fullscreen? I only disabled it because I saw on shockwave.com that RC Laser Warrior has it disabled too (probably to be still able to see the ads). That was the only reason I disabled fullscreen, I can re-enable it.

Thanks again for the comments, I really appreciate them! Helps me make the game better.

Martin

2. angel_m

angel_m

In Windows(IE), the web player update does not work...
    Impossible to test your game... :(

3. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

I fixed an issue that the additional music didn't get downloaded (weird difference between editor and webplayer) and also re-enabled the right-click, fullscreen menu for those having asked for it! :)

4. Armagon

Armagon

5. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Thanks, I saw that thread, but right now I have not planned to make the souce available as I need to make some money out of it. :) I appreciate your initiative, but right now I won't attend. But funnily, all stuff you see in the game is knowledge spread around in the forums and resource sections, "only" glued together plus a little spice here and there. :)

6. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

I just uploaded a new version with some bugfixes and that version should now work correctly on all machines. Please have a re-test and blast some cars in the air! :)

7. GameLab

GameLab

I like this very much :) love the physic of this buggys - looks really like fun

8. BetaRayBill

BetaRayBill

Lol.. thats a lot of fun!,.. Oversteer bigtime though and perhaps aim the cam up a little higher?

9. MatrixCat

MatrixCat

Rather fun this. My only comment is the arrow pointing to the next waypoint is not very visible - it needs to be tilted a bit more. And are the normals on the arrow right? Cause it looked to me like there was some polys poking through.

10. minevr

minevr

I want play it~~ :D

11. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Thanks for the comments. I'm still working on the game to improve it. Comments are greatly appreciated! :)

Well, the arrow is half-transparent, maybe it's that. I'll look into making it more visible, you're totally right!

@ BetaRayBill: Just a little higher the cam? Or have it adjustable via a button?

12. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

13. Guest

Hello Martin!
    I`ve thought a long time ago about developing a racing car game that is similar to urs and I`ve some questions before developing that kind of a game. If you don't mind, Please answer on the following questions (Thanks in advanced) :

1. Rocket instantion, How do you check where the enemy is? With prefabs? For e.g. when I shoot a rocket, how does it finds the closet enemy?

2. How does the enemy's car driving system is programmed?
    Do you put waypoint on each pointer checker and you just "paint" the way where they have to drive with waypoints?
    And if so, when I shoot on them, they get might get forced out of the track, and they're blocked by a wall, will they be able to get back to the track if they're blocked, or really out of the map?

3. How did you develop the Speed counter(Mph) with the arrow that checks the speed? - I might know how to develop that kind of the thing, the 2 questions above are more important for me.

Thank you again!

14. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

1) Radius check and take the closest enemy that is in front of the car (dot product check).

2) Read this thread and you get the answer :) Yes, "drawing" waypoints is it.

3) It's a simple conversion of the actual speed (in km/h) into a rotation angle.

15. Guest

Hello again Martin,
    And thanks for your fast reply, and thanks for answering on all of my questions.

I also wanted to ask you if the car gets out of the race what happpends? for example I shoot a rocket in it and it's forced alot, It'll drive STRAIGHT to the waypoint it's implemted to?

16. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

It would attempt to drive straight to it as I haven't implemented a system like OpenSteer or alike. I constantly check in each AI car if it is stuck. If so, then I reset it to the last passed waypoint. One way of checking that could be that you measure the distance travelled since the last check. If that distance < x, then reset (as example).

17. lavaslippers

lavaslippers

Hi there!

I really love the game. My brother and I are hoping to make a few games with Unity, I hope we can match your games level of entertainment while being simple!

I have a question about Hard Rock Racing. I find that Firefox 3.5.7 in Mac os 10.6 is laggy when playing flash and unity games. So I tried Safari 4.0.4 to play your game, but when playing hard level 9 Round 'n' Round, Safari disappeared without warning! I opened it again, went to the game and found that it didn't remember my racing success, and I had to start at hard level 5 8-ball again! Yikes!

So I beat the levels again, and after each one clicked the back button to return to the main menu in the game to try to save my progress. Then when I was in hard level 9 again Safari died again. When I restarted the browser the game had me right back at hard level 5 again! Not funny :(

I don't know if this is just Safari being poo or Unity Web player 2.6.1f3 or what. Do you know of any one else having a similar problem? If it's Safari that would be a bummer - Safari isn't laggy with Unity!

The question I have is this: Is there even a slight, remote possible chance that you will make this game multiplayer? It would be ultra-awesome :)

Another question, is there any tiny remote little chance that you could make a level editor, where people set the location of checkpoints and objects and ramps? Please?

Anyway, the game is lots of fun as-is - thank you and good work!

-C

18. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Finally you join the forums lavaslippers.

19. lavaslippers

lavaslippers

Update!

I just started the game in Firefox again (version 3.5.7) from hard level 5, 8-ball, and when I blasted through to level 9 - just clicked on the level 9 button, the browser died! And now it's forgotten my progress and I have to start at hard level 5 again :(

On the plus side I am using a really fun controller! A usb NES controller!! (Nintendo controller). It's lots of fun. I set the up/down buttons to fire missiles, drop mines. Left and right are left and right. Select is restart, start is look behind, B is reverse, A is forward. Tee Hee!

20. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Thanks a bunch for reporting the issue with level 9. I'll go and look what the issue may be.

21. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

You ever fix it?

And bump!

22. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

I hope so. I was able to reproduce the issue on a windows machine. The spawn offset was too low and there is some bug in the physics part that the browser then simply dies if a rigidbody gets spawned within a collider (in my setup, reproducible, sent a bug in to UT).

Does it work for you now?

23. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I never got far enough for the bug :D .

But I will ask my brother and get back to you.

24. Nightcrawler2112

Nightcrawler2112

reminds me of RED ASPHALT

25. moskedball

moskedball

Download for the game? I want to play offline.