Search Unity

Tutorials to make a third person controller

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Seyren, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Seyren

Seyren

I have been looking for a good third person player and camera tutorial, but i never manage to do a decent one completely :(

The best progress i made was thanks to AnomalusUndrdog's tutorials (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/103421-Unity-Lesson-1-Draft) where i managed to make a character, and a camera, but the camera is designed for First person shooter and it doesn't seem to feel like a third person camera.

Also the shooting section is not working for me and when i test the animation script my model in the player (not the model, the player capsule that is the parent for the model) for some reason the whole program freezes and i have to restart the program.

Is there any tutorials of making a tutorial of a third person character with a good camera? It would be better if it's on C# because i am not very familiar with Javascript (i am learning C++.)

I am not searching for an actual script but some tutorial that builds the script step by step (Or a working player with a script with annotantions is also fine ^^), i am not familiar with unity yet and i am really bad at it :s, i only know how to make Plataformers of balls jumping and that kind of stuff and i think it's time to get it into the next level ^^

This is the kind of character and camera i want to create (as a reference)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqRH6lujnLw

I hope i am not asking too much since i am new in this Unity world and i hope i can achieve my goal

Thanks in advance
    Seyren. :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

If you are just starting out you are beginning with one of the more complicated topics.

3D buzz had a complete series on a Tomb Raider Style 3rd person camera system from scratch. It's for Unity 3.5 I think but probably the closest most complete course you are going to get for free: https://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/3rd-person-character-system

malkere, Brendonm17 and dbrizov like this.
  3. Seyren

Seyren

I would use that tutorial but right now i can't afford the money i need for it ><

Thank you anyway i will keep searching :)

4. duencil

duencil

Have you seen this tutorial series at youtube. Its C#, has a link to source code (which is versioned so hopefully you can go back to steps in the tutorial history), and builds it step by step as you want. On occasion its a little confusing, probably the way that its presented through video, but if you're following it with the source code changes, it should be clear.

5. Seyren

Seyren

I will try it out thank you for the link :)

6. drewradley

drewradley

What can't you afford? The lessons are free.

7. Seyren

Seyren

Not all of them, and this one in special isn't, and i have to play 35$/month for it, and i don't have enough money to pay it (yes i'm very poor).

8. drewradley

drewradley

Strange. All I see are free tutorials here. There are four sections and each one has about 20 tutorials all free. Even did them myself a few years back and didn't cost me anything. Perhaps we aren't talking about the same ones.

9. Seyren

Seyren

If you look at the link he provided and you try to download the assets of the 3rd person shooter it will tell you that a sponsor subscription is required :(.

10. drewradley

drewradley

Huh. I didn't use their assets so I didn't see that - I used my own model and it worked fine. Unless the tutorials have been updated since I did them, you don't need their assets to do it.

11. Seyren

Seyren

Oh, true, i don't know what i was thinking, dumb me, lol, thank you :), i'll be watching both guides and i'll guess i'll end in a good conclusion :p

12. TheFreedomBird

TheFreedomBird

I really like this tutorial but I have one question when it comes to the mouse aim controller. How do you make it to where you can look up too not just horizontally.

13. malkere

malkere

the end result of their third person camera stuff is exactly what I was looking for!
    common WoW/you name it MMO camera script.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

14. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Sorry to revive an old thread but we have followed the 3d buzz tutorial and unfortunately it doesn't work with mecanim and no one seem to have updated it so far.

Any clues on why it doesn't work? The controller is working but we have only the idle animation working, when i press the move key the walk animation is not trigger, i check the animator and everything seem Ok.

Do we have to make another script to make the character respond to keyboard&mouse input?

Regards Peter

15. malkere

malkere

To get an animation to play you can:
    1. brute force the play ("myAnimation") command
    or
    2. give your animator an event such as when player speed is greater than zero, play walk. If greater than 3 play run. If in the animator the idle -> walk and -> run animations are all linked, mecanim will blend them nicely together.

post a screen shot of your animator layout or the code that doesn't seem to be working for real help.

16. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi Malkere,

Thank for the reply and i finally got it to work with my script and i also start a thread where i will made a complete tutorial how to make it work once i am finish with my setup.

Regards Peter

malkere likes this.
  17. Treasureman

Treasureman

I made one that covers the movements, rotation, aiming, and camera of a 3rd person shooter, but never actually the shooting. It's not out yet, but here's my channel if you want to keep an eye out. It'll be up in a few weeks. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC4Imqj0BEOYx5Ptgo-ZiwlQ

mishrapriyanshu317 likes this.
  18. Eric-Eidel

Eric-Eidel

Hey guys, I know this is a bit old but this is the first result on Google for me and I spent quite the time to find the answer I wanted. Check out this page: https://ruhrnuklear.de/fcc/ for a great implementation and a demo scene on a WOW-like camera and controller.

This is what I was after and it provided me a great starting point! The project is a bit dated, but once you update it for 5.3 it works out of the box! Just wanted to place this here since this is the top google result, in case someone else is looking for a wow-like camera (yes, cliche, but it's the best MMO camera controls out there imho).

darklift and malkere like this.
  19. darklift

darklift

Holy wow man, that was a god send. Newbie and been looking all over for a Wow like controller. This script you linked was so easy to understand as a beginner coder and works like charm. Was about to give up too.

20. ArashKhedri1995

ArashKhedri1995

21. atprog

atprog

Hey Bro Watch this

This can be very helpful for you

22. malkere

malkere

This thread is from 2014 o/