Search Unity

UA 2008: Vimto Jetski - Ready for launch! :D

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Joe-Robins, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

UPDATE:

Ok the site is now live so the game is playable :)
    I would have loved to have had more time to test etc but I guess thats the way it goes... Hope you guys enjoy it... and someone see if they can beat ToreTank's impressive time :)

This is the first iteration on the game and if its successful there are possibilities of improving the game and adding more levels etc for the the client...

Ok the game has also been submitted for UA 2008 now

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all, I'm Joe Robins.. some of you may know me from the Chatroom as I normally hang out there 9-5 gmt... for those of you who don't know me, I've been learning unity and how to program for 3 months now. Before this my main experience was with 3d modelling/animation etc So the baptism of fire into the world of programming has been quite a traumatic experience :D but enjoyable...
    The game I have been working on is due for release tuesday the 26th at 1pm GMT but until then we have a small trailer up in place to give you a feel for what the game is about.

http://www.vimtojetski.com

I would also just like to thank everyone in the chat-room for their help and guidance over the past few months. I know for a fact that I would never have been able to achieve this if it wasn't for the support of the community... as it says in the credits to the game "you guys rock!" - see you at Unite '08!

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Looks nice :)

thought the flat plane water physics look very out of place specially when the jetski is falling from that large height ...

3. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

Thanks.. yeah going for more advanced water would have been nice but being short on time and new to unity I decided to keep things simple.

All comments are very welcome everyone!

4. runevision

runevision

The video makes the game look good and fun (I'm looking forward to trying it), but the lack of sound effects was quite noticeable.

Rune

5. drJones

drJones

looks good - very well done for only 3 months with unity ; )

6. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

yeah the main game has full sound effects etc... I could always post one up to show you guys what it sounds like, but then it goes live soon anyway so it seems a bit of a waste of time I guess.

I look forward to hearing what people think and what their best score is :)

7. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Really cool stuff man! This is so inspiring for us that are new to Unity and programming in general, so seeing what can be done in such a short time is awesome!

Looking forward to testing it out this tuesday and I hope to find some easter eggs around! :D

8. IPete

IPete

Congratulations Joe,

Nice to see a fellow Mancunian on the forums too!

Smashing little game - well done. See you at Unite if not before! :)

IPete2.

9. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Dang it, it's just too much fun. How am I supposed to get any work done with you posting this link up? ;)

Congrats - tis a really fun little game and I'm hooked!

Jeff.

10. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

hey thanks a lot for all this positive feedback people!

I know that the game is by no means perfect, but these comments are really encouraging :)

I currently have a few not-so-game-related unity projects to work on over the next few weeks so I am having to get my game development "fix" outside of work.
    I'm beginning work on a 2.5d platformer with a much much darker and grittier tone than the happy world of Jetski's (there is only so many "Weeeee" and "Woah!" 's a man can take) hehe

But yeah... thanks again for the support! And please do rip this game to pieces and vent about any frustrations or problems you find, no matter how subtle, I need criticism :)