Search Unity

UA 2008: Nuddz

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by zambezi, Aug 25, 2008.

1. zambezi

zambezi

Hi all,

here`s our little game for the UA 2008. It results from our physics tests, so be sure to have a real fast cpu :) At the beginning we had about 280 rigidbody at once, though it was playable on a 8 core mac but on a AMD laptop we had a pretty poor performance of 3 frames...We created sets of rigidbodies, to have a maximum of 40 and now it`s more or less playable on slower cpus. By hitting the "f" key you can toggle a FPS counter. Control the character with the arrow keys, with the left mouse button you arm your bomb, while holding down the left mouse button you apply throwing force and finally you throw it with releasing the left mouse button. The next bomb can be thrown when the previous one has exploded.
    Aim at the tower, not directly at your opponent.
    Download your prefered version here:
    ftp://raydgames:nuddzgame@ftp.servage.net
    [/url]

2. zambezi

zambezi

Hi again,

attached, you'll find two screenshots of Nuddz..just in case..
    Comments are welcome!

cheers,
    zambezi

Attached Files:

3. Marc

Marc

Hehe that troll looks crazy.

Nice!

4. tim

tim

Fun concept, I like it. The presentation is very good.

It ran slowly but still playable on my dual 1.8GHz G5. What type of colliders are you using for the bricks?

It took me a little while to figure out that you have to click twice to throw the bomb. I was under the impression that you click, hold for power, then release to throw. Is there a timer on the bomb for any particular reason? I assume that's why you're using the 2-click throwing system.

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Won't run on my Intel Core Duo iMac :( I try launching it and nothing. I checked the console and didn't see any errors so I don't know what's happening.

6. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

Yeah it won't run on my Intel MacBook Pro either... hmm am I missing something?

7. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

Same here, quits straight away on my MacBook Pro.

But, where the heck are you hosting the download? I received the 43MB file in about 2 and a half seconds!

8. Jessy

Jessy

I second all of this, except that mine took a few more seconds (it downloaded at close to 1 MB/sec., which is around half my available bandwidth). Still, very fast.

9. zambezi

zambezi

Sorry folks,

the zip file of the intel version seemed to be corrupted, I replaced it and now it works.
    @tim: we`re using cube collider on the bricks, and yes, there is a countdown when you arm the bomb, just listen to the "beep" sounds.

@RobbieDingo: It`s hosted by servage.net, Which is a totally cool hoster.
    Have a look at www.servage.net. It's cheap, stable and fast. If we recommend you as customers, we both get some 10GB additional webspace...

10. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

Cool game man... I'm at work at the moment so I can't really play it for too long (but I really want to!) its pretty damn hard even on easy setting... I haven't managed to take the guy out yet! any tips on how to go about causing the most destruction? I've been aiming for the windows mainly. Found it a little hard to dodge some of his bombs at times.. prehaps the movement speed of the guy could help with this?

11. drJones

drJones

its a cool idea and nice execution but man this is waaay to freaking hard - took me many tries to nail it even on easy.

-i'd make the enemy less accurate for easy - in general the early gameplay should be much more forgiving for new players.

-the bombs need more contrast with the background, and a audible sound effect when it bounces so you can better tell what is going on.

-since you don't need to do anything else there's no need to click to arm the bomb, just have a new one ready once the thrown one explodes. i find when in the heat of battle i was often confused if i had an armed bomb not and was trying to charge when there wasn't one armed yet.

well done so far ; )

12. mehware

mehware

awesome game, I can't beat it on easy tho because it runs a bit slow on my MBP at 800x600 on good setting. Its really well polished. I think there should be some sort of health pickup!

13. IPete

IPete

Well I managed to get Great Britain on to the highscores table... not sure how long I will last there though!

Nice game guys! Looking forwards to meeting you at Unite 2008.

IPete2.

14. IPete

IPete

Well I managed to get Great Britain on to the highscores table... not sure how long I will last there though!

Nice game guys! Looking forwards to meeting you at Unite 2008.

IPete2.

15. jashan

jashan

Whoa, this is fun! ;-) Looks *very* cool! But I'd agree: Waaaayy to hard ...

What I find most frustrating is that my guy is so slow. I think if I could move quickly, and maybe jump to dodge those bombs, it would be a lot more fun. Also, this other guy seems to be able to bomb me three times as fast as I'm able to bomb him ;-)

I'd also second that having to click to load is confusing. But it's definitely a cool and fun game already! I think if hard was the level of easy, it would be just about right (I tried hard once, and that was ... well ... no fun ;-) ).

I also like the music and how the two guys scream at each other. Really cool stuff!

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

16. zambezi

zambezi

Hello folks,
    thanks a lot for the whole bunch of feedback...
    We`re going to increase the explosion radius in easy mode. As we played it hundreds of times we probably weren`t really able to judge what is easy enough :)
    The health pick up is also a nice idea, maybe we integrate some more pick ups, like some sort of super bomb.
    Of course there are some tricks how to cause the most destruction, but this is what the player is supposed to figure out, so we wont tell at the moment.
    The most important thing is not to aim at the opponent, but at the tower itself - in the upper fifth.
    Maybe we also find a better solution for the controlling, but a self loading bomb is not what we`re heading for, because one wouldn`t be flexible enough this way.
    I`ll let you know when a new version is available.
    Cheers

17. tim

tim

Why not make the bombs load and begin the power meter/timer in one click?

18. zambezi

zambezi

because normally you want to throw the bomb as short as possible before it explodes, so now you arm your bomb, you try to find the best position and you`re still able to dodge the opponent`s bombs in this time, and finally after about 4,5 sec. you throw it, to make sure it will expode as near at the tower as possible.
    Otherwise you always have some kind of dependent relationship between throwing force and the point in time when the bomb`s supposed to explode.

19. drJones

drJones

ahh i see for 'cooking' the bombs (i hadn't tried that i just kept throwing them in the window ; )

in that case i would have maybe a very obvious GUI indicator that you have a bomb ready to go or not. i know you can see him holding one but i think there needs to be something near the top of the screen as that's where your eyes are fixed 90% of the time to avoid the onslaught from above.

: )

20. tim

tim

Are you against the idea of the playable character's bombs exploding upon impact? The opponent's bombs appear to.

edit: after playing a little more, I understand why you would be against it.

21. zambezi

zambezi

Hi all,

a new version is available. We regarded most of your suggestions.
    - The "easy" mode should be much easier now.
    - Health Pickups are available every 35 seconds,
    - some more soundFX,

Feel free to download:
    ftp://raydgames:nuddzgame@ftp.servage.net

Cheers
    zambezi

22. tim

tim

I'm excited to try the updated version but the PPC archive appears to be damaged :(
    Archive Utility, The Unarchiver, and Stuffit all cannot uncompress it successfully.
    MD5 checksum: 557e5b702457ca1c4de5f69c213e4062

23. soad667

soad667

Great update, loved it!
    Yeah, easy is way too easy now. :D

24. zambezi

zambezi

Sorry again, I seem to have a serious problem with my file archiver. Unfortunately I can`t test the PPC Version here, but I uploaded it again, and at least I´m able to unzip it . Sorry for that !!

25. perick

perick

I liked your game a lot!

I noticed from the thread that your problem is the physics of that many bricks...

Just to report on that, I ran it in my macbook white... I was a bit slow but still playable (even with the crappy graphics card).

Do you plan to create incrementally more difficult levels... That'd be a nice player obstacle/reward system.

26. zambezi

zambezi

I´m glad to hear that...
    Maybe I should mention that in every quality setting lower than "good" the simple water shader is used instead of the professional one and the bricks don`t throw particels when hitting the surface- with this setting I even play it on my real slow office laptop.

We already talked about adding some levels, we even thought about complete new scenarios, at the moment we have some commercial projects to do, but when they`re done, we will see how we go on.
    Thanks for your comment, all ideas are most welcome !
    cheers
    zambezi