Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Two EditorWindow split in one (side by side)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MidgardDev, Feb 17, 2015.

1. MidgardDev

MidgardDev

Hi there everyone. After a lot of searching and lots of failures I come to Unity's Forums because I can't find a solution for this.

What I'm trying to do is SIMPLY dock Two EditorWindows in one, side by side, just like you can do by simply dragging an editorwindow tab inside another editorwindow.

There's some interesting old solutions I have been through, and the best is the following one:http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/docking-editor-windows-side-by-side-via-script.191437/

Unfortunately I can't seem to find the following classes: DockArea, SplitView, DropInfo. They were supposed to exist, but as they were internal classes at the end of 2013 I guess Unity's people just deleted them, because we can no longer use them.

What I'm trying to accomplish is completely possible as seen in the following video:

But the user who made it just didn't open source his scripts, so here I am, still trying to find a good solution on this.

Again, I have tried lots of methods, also the well known EditorWindow.GetWindow(typeof(ParentWindow)); and this does not work like I want, it's only making tabs, not splitting the window in two in order to get space to both windows simultaneously.

qcbf1 likes this.
  2. MidgardDev

MidgardDev

Someone in Unity's Answers told me that this is no longer possible to do. But still I think there must be a way as seen in that video above.

This is also a bump, to see if new people could help me with this idea!

qcbf1 likes this.