Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

✅ Tycoon Tile: The terrain solution for your Tycoon game!✅

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Vanamerax, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Hi @discordbotstudio!

If I understood your feature wish correctly, this is already possible and implemented with the included scripts. In the included demo scene (or the online web demo), you can select the smooth terrain editing mode in the terraformer tool to do this.

By dragging the highlighted selection upwards, it will create a smooth terrain in neighbouring tiles:

This tool uses the DecreaseHeightSmoothConnectedOperation and IncreaseHeightSmoothConnectedOperation operations to accomplish this.

If you have any further questions, please let me know!

2. discordbotstudio

discordbotstudio

Thanks for the quick reply. What I mean was similar to what you are showing, but when only selecting a single vertex on the "corner" of a tile.

In this image you can see how the one vertex is raised, but the tiles around it do not recalculate their triangles to match, as if they are not sharing a common vertex in that corner.

3. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Ah I see. This should be easy to accomplish by making a new terrain operation or by modifying the standard one. The TileHandle and CornerIndex classes contain some helper functions to easily access neighbouring tiles and/or tile corners. If you need specific details I'd be happy to assist!

4. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Hi there!

I have just released Tycoon Tile 1.3.1 on the asset store!

This release fixes a problem that generated chunk colliders with 1 tile overlap on each side of the chunk.

Also with this release comes the availability of the online documentation! There is also an API reference available.

Enjoy using Tycoon Tile!

5. glutexo

glutexo

Hi,
    I'm considering to use this asset.
    But I have a question. How complicated is it to add Tiles which support tunnels?
    And can I use your tile grid to easy implement a node based pathing algo?
    Thank you!

6. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Hi Glutexo!

The mesh generator is an isolated part of the package, which makes it easy to customize for your own needs. As long as you know which 'tile positions' and which side/direction of the tile requires a tunnel, you could simply skip generating triangles for that cliff or surface or generate a different mesh there. I don't expect you to run into specific problems here, but it depends on your specific requirements I guess.

There is no explicit support for node based navigation built in, but using terrain operations makes it very easy to query the tile grid and 'navigate' through the grid by the tile neighbors and positions. I have also seen some customers integrating the Unity navmesh system with success, if that is what you are looking for. Again, this depends on your specific requirements and game rules, which is why there is no built in and standard solution for this within the product. Tycoon Tile does aim to provide an easy to use API surface which is also easy to extend, such that these features can be implemented as desired.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please let me know! :)

unityunity