Search Unity

Two object's y axis look same way?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Gokcan, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Gokcan

Gokcan

Hi All

There are two cubes in my scene. Lets call them cube1 and cube 2. I want cube2's y axis always looks the direction of cube1's y axis. And within that direction I should be ableto rotate cube2 around y axis. To do it: In update method I call:
    cube2.transform.up=cube1.transform.up;

This line of code does first requirement. However I cannot freely rotate cube2 around its y axis!!! Please help me guys. I did so many thing and could not do it.

NOTE: I dont want any parent child solution...

Thanks

2. Doug_B

Doug_B

Of course you can't - because of your requirement. :)

Either Cube2 has it's own rotation, or it is fixed (as per your line of code) to a given value. It can't be both at the same time.

I wonder whether your requirement is actually : "when a change occurs in the rotation of Cube1 around its local Y axis, a similar adjustment should be applied to the rotation of Cube2 around its Y axis". If that is the case, then you would want to record the delta for Cube1's rotation and add that delta to Cube2's rotation.

3. Gokcan

Gokcan

Hi @Doug_B
    Lets say yes: when a change occurs in the rotation of Cube1 around its local Y axis, a similar adjustment should be applied to the rotation of Cube2 around its Y axis.

So my requirement is simple: only y axis looks same direction with cube 1 and in editor I can change cube2 around y axis since it does not change its y direction so that they are looking still same direction:)

4. Doug_B

Doug_B

Ah, I see. :)

You could try this solution given here. It sounds like what you are wanting.