Search Unity

Assets Tycoon Tile (Coming soon to the asset store!)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Vanamerax, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Hello everyone!
    I am currently working on a new asset that will soon be released to the asset store: Tycoon Tile

What is Tycoon Tile?
    Tycoon Tile is a tile based terrain asset that allows you to create tycoon and city builder games quickly. It can be used in perspective or isometric camera view. Supports intuitive terraforming tools that recreate the classic tycoon game terrain mechanics. Adjust tile height per corner, create rolling hills or steep cliffs. Paint terrain with up to 65536 unique materials. Create water bodies with the click of a button.​

Features:

• High performance jobified unity job system burst compiled
    • Low memory footprint
    • Easily extendible with custom operations
    • Ready to use out of the box
    • Water support included
    • Tested for terrain up to 2048x2048
    • Supports up to 65536 unique materials
    • Includes example runtime terrain generator
    • Includes example user interface & terraforming tools
    • Create custom terrain operations to adapt to your game's needs.

Tycoon Tile is currently in development, but I am eager to hear your thoughts, any feature suggestions or requests. What would you like to see included in this asset? Ideally I would like Tycoon Tile to be the go-to asset for any developer aspiring to create a tycoon or city building game and get them started in minutes.​

If you would like to receive an email on Tycoon Tile's release,
    you can sign up on the product page now.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    digiross likes this.
  2. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

Looks amazing. Remind me of the good old classic Sim City 3 terrain.
    My suggestion is, maybe include also voxel and hexagon grid tiling system.
    So that users have more choices. Of course, your price can then increase too.:)

3. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thank you!:)

I had considered other grid types and forms, however the 'ruleset' for the behavior of the terrain then becomes a lot less clear. With Tycoon Tile, I aim to replicate the terrain rulesets inspired by familiar classic games like Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2, Zoo tycoon and Transport Tycoon and more recent titles such as Parkitect, Rise of Industry, OpenTTD etc.

For example, with the current square grid system there is a rule that each corner of a tile may only differ 1 unit in height from its neighboring corners within that same tile. This means that the height of north east corner of a certain tile may only be 1 unit higher (or lower) than the height of that tiles' south east corner. If you drag the north east corner higher past this point, the neighboring corners height will also increase. This works pretty well for square tiles, since the maximum height difference within a tile is at most 2, like so:

However, when you turn the grid into a hexagon grid, the maximum height difference with such a rule becomes 3 and many more tile configurations become possible. I think that at that point it starts to be confusing to a user or player. You would probably need a completely different ruleset for such grids, which is outside the scope for this asset. The same goes for voxel terrains. Since they are sculptable in all 3 dimensions, you would need different rulesets.

4. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@Vanamerax
    Yup. Those 3 grid type I suggest are totally a new different grid system.
    Which needed to do from scratch instead of modifying current grid system.
    Different formula. They are not interchangeable. So users have more choices.
    Then you can plan to sell in one pack or separately, it's up to you.:)

5. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Maybe for another asset then

6. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

I am currently writing documentation and cleaning up the code. The aim is to submit the package to the asset store in a few weeks!

7. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

I have submitted Tycoon Tile for review!

Hopefully it will be approved within a few weeks :)

A demo will also be released soon on the site!

8. Vanamerax

Vanamerax