Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Two bones don't work while all the rest work perfectly (FBX from Blender)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Andrzej828, Nov 24, 2023.

1. Andrzej828

Andrzej828

Hello!

Edit: See my comment below for something seemingly even weirder that I just noticed

There's a problem with my rig after fixing some much more extensive problems (I wrote another thread but resolved it offsite). Basically, all the bones are moving as expected except for the toe bones. The toe bones are not parented to anything, they move independently like IK controls, except they are not IK bones. A perpendicular control bone extends from them which controls the toe pivot. The foot is parented to it, and it is parented to the toe.

Would anyone know why this bone's movement is not registering in Unity and how I might be able to fix it?

Thanks!

In Unity:
    upload_2023-11-23_18-32-46.png

The foot rig in Blender:
    upload_2023-11-23_18-33-35.png

Rig hierarchy:
    upload_2023-11-23_18-34-17.png

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  2. Andrzej828

Andrzej828

The strangest thing here is that the game object also seems to be moving. I don't know what these red and blue controls are:
    upload_2023-11-23_18-38-45.png
    upload_2023-11-23_18-39-17.png

3. Andrzej828

Andrzej828

This is really screwing me over, I'm really not sure how to go about this... Please help :S :]

4. spiney199

spiney199

Your toe bones should really be children of the root bone, though this seems like a slightly defective rig.

Generally when you rig a mesh you might really have 2-3 rigs in one, depending on complexity. What you will always have, is one rig that represents the actual bones your model is weighted to. All of these should be children of their nearest bone, up to the root, like an actual skeleton.

Layers two and three (metaphorical layers) are the layer that handle your automatic constraints, and then the layer that represents your actual handles for manipulating the rig for animation. Even then if any of these bones aren't children of other bones, they should be children of the root bone.

5. Andrzej828

Andrzej828

Hmm I'm not sure what to make of this, I followed Royal Skies LLC's tutorials on youtube. Is there a way to get it to work for the rig as it currently is? Should I add more details about the rig for any clarifications? The toe is currently parented to the root.

6. spiney199

spiney199

Well either you've followed the tutorial wrong, or it's not a great tutorial in the context of Unity. The actual toe bones the model is weighted to should be children of the legs bones, like a normal skeleton. The actual bones that manage IK and handles can be separate. This is a pretty normal workflow when rigging humanoid or complex models.

7. Andrzej828

Andrzej828

Hi, sorry to restart this but I have tried a few things and am unable to find any answers. I posted another thread because what I have tried has diverged considerably but, since no one has replied there I was hoping you might be able to offer some suggestion - I have tried two more rigs, once using rigify and once using mixamo. Both times I made sure that only 1 bone was moving for a test animation, the rig and mesh were zeroed out and had no animations on them, and yet, once imported into Unity, both rigs' hip bone moved - the rigify hip bone moved a lot, even though it wasn't animated in Blender, and the Mixamo hip bone moved a little, barely perceivably but I can't have unpredictable stuff like that happening I guess for more complex animations - any idea what might cause this?

8. spiney199

spiney199

Honestly, without hands on having the rig and the project I couldn't say. Unfortunately I don't have the spare time to be doing that at the moment.

Note that the fancy rig Blender's Rigify generates is not compatible with Unity. Though it's base skeleton is a good template for weighting bones.