Search Unity

Two activations isn't enough for modern needs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OneManEscapePlan, Sep 9, 2019.

1. OneManEscapePlan

OneManEscapePlan

Currently, a paid Unity license can be activated on two computers. This isn't enough for the needs of a modern developer targeting multiple platforms.

Granted, a limit of two activations is common for software licenses in general. This is under the assumption that the end-user has one desktop computer and one laptop computer, and needs to activate the software on each.

However, cross-platform development with Unity often requires the developer to utilize both Windows and Mac computers. For example, I have a Windows desktop for primary development, a Windows laptop for when I'm out of the office, and a Mac Mini for when I need to make and test an iOS or OSX build. With the current two-activation limit, I can't use my license on all three systems at once, which means I need to deactivate the laptop and activate the Mac when I'm in the office, and deactivate the Mac and activate the laptop when I'm out of the office.

Unity licenses should support three activations, or have separate limits for OSX and Windows activations, so that cross-platform developers can utilize multiple computers without having to jump through hoops.

angrypenguin and User340 like this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'd like to see Unity switch from an activation limit to a currently active limit. So you go to use your Mac Mini and you need to close Unity on either your laptop or Windows desktop, not deactivate. Like how Netflix limits the number of devices which can be actively playing videos at the same time on the same account, but you can be logged in on more devices.

Unfortunately this would probably mean Unity would need to require always online access. Not sure how I feel about that. I'm sure the 2 activation limit is so it will work in offline mode just as well as online mode. I'm sure the problem with 3 activations is some people will bring a friend onto their project and allocate them 1 of their activations, but it isn't as big a problem with just 2 activations available.

3. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Actually, 'one activation on Windows and one on Mac' was the original motivation. Laptops vs desktops have nothing to do with it.

We are woking on an overhaul of the license system which should make this stuff all easier.

4. OneManEscapePlan

OneManEscapePlan

I was making a broader statement about professional software in general. For example, if I remember correctly, Adobe typically gives you two activations and they've specifically stated this is intended for one desktop and one laptop.

That's good to hear. Do you have a timeframe in mind for this? Is it something we can expect this year?

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Is this a real problem? I've always just used my login on whatever system I happen to be sitting at, with no issues...

6. OneManEscapePlan

OneManEscapePlan

It's a real problem if you have a paid license, which can only be activated on two computers at a time.

angrypenguin likes this.
  7. XCPU

XCPU

I found it odd that I have 2 activated but I've only ever installed or run from the same machine.
    I run 2 projects at the same time on the machine quite often though, maybe that's it.

8. OneManEscapePlan

OneManEscapePlan

This can happen after a major Windows update, where Unity incorrectly identifies your computer as a different machine due to changes in the OS.