Search Unity

Tutorials to learn how to create previs/cinematics/short films in Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Kurpanek, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Kurpanek

Kurpanek

Hi there,

I'm totally new to Unity, coming from a background in film. I was obviously impressed by Butterfly Effect and Adam. I realize that that took years and entire teams to achieve. However, I'd love to learn Unity to create previs for my own material. Or short films. I'm intrigued by CinemaSuite's mocap and facecap extensions. And Cinemamachine etc.

The issue I'm having is that all online tutorials are about game development. Does anyone know any specific tutorials towards film production? Or if that doesn't exist, is there a learning path that you'd recommend I should take?

Thanks!
    C

2. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

Welcome to Unity,

I don't think there is a single person that has seen those videos and haven't said, "I'd love to do that stuff".

Clearly, it can be done in Unity, but I'm wondering if Unity is the best tool for what you want. Unity is designed for game development, hence all the game tutorials. What you're looking to do is highly advanced and required the very best from many seasoned developers over a decent amount of time.

You've set the bar as high as it can go. Starting from scratch, I think it would be extremely difficult for anyone to get to that caliber work, without several years of dedicated blood, sweat, & tears. Sadly, I have no recommendations for alternative software and not even sure there is something suited specifically for your needs.

Unity has the capability and is improving all the time, but in the end, it's all up to you and what your capabilities are.

Kurpanek likes this.
  3. Nateply

Nateply

I've used Cinema Director and AvPro video capture to arrange, animate and capture video segments. Then, Adobe after effects and premiere to stitch together and add sound and effects. Not Adam quality, but wasn't trying for it. Relatively quick too. I'd likely use Cinemachine and Timeline now for the first part.

Kurpanek likes this.
  4. desenho82

desenho82

Hey.
    I'm a previs artist based in Copenhagen. I'm also really interested to know if Unity could also be interested in developing something previs related. :)
    Any chance?

5. olmovisedo

olmovisedo

Hi everyone!

Currently, I'm working in Previs/Layout using Unity. It is posible. I'm using Cinemachine. I work with a Main Timeline where all the shots are in, like a camera sequencer.