Search Unity

Two suggestions to improve Scene Search

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Peeling, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Peeling

Peeling

1. Limit hierarchy filtering to the hierarchy window where the search is conducted.

I recently had to perform a repetitive task involving hundreds of scene objects, and ended up having to manually unfold the entire 10,000+ hierarchy and locate them by hand. Searching for them hid the other objects I was trying to link them to, and cancelling the search to reveal them made me lose my place.

2. As well as Name and Type, add an option to Search YAML

I've regularly had to use a text editor to search scenes for particular strings or values, and then manually figure out upon which object they were found. It would be very useful to have an option to perform that search and get a filtered hierarchy of objects directly in the editor.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Good suggestions... here's a cool power user tip:

You can open more than one Inspector window... right click on the tab and open another Inspector. Then you can find the first thing you want and LOCK one of the inspectors (upper right corner). This might help you maintain state with these sorts of bulk things.

Another tip is just get quick at writing short little discardable editor scripts to find all the assets your interested in and do it for you programmatically. It's so easy to write quick stuff to do drudgery like this, once you get in the habit, you'll love it.

EDIT: obviously, you must use source control to make sure your editor scripts don't go haywire and screw up your project!