Search Unity

UA 2008: Downhill Bowling

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by nic, Sep 5, 2008.

1. nic

nic

I'm happy to introduce our UA 2008 entry, Downhill Bowling. Control a bowling ball as it charges down a mountain. Knock down bowling pins and use special pickups to increase your score.
    Hope you have fun with the game and it would be great to hear your feedback.
    www.downhillbowling.com

2. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Hahaha thats one of the most original approaches to bowling I have ever seen... I think with some spit n polish you have one very cool title on your hands. Keep going :)

3. col000r

col000r

Well, I was quite skeptical when I read the name, but I have to say it's surprisingly fun! :)

4. jashan

jashan

That's a very cool game!!! I'd say "the perfect casual game" :)

The only thing I didn't like was getting lost 2 times in the third level. That happened to me on the second ... hm ... how to describe ... well, where you have to stay in the "center" or you'll fall down the left or right hand side. The first one of those I find quite easy, but the second shook me off two times, and the ugly thing was that it took very long to get back on track. The first time, I still tried it, but the second time, I got frustrated ;-)

Another thing I don't really understand are those "make my ball small" power-ups with the things where you can enter when you're small. I found it quite difficult, but one time I actually managed to get in there - but nothing special happened (but I would have expected something special to happen ;-) ).

Anyways, very cool game! Looking forward to the other levels!!!

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

5. artzfx

artzfx

Great concept and a lot of fun to play.

I just had the feeling of wanting to press harder on the right and left arrow keys to make the ball turn harder/faster.

6. Marc

Marc

It feels to slow except when there is boost active from arrows, i would increase the rolling speed also to increase difficulty a little.

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I likey! :)

8. soad667

soad667

Impressive! Really fun to play...
    Congrats............ :D

9. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

Hey Nic,
    I have to admit , this has been the fun game i have played in a long time, Its just so simple and fun to play, love to see more power-ups, like dual Balls and how about some Lazer from space :), I didn't like killing the sheep though .

Great work

Steve

10. MikeJ3D

MikeJ3D

I love this game! Team Sonic should be taking notes.

11. jashan

jashan

Me neither. Made me think of WoW with a smile, though... maybe those sheeps could turn into casters of which you pull aggro when you run over them. And then they sheep you as revenge ;-) ... a bit like eating those shroomies, but more severe ;-)

12. perick

perick

Very nice idea indeed. With some graphic polishing, it's a must have... Really addictive.

Congratulations.

13. nic

nic

wow, thanks for the positive feedback, guys!

@Steve
    Thanks, we haven't been able to work on this full time, but we'll polish it as much as we can for UA2008 and continue to improve beyond.

@col000r
    watch out, it might just become a new olympic sport :)

@jashan
    yep, we still need to fully implement 'out of bound' collisions. Still trying to figure out the best way to get the ball back on track. In that area you are mentioning, though, the idea was to introduce a river on the right side. You can stick to the safe left or try to collect the coins on the ridge with the chance of falling into the river on the right.

The idea behind the "make by ball small" obstacle is that you need to go through it to collect the coin right behind it. I agree with you that it's not enough of a reward, we'll look something better.

@artzfx
    that is the tough part to balance... want to give the ball some inertia to keep it challenging, but also make it responsive. We thought we had it at a good point, but that is why we need more people to test.

@Marc
    we might increase the max speed... or maybe add a way to increase it if you press the 'up' arrow?

@bigkahuna, soad667, MikeJ, perick
    thanks!

@orbitsteve
    dual balls could be fun... we'll definitely try to introduce more power-ups as you progress.

@orbitsteve, jashan
    Technically, we were not really thinking about killing the sheep, just knocking them out. Maybe we'll have to add a cartooony effect and have them get back up if they land back on the track. Or is issue with the actual gameplay element?

14. Clumsy Cliff

Clumsy Cliff

Lotsa fun! Very original and rather addictive!

15. nickavv

nickavv

Very awesome! I got the high score on level 2. ;)

16. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

this game is so cool that I didn't realize that 3 people were undermining my seat! I love it and in my book it would win a competition as is. :D

17. crockett

crockett

Very nice little game.. You should toss it up on shockwave and some of the other flash game sites.. I bet you could make some decant money from it on their add programs.

It's one of those addictive type games and that's exactlly the type that can make good money, because people play them over and over.

18. perick

perick

I own level 2 now!

19. etoiles

etoiles

:D
    glad you guys are having fun, and thanks for the very kind comments. We are being a bit sidetracked by other projects until the end of the month, so we need to manage our time wisely and focus on the first 3 levels to make them as solid/polished as possible for the Oct 1st deadline. More levels are coming, though, we promise...

Btw, who is the cheater on Level1? We need to talk :wink:
    cheers

20. perick

perick

I almost finished a cheated level 3 as well... I was on a all-strike run when I missed the last elevated part and went throung the lower valey... I managed to get back several times, collecting everything that I missed and was trying to collide with the last cannon, so I'd get a 6000+...

But somewhere I got off limits, so I couldn't register it. But I think it's possible though...

I have another suggestion... Since there're some obstacles that slow you down, maybe you could have a speedrun version of all levels, where there's a countdown between every bowling-blocks-group.

21. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I like this, but at least for me (I can't say I speak for casual players) I would like a hard mode where everything moves 1.5 or 2 times faster. Other than that it is a pretty good game.

I did get stuck in a trench once. I feel like if that happens the player should be respawned.

22. MikeJ3D

MikeJ3D

i cheated! I prefer to call it, game testing :)

If you get a strike, then turn around and roll past that area again, you'll get another strike. You can pretty much do this forever :p

23. etoiles

etoiles

hehe, I just figured out this bug (feature?) a minute ago... but thanks for letting us know, it is much appreciated. We have been thinking about ways to prevent players to go 'upstream', but haven't found a good solution yet (other than physical barriers/steps). But this infinite points collection will definitely be fixed in the next version.

Regarding speed: yes, we are primarily targeting the casual player, but we also want to make it enjoyable for more experienced players, so we'll try to come up with some different game modes. Increasing speed is a good idea to make it more challenging, but it will affect physics (turning radius, jump distance) so we'll have to tweak the layouts, too. We will most likely do it, it will just require a bit more time to implement.

Cheers!

24. twintower31

twintower31

Hi,
    really addictive, funny.
    My childrens love too !
    Congratulations.

Twintower31

25. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

One heads up for difficulty is that often you can just modify the time scale. RC Laser Warrior did this really well.

Otherwise you might just add different sets of properties for the player depending on difficulty.

Is it ok that I can roll "uphill"?

I am thinking now that it might not be that I feel the game is too slow, but instead that I feel like the ball should go faster on steeper parts and slower otherwise.

26. Sam Shiels

Sam Shiels

Brilliant and fun! Keep it up!

27. nic

nic

I just posted a new update.

The highlights of this build include:
    Updated Menu UI.
    Added Timed Mode with it's own high score table.
    Added a river to level 3 which should help with staying on the path.
    Some tweaks and polish here and there.

Hope you have fun with it!

28. dock

dock

Very cool - again, I was offput by the name, but it turned out to be very fun to play. I didn't like the cannon section at the end though, as controlling up, down and fire were things I hadn't needed to do during the rest of the level.

29. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Haha fun game!

30. UVRadiation

UVRadiation

Great game! nice feel and very fun to play,
    I usually hate bowling games but this one is the first one I liked.
    Keep it up!

31. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Pretty sweet. But lets not forget the music!

I suggest Dethklok.

32. perick

perick

I have a game design complaint/suggestion regarding the timed levels...

Since the only goal is to get to the end faster and hitting at least one pin in each set, there's no point in the coins...

The rocks, cheeps are OK, since they can low your speed.

The suggestion are:

1 - Make the coins give some prize when completelly collected (set), such as a temporary boost in speed;
    2 - Make the timed levels have the same scoring as before, but the time slice between each pin set is a count down... Again, a complete coin set would increse your countdown time.

I think the way it is, the time levels are kind of pointless... Liked a lot the new menu system. Keep up the good work.

33. nickavv

nickavv

I think the coins are fine as is, as collecting a whole set gives you a point bonus.

34. nic

nic

@dock
    I agree that the first time using the cannon can be confusing. We’ll probably add some UI that will help explain the cannon controls.

@perick
    The timed levels work with similar scoring as the regular mode but the points are added to a bonus time, the number under the timer. At the end of the level the bonus time is subtracted from the timer.
    You may have a good point, the bonus time is not as obvious as it should be. We will try to improve it so it will be easier to understand.

Thanks for the feedback.

35. nic

nic

Just completed our final UA2008 build: Level tweaks, new level, achievements, overall spit and shine... we even threw in a bonus raccoon!

Hope you like it. Unfortunately, we had to reset the high score table because of all those changes. Who will be the new champion?

36. etoiles

etoiles

Hint: the raccoon hides in level3 :wink:

37. perick

perick

I haven't played it for a while... It's fantastic in all aspects.

Congratulations and good luck for the rest of us competitors in the contest (I didn't have time to finish the high score system for sperm racer).

BTW: I'm topping level 1 in normal mode now (5400+)

38. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Top score on all four normal levels.

It's an Ass Party my friends! Don't resist! :D

39. etoiles

etoiles

@ perick
    thanks! And good luck to us, too :)

40. holmeren

holmeren

fun game man I had fun thanks!

41. etoiles

etoiles

Thanks! Posts like that are real morale boosters in the morning. :D

Hard at work on new levels... but please keep on sending us your comments, the feedback so far has been very valuable.

Cheers

42. ekeak

ekeak

Very good game. I think this is definitely in the top 3 as far as the UA competition goes. The only improvement I can think of is more levels, haven't found any bugs so far. Oh, well, I guess there was 1 bug but I guess it could be a networking issue on my side. I beat my own top score of #1 for level 2, and it didn't replace. I typed in the same name ("ekeak"). But anyway, I'm number 1 for level 2! w00t!

43. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Not anymore. :D

It's an Ass Party! Don't resist! :D

44. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Ok this is a great game and all, but it's VERY difficult to get a perfect score on anything above the first level. It turns more into a game of chance rather than a game of skill when it comes to getting strikes on the pins. 1 of 3 things needs to be changed in order to make it a little bit more consistent in terms of luck vs skill:

1). The physics of the pins need to be changed a little to make them lighter, or make it so that the pins can't be under-swiped by the ball (which makes it so that other pins behind it can get knocked down).

2). The pins need to be slightly closer together.

3). The ball needs to be slightly bigger.

One thing I noticed as well is that sometimes when you bomb a pin area, a pin might still remain even though all of them were blasted into the air.

45. etoiles

etoiles

@ ekeak: Thanks! We are not aware of any leaderboard submission issues, but we'll keep an eye open.

@ theinfomercial: Can't say I am thrilled to have the words 'Ass Party' at the top of our leaderboard again, but I am glad you enjoy the game. :)

We are tweaking the scoring (make it less exponential) and will be looking at the pins, too.

Cheers.

46. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Sure is an addictive game. I own the regular leaderboards again. I'd like to see someone beat my score for level 4 (not really). :)

Good luck at the contest!

47. Quietus2

Quietus2

You were saying?

48. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

9,000. Yeah...right.

I played through level 4 today in hopes of beating your score. But when I saw 9,000, I immediately said "This can't be right. I got pretty close to a perfect game last time!". Well, turns out I might be right. I played through again and I got a perfect game and quite a few bonuses.

My score was 6,880.

Lets do some basic math, shall we?

I tested the scoring system to see how it worked. Knocking down a whole set of pins earns you 100 points. For every strike you get, you get bonus points based on a multiplier of 100. So on the first set you knock down you get just the 100 points (100 x 1 = 100), but the second one you get 200 points (100 x 2 = 200) plus the original 100 points from the first set of pins which adds up to 300 points.

Simple addition will figure out what a perfect game's final score will be:

100+200+300+400+500+600+700+800+900+1,000 (the 1,000 came from the combined total of the pins you knocked down which is 100 points x 10 sets of pins) = 5,500 without collecting coins.

I ran through level 4 a second time to collect all the coins and hit none of the pins. The score was 1,750 on two separate occasions.

With all this in mind a perfect "score" for level four would be 5,500+1,750=7,250.

I know this is accurate, because I got a perfect "score" on level 1 a while ago and it's 7,150 (although I might have missed a couple of coins maybe). 8)

I don't know how you could have possibly gotten that score, but I noticed that Etoiles said he would tweak the scoring system later but he hasn't it seems. So I'm very sure that the score system hasn't been tampered with.........or has it? Etoiles, anyway you can confirm that Quietus' score is legit? Or if my math on the scoring system is correct? I'd like to know for sure. That way I can go back to either beating Quietus' score, or having the highest score by default.

Quietus, if your score was around 7,000 I would have believed that no questions asked (and I would try to beat it and maybe succeed :D )....but 9,000? That's almost double my previous high score! If you do have a secret, then please share.

49. Quietus2

Quietus2

Lol, the score is certainly not legit. The best I could manage legally was a little under 3000.

In the game he uses the same 4 byte int to track the score as he does to display it. It doesn't matter if you're not tracking scores at a central place, but if you are and don't want hundreds of people corrupting your score tables here's some advice.

a) Use separate variables to track and display score tallies and/or character attributes.
    b) Use some bit twiddling on the tracking variables to hide the actual value.

Shockwave games are especially susceptible to this sort of thing, as flash decompilers are readily available. You simple recompile it with score = 9999999 or such, replace the version in the browser cache with the new one and run the game.

Since you can't decompile a unity game, memory edits are the only direct attack. Using the technique I suggested will easily guard against that, it's fast and easy to implement and relatively hard to get around. You need to follow the machine code to get past it.

50. nic

nic

Thanks Quietus,
    I was just replying to theinfomercial's entry confirming his score calculations were correct and I was looking for a bug.

I'll take your advice on the score data for the next release.

Just removed the bogus entry from the high score table. theinfomercial is back on top of level 4.