Search Unity

Tutorials or scripting reference?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by robertseadog, Jul 23, 2005.

1. robertseadog

robertseadog

Hello,
    (don't know if this is the right place for this, be free to move this post ;) )
    I am looking to by a game engine for mac, and after discovering Torque I discovered this.. I like the inteface better, and it seems to be what I need, I have flash experience so JS is not too frightening, but I was wondering if there was any tutorials or scripting reference out there that could make me buy this instead of Torque? (Unity seems to need more scripting?)

Also I read somewhere that there was a new version coming soon, will I get a free upgrade if I buy now?

Thanks in advance, I really want to make some great games!

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Unity ships with a bunch of pre made scripts and we are expanding on it.

There is a tutorial available here:
    http://www.otee.dk/Documentation/UnityTutorial.pdf

And we are working on a new one which will go into scripting unity in depth.

The scripting reference is installed with unity or is available here:
    http://www.otee.dk/Documentation/ScriptReference/index.html

You will receive free upgrades until we release unity 2.0. We are planning to add quite a few features to Unity 1.x before we release 2.0.

Scripting in unity is much easier than writing game code in torque.
    You will also have to write much less scripts in unity than in torque.

Many people have tried and failed with torque. To put it in perspective: 60.000 people bought torque so far. But they only have around 12 shipping games.

Unity will enable you to actually finish and ship your game.

3. robertseadog

robertseadog

Ok, glad we settled that out :D

One more question:

Now that apple is mooving towards intel, will the finished game be working with both powerpc intel(fat binary or whatever it's called)?

Thanks!

4. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Unity also installs a Script Tutorial project in /Users/Shared/Unity. It has a bunch of different little mini-scenes in it with simple to-the-point scripts that are real helpful like. I just mention this because sometimes people are surprised to find they are there later on after being frustrated by scripting.

Regarding your Intellitosh/Mactel question: http://otee.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122

Cheers,
    -Jon

5. robertseadog

robertseadog

Nice!
    You got yourself a new user! Now while Im at it, I assume you can sell your game even if it's created with the indie version? (is there a limit how much you can sell or how much you can earn?).

Will stop asking general Questions in the scripting forum, sorry! :roll:

6. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

7. robertseadog

robertseadog

Hehe,
    Ill just wait till my games give me a 99,999 $ profit then, and upgrade for Commercial :D

Ok, just made my transaction, so I guess I can share a few secrets to my fellow seahogs:
    Code (csharp):
    2. //Make your game interesting:
    3. function init (drinking)
    4. [
    5. if (drinking)[
    6. Yourcharacter.hohoho_to_thebottle_I_go (drinking, madly);
    7. ]
    8. ]
    9. itit();