Search Unity

Type-casting problem...

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BlackArcane, Apr 12, 2013.

1. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

I need some help here. I am probably missing something but this script returns "Cannot convert UnityEngine.Component to CharacterMotorMovement. I am trying to access Unity's character controller so that I can implement sprinting to it. Here's my code:
    Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class PlayerSprint : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     public int sprintModifier;
    7.     private CharacterMotorMovement movement;
    9.     void Awake()
    10.     {
    11.         movement = (CharacterMotorMovement)gameObject.GetComponent("CharacterMotorMovement");
    12.     }
    14.     void Update()
    15.     {
    16.         while(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.LeftShift))
    17.         {
    18.             movement.maxForwardSpeed = movement.maxForwardSpeed + sprintModifier;
    19.         }
    20.         movement.maxForwardSpeed = movement.maxForwardSpeed - sprintModifier;
    21.     }
    22. }

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Code (csharp):
    2. movement = (CharacterMotorMovement)gameObject.GetComponent<CharacterMotorMovement>();
    4. or
    6. movement = gameObject.GetComponent<CharacterMotorMovement>() as CharacterMotorMovement;
    and why are you using a while loop ?

3. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

Same error in both cases: The type `CharacterMotorMovement' must be convertible to `UnityEngine.Component' in order to use it as parameter `T' in the generic type or method `UnityEngine.GameObject.GetComponent<T>()'

I am officially stumped. LOL About the while loop, would it work correctly with an if statement?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

change while(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.LeftShift) to if(Input.GetKey(KeyCode.LeftShift)))
    otherwise you will create a infinite loop.

and the problem is that there is no component called CharacterMotorMovement in the standart assets. there is only CharacterMotor

5. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

Well actually there is. It is a class in the CharacterMotor file. Isn't that registered as a component?