Search Unity

Bug Two Terrain Bugs

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Mortalanimal, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Mortalanimal

Mortalanimal

1) you cannot rotate trees unless they have a LOD on them
    2) you cannot color/tint trees if they do have LOD on them

- Attempting to Rotate trees, then removing the LOD from the prefab so then we can color them, would reset the rotation
    - Attempting to color trees, then adding an LOD onto them, will reset the colors

This is the case weather I change these from within the editor or by code!

I can understand, why it might be hard to color them if they Have LOD, what I cant understand, is why we cannot rotate them if they dont have an LOD???

Cant fix this with the limited API

Thank you

2. warthos3399

warthos3399

We really need more info. Give us a few screenshots, video, or something, so we can see this happening. As i can place any tree, from any asset, and rotate, adjust shaders, textures, and mats, at any time... Maybe a bad script/code, blocking that function?

3. Mortalanimal

Mortalanimal

I am talking about painting trees within the terrain brush/tool, not just placing random trees manually.

Here is a video explaining the rotation problem but not the color problem:

warthos3399 likes this.
  4. Mortalanimal

Mortalanimal

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

What do you expect from bumping threads? If you see a bug, just file a bug report.

6. Mortalanimal

Mortalanimal

your right, this forum seems to be dead anyway

7. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

Not exactly bugs, but design limitations.

The vegetation system is one of Unity's oldest systems, and was designed around the use of the dinosaur that is the tree creator tool. If a prefab doesn't have a LOD group component, the terrain just assumes it's not a tree. So internally, the random rotation/scale doesn't get applied (allegedly). This behaviour was probably designed before SpeedTree was an option.

The color tinting also only applies to tree creator shaders, it seems it is setting the "_TreeInstanceColor" property on the materials. If your shader doesn't have such a property, and uses incorporates it, it will appear to have no effect.

Fingers crossed the new "environment system" is finally going to modernize vegetation, it's been over a decade now :p

wyattt_ and warthos3399 like this.
  8. Mortalanimal

Mortalanimal

thanks for reply, btw whats the "new environment system", I am working on a terrain tool, I am now scared that my tool wont be comparable lol, btw I think I own most your assets!, keep up the good work

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

The upcoming new terrain system from Unity which was put on hold. No public info available.

10. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

That makes two of us :p

I believe there's a thread about it. But it was briefly touched on in the 2019 roadmap video