Search Unity

Tutorials for starting with Unity/2D?

Discussion in '2D' started by T8TRG8TR, Nov 14, 2013.

1. T8TRG8TR

T8TRG8TR

I'm interested in trying out Unity again now that I have a good amount of experience programming and they offer first party 2D support. What would be some good tutorials to start with? They don't have to be specific to 2D but that'd certainly be nice.

2. whilefun

whilefun

Yes, this would be very welcome. Just the basics would be fine. A moving thing with an animated sprite (from sheet) and a couple animations would be perfect to start.

3. popc

popc

4. Laumania

Laumania

5. dreamhex

dreamhex

6. unitylover

unitylover

If you guys put together a list of requests I'll record videos or make tutorials on how to do them.

7. arncota

arncota

How to display a title screen, How to display a background graphic area with walkability (ie, you cant walk on the water), either based on tiles or a static bitmap). How to create a sprite, and display it on the background. How to animate the sprite. How to move the sprite by mouse (touch). How to handle collisions (detection?) between two sprites.

These would help me, a complete and total newbie :)

8. unitylover

unitylover

That's a great start, I'll make a video showing you exactly how to do all of this. I hope you guys don't mind c# !

9. whilefun

whilefun

Hooray :)

10. arncota

arncota

Thank you so much, and c# is great!

11. unitylover

unitylover

Cool guys, I'll be at the office in 15-20 minutes to get started on some beginner videos. Meanwhile, if anybody has any more suggestions please speak up because I'll eventually get to all of them.

12. xeddre

xeddre

It's great to see veterans of the tool are willing to pretty much help us newbies :p
    can't wait for the tutorial :D

13. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Thank you!

14. Shabla

Shabla

I just started playing around with Unity yesterday, but here are a few of the things I'd like to do, even if it's a really small tutorial it'd be great to have a starting point:
    - Splash screen, start menu (play, options, exit, ...)
    - Basics of how to do a top-down RPG tyle game (like Zelda 3 or Bomberman for example)
    - In this kind of game as an example (top-down RPG), how would you structure the maps ? If it's possible I'd like to have no loading/transition at all (unlike in Zelda where the next map slides in). I have an idea about how to do that in code, but not in Unity.

15. allinlabs

allinlabs

How to manage collisions between sprites would be pretty cool, I ran into some problem yesterday with my platformer.

16. OmegaVesko

OmegaVesko

What kind of problems did you have? It should 'just work' as long as you're using the built-in collision mesh system.

17. Napalm Clambake

Napalm Clambake

You da man. I'll keep my eye on this thread. I'm a total Unity newbie as well, finally downloaded it when 4.3 released. I'm a C# programmer but have never delved into game programming. Very excited to get started, and very interested in 2D NES/SNES style games specifically. Thanks!

18. ChaosD

ChaosD

Its very nice of you to help out beginners like me :) The WorldToScreenPoint function is giving me some headaches right now. I have a top down style game with a character walking around using wasd but he should always aim at the mouse cursor.
    I use WorldToScreenPoint with the mouse position but it returns really huge numbers (i.e. 37000 / 35000 when iam approximately pointing at 3 / 3).
    Another concern i have is, that i cannot use the LookAt function because it would flip my sprite up vertically so its invisible to the 2d camera (got that from trying many scripts from around the forums)

it would be great if you could adress my problems in any of your videos :p

thanks a lot!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  19. unitylover

unitylover

The office flooded today so much time was lost cleaning up smelly water. No damage other than wet floors but a day is lost. Hopefully will have some of these videos processed and uploaded over the weekend.

20. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

The very basics; taking images, preparing them for Unity sprite import (singular images, working with individual animation frames, combining frames into a singular sheet etc.)

Unity Sprite import options; taking those various images mentioned above and importing them into Unity as sprites (what options to choose for singular images, multiple frames / sprite sheets)

How to create animated sprites; separating the objects on your sprite sheets, working with animation frames, creating the colliders etc.

Best practices for getting 2D stuff moving around; placing your action centers, handling collisions etc.

I'm reading though the manual now trying to find all the new 2D stuff - but it's not jumping out at me.

This kind of info (at least for me) would be helpful - thanks!

-Will

21. allinlabs

allinlabs

22. unitylover

unitylover

They did a really good job on this introduction tutorial and it covers everything from start to finish. If you like reading tutorials rather than watching them this is pretty much the best available at the moment.

23. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

Very nice find!

24. Damien-Mayance

Damien-Mayance

Thanks a lot for posting it!
    I'm one of the writer, I hope you will enjoy reading this tutorial.

We're doing our best to get the two last parts written as soon as possible.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  25. Sinron

Sinron

The largest difficulty i'm having so far is refiguring out how to raycast from mouse direction into the world space below it. This is driving me nuts lol.
    I've tried some code that i thought work but that just keeps casting down onto my player whom the camera is following.

26. KunoNoOni

KunoNoOni

Please don't let this deter you from making the videos. You can never have enough knowledge available to you. :)

-KunoNoOni

27. massimo_indie

massimo_indie

Damien, thank you very much! My knowledge of English is so humble and understand English speech is so hard for me. Your detailed text tutorial greatly helped me! Waiting for the next part.
    :)

28. Code_Helix

Code_Helix

I'm following your tutorial and am stuck on slicing the platforms as when I do it it gets cut into 10 instead of just the two that I cropped. Is there a step missing in the tutorial to get just the two?

I figured out what I did wrong after reading the tutorial again as now understand that the slice tool is used to crop it for you. *smacks forehead*

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  29. unitylover

unitylover

You can bet on this not deterring me from doing any myself. You're absolutely right about never having enough knowledge to learn from. The more there is, the better the community. I've been working on the lesson plans since 4.3 launched and finally got a victory in the battle of the mechanim animator controller for sprites. It put up a good fight, but I've got the beast by the horns now and I am excited to get these tutorials completed. Keep you all posted and don't forget to subscribe on YouTube and the Facebook page to stay updated!

Cheers!
    Mike

30. El_Danimal

El_Danimal

I have to join the others in offering my thanks to the guys from Pixelnest Studios for their excellent tutorial. It's clear, quite comprehensive, and explains a lot of things I've been trying to figure out and couldn't.

And I'm glad that Mike is going forward with his tutorial as well -- the more information out there, the better.

31. chelnok

chelnok

32. ashley

ashley

Looking forward to Unitylover's videos.

Working through the pixelnest tutorial as well and finding it really useful :)

33. JayJennings

JayJennings

In case you missed it, there are video versions of the Pixelnest tutorials here:

http://gamedevnation.com/creating-a-2d-game-with-unity/

(Created with their permission.)

Jay

34. enjay

enjay

C# is preferred. (Words that have never been said before.) My reason for this thinking is that since most/all of the documentation is in that format already, it makes sense to do that. I recently saw a tutorial session that was using JS (which i know and like) but it was jarring because everything else out there is in C#.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  35. ashley

ashley

Ah excellent, thank you :)

Now to remember where I left off the other day...

36. unitylover

unitylover

Hey guys! I've definitely been busy preparing the tutorial series but like Pixelnest, I'm starting out with write-ups first because I am terrible when it comes to recording video tutorials on the spot. The write-ups will serve as nice organized lessons plans for each tutorial. I'm about 3/4 done the beginner write-up which will have as much detail as I can possible fit on the screen and is aimed at complete beginners.

With all that said, I've also gone ahead and released a 2D sprite only starter pack early which is available in my signature. I plan on expanding this a lot and also adding in scripts and prefabs. I figured you guys would want some sprites to play with.

37. ashley

ashley

Working through the first of the animation ones now and when the boss is rotating it says:

0:00 - Rotation of 0,0,0
    0:30 - Rotation of 0,0,30
    1:00 - Rotation of 0,0,30
    1:30 - Rotation of 0,0,0

That doesn't match the gif though. I assume 1:00 should be -30 and that's what I've done, but just thought I'd give you a heads up in case that is meant to be the case and you wanted to update the tutorial. Actually, just seen the screenshot that confirms it. Obviously its not a giant head scratcher, but just thought I'd point it out :)

Great stuff though :)

38. KunoNoOni

KunoNoOni

I don't see your signature, am I doing something wrong?

39. ashley

ashley

40. unitylover

unitylover

Going to try to finish up the beginner tutorial write-up today and push some more sprites into this pack. What a crazy week it's been! :) Thanks Ashley for informing him.

41. castana1962

castana1962

Hi unitylover
    Please let us know when they are ready !
    Thanks for your help !
    Alejandro

42. Tiggster

Tiggster

43. unitylover

unitylover

It's up at http://imakeinternet.com/introduction-unity-2d-game-development/

I plan on doing a video as well but I have to get the written content finished first. I think this might end up turning into a giant book of 2D tips and tricks for Unity. :)

44. yvanbroeck

yvanbroeck

Awesome that you're doing this mate. A big thank you!

45. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

46. Robiwan

Robiwan

Love your guide, and has based my first game on this. When can we expect part two? I`m really eager to move on, can you please address issues related to multiple jumps without touching the ground in your next part?

Also my player tends to do small jumps as from time to time, why is that and how can i fix it?