Search Unity

Type of issues to expect with Linux Editor?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by msmithUnity, Jan 8, 2019.

1. msmithUnity

msmithUnity

I currently use v 2018.3 Unity editor on Mac with Rider for the IDE, but would like to switch to Linux. I'm okay with occasional editor crashes, but because our product is in production, what we wouldn't be acceptable is if the Linux editor produces builds that are in anyway different...be it buggy or slow or has memory leaks, etc. We primarily build for WebGL. Should I expect those type of issues, or is the build process on Linux as solid as the build process on editors for the other platforms? Also, what type of issues should I expect with the switch? Are there major missing features I should be aware of? Do 3rd party assets often have issues?

Thanks!

2. lovemoebius

lovemoebius

I've been using the Linux Editor for around 4 months now and I have not found any issues in the builds. I've so far built for Windows and Android, so I'm not sure about the WebPlayer, but I doubt there's any difference there.

3. turbanov

turbanov

The Editor is sluggish compared to Windows here. Same machine. Very unfortunate =(

ma1onso likes this.
  4. mikaelK

mikaelK

I have some very annoying things like. I opened up a project and every time I click a terrain it resets some of the world creator and terrain component values to 0. This is a plugin, but it did not happen on windows. I think if you don't have an already existing project with plugins you might find that the rate you advance at some parts of the project has slowed to 20%. Especially if dealing with a lot of editor UI elements. Since editor elements by plugin providers seems t to not work most of the times. I use fedora as os

5. mikaelK

mikaelK

I also have to add that I now tried the 2019 beta and it seems to remember the values and works better