Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Twister with Particle Systems

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ikiman, May 8, 2008.

1. ikiman

ikiman

Please tell me how the Twister performs in your computer, I need to test if I can include this in a plane simulator I'm working on. The game is about rescue missions.

You can run the twister in my page:

http://www.3dnemo.com

There you will find much more interesting material, videos and demos.

Thank you all

Attached Files:

2. Obscurity

Obscurity

That's really nice. The only thing I can think that you could add would be uprooted trees that are randomly spawned and thrown out from the twister.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Performs well on my G5...I could give a more concrete answer if there was a fps counter, but it's perfectly smooth. Very cool effect too.

--Eric

4. G[3z]

G[3z]

no issues on a MBP 2.33 via bootcamp

5. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

Looks good on an early '07 MBP, would be fun if it sucked up the player if you get too close. :D

6. StarManta

StarManta

Performs somewhat poorly on my Macbook; but any terrain with grass performs about as well.

7. DGuy

DGuy

Ran fine on my iMac:

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Only real slow-down was when I went into the twister and looked up.

8. Red Ocktober

Red Ocktober

verrry nice... runs fine outta internet explorer from Vista... GeForce 7300...

gonna try it from my mac mini next :)

*** added ***

amazing... it runs smoothly (once everything gets going) on my old mac mini as well... even when i run to the base of the tornado...

--Mike

9. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

Looks pretty good. But my old PPC iMac with its GeforceMX2 has a tough time handling the graphics. The twister was vaguely twisterlike. If I didn't know what it was, I might have guessed it was smoke from a fire at a distance. The wind effect on the nearby trees however was great. As were the grasses thrown up by it.

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Smooth on MacBookPro/GeForce8600 and on Windows/Core2/RadeonHD3850. On the windows machine it varies between 40 and 100FPS, depending on how large the particles are on screen (it's surely fillrate limited).

11. taumel

taumel

I somehow missed that i'm not thrown up when coming closer to the twister otherwise it was fun trying to approach.

12. relish3d

relish3d

that looks great, love the wind effect on the trees and the grass spinning round as you get close.
    Ran fine on G5 powermac with 64MB graphics.

13. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

OMG.. does the twister follow .. scared the s*** out of me...extremly cool..

ran smooth Smooth on MacBookPro/GeForce8600/2GB
    and on vista/GeForce8600/2GB.

cheers

Steve

14. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Ignore my original post, I've located the problem and resolved the issue.

Have you tried this scene with a denser grass population? The effect of the moving grass is good, but the grass doesn't look very realistic because you can see the planes that the grass is attached to. If you had denser "clumps" of grass here and there, I think the effect would be 100x better. Love the particle tornado BTW.

15. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

I looked at this on my workstation today - an intel imac - and was really impressed at your use of particles. I've had ideas about trying this sort of thing but never taken the plunge. In that regard I find this inspiring. Thanks.

16. ikiman

ikiman

Due to the interest in the Twister I made a Package with it. There you'll find not only the particle systems but the whole scene.

Anyway in the process of cleaning the project I did something wrong and now, even when it runs, I have an error:

- Terrain splat 4 is null

I cannot figure how to fix that, some help will be appreciated. I think I can make a new terrain and put in there all the grass and trees, but if there is another way to correct it, would be better.

Thank you for your posts, I'm happy to see it runs smoothly in most of cases and I'm working in some physics for this.

Enjoy it

Attached Files:

17. llavigne

llavigne

that's clever how you modulate the wind power to the distance of the player to the twister
    do you also add dummy deforming trees close to the twister?

18. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

Cool. It needs to be a bit darker though.. The entire atmosphere is too light. Looks like it would be drizzling not twisting. :wink: The sky needs a tinge of green ( an indicator that there's a tornado near ) and the clouds need to be thicker, darker, and spread from horizon to horizon. The twister itself should be darker too. Other than the lighting, it looks great. I too was a bit frightened at the prospect of a killer twister following me... The sheer size of that thing sorta kills you depth perception. Great job.

19. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Cool effect ikiman! Keep up the great work!