Search Unity

Two Winger

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by earthcrosser, Jun 1, 2015.

1. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

I've been working with Unity since 2010. I've released Earth vs Mars, Pluto's Revenge, Andy Appbot, and Alien Checkers to the market. Now I am proud and excited to announce my new project Two Winger! I think it's my best work yet! But don't take my word for it, here's a 30 second app preview

2. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Looks really cool, however im not a huge fan of the simplistic terrain, maybe a bit more detail?

3. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

Thanks for the feedback RavenOfCode, I guess I could add some simple trees and rocks, stuff like that, and maybe a couple extra buildings at each base. That should help to break up the scene a bit.

4. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

I actually quite like the simplistic terrain, its a certain visual style and in my opinion it works. One thought - something you could do is not let the camera come down all the way to the ground, as the games looks best from higher up. When you land the bottom 50% of the screen is useless blank grass, not useful for the player, so its more useful for the player to see more above them when you are grounded or very near the ground, and have the camera centred when you are properly in the air.

Likewise have you experimented with zooming the camera in and out a bit with altitude? I've seen that done well in these kind of side scrollers - it might not work, but worth a try, also moving the camera to the right or left to give more forwards screen space as you fly left and right. All the time keeping it sideways on. Subtle is king here, don't overdo it. Just suggestions.

Anyway, the game looks super cool, the nicest part is the plane movement seems to have a nice feel to it.

5. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

SpaceMammoth, Thanks for your insights I can't wait to give your suggestions a try! I especially see your point about once you are on the ground. the bottom 50% of the screen is entirely useless :)
    I'll share another vid once I experiment with some of the camera tricks you've suggested.

6. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Just wanted to comment with my support as well. This looks pretty fun - and I didn't even notice any of the background art because I was focused on the planes. Usually in art - if you don't notice it - it's correct. It's when something looks off - that's when things stand out.

@earthcrosser do you have links to the other 3 games you mentioned above? I half-heartedly looked around and couldn't find them.

Nice work.

8. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

So it's been a while since my last update, that's only because you know, as much as I'd like it to be this still isn't my real job. So I really like the suggestion about playing around with the camera, so I've finally implemented a version of it. I've also added a mini map that shows which bases you've captured. Here's a 30 second vid of what it looks like with the new camera tracking.

9. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

Wow, I love the new camera movement, it definitely adds something positive and is not too disorientating, keep experimenting with it you are on the right track. This is definitely my kind of game, it makes me want to make a flying game - I'm looking forwards to trying it.

10. czampese

czampese

Looks great - would love to try a demo to see what the control 'feels' like. Love the graphics, and the new camera movement is nice

11. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

@SpaceMammoth Thanks, I'm glad it's inspired you to make a flying game! I'm thinking about opening this game up for collaboration, maybe you could be on my team :)
    @czampese I'll let you know when and if I can make a demo available
    I've heard of something called testerfairy or something like that? Any suggestions on where I could host a demo? I guess what I probably need to do is create a code repo and start using the unity cloud build service.

12. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

I've been working on the camera again. I wanted to keep the enemy planes in view longer, I was worried shifting the camera around would make game play more difficult but I've tried it on my phone and tablet and this is an improvement.
    Now when you get close enough to an enemy plane the camera does a weighted average between you and the enemy currently 70/30 split in this video. The cam focuses back on your plane when either you are about to go off screen (screen port position is less than .2 or greater than .8) or when the enemy is destroyed or is too far away. Here's about a minute video that shows the result. In the first dog fight it's more obvious what is happening.

13. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

Hi Unity,
    Well I decided to go for it and release a version of Two Winger out into the wild. That doesn't mean I'm stopping work; I'll continue to post updates here. Please play, rate and be kind :) I'm hoping to start funding my daughters college 529 account with UnityAd revenue. She's only 2.5 months old and with compound interest over 18 years even the pennies from ads should make a dent. So without further adieu here are the links to Two Winger on google play and iOS app stores.
    Android:
    https://play.google.com/apps/publis...#MarketListingPlace:p=com.evm.twowingerwinger
    IOS:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/two-winger/id998145755?mt=8

I'd also like to thank
    @czampese @SpaceMammoth @theANMATOR2b and @RavenOfCode for chiming in with there comments and helping to make this a better game. I'll continue to listen to your feed back and make and improvements from this thread.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

I got the andriod version. It was enjoyable, however a main menu screen would be nice, and a little tutorial, as the ? button doesnt explain much (like goal of the game, how repairing works, ect.), they might seem obvious to you and me but a little 7 yr old will have no idea how it works/what to do.

Despite me not likeing the terrain in the video, it works quite well in the game itself.

Also the moving of the plane was a bit hard, i felt i was having to move my whole hand all over the screen to change direction, maybe something like the throttle for turning too? That way you can see the fight alot better on small screen devices.

Overall good job, an enjoyable game, keep up the good work.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

@RavenOfCode, good points, I'll start making a better "Tips" screen this week. The graphic is a little deceptive. Instead of swiping your whole hand over the screen, just tap once in the direction you'd like to go. So for instance if you want to turn around, just tap behind the plane. This should make things more enjoyable for you:) I'll let you know when I get that update out.
    Also I'm thinking of making a tilt to turn option

16. earthcrosser

earthcrosser

Just a quick announcement, I've made sharing available with the Every Play game service. You can now unlock different colored planes by sharing your video. And I put in Tilt and Joystick control options