Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorials broken?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by unity_oRpFX1p4x2JLjA, Feb 24, 2019.

1. unity_oRpFX1p4x2JLjA

unity_oRpFX1p4x2JLjA

After a fresh install of Unity 2018.3.6f1, I downloaded the tutorials from the Learn tab but none of them seem to be working.

For instance, I'm attaching a screenshot of what I get when I try to load the 01: Play & Edit Mode tutorial.

When I try to build and run I get this error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: Error building Player because scripts have compile errors in the editor
    2.   at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (UnityEditor.BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x00234] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:190
    3.   at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (System.Boolean askForBuildLocation, UnityEditor.BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x0007f] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:96
    4. UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()
    Pretty much the same issue with every other tutorial I tried.

Attached Files:

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's Interactive Tutorials start to break once you go beyond the releases they were intended for. If you want to do them you'll have to install Unity 2017.3 (which is the releases they were verified to work with). This is pretty much par for the course with game engines. They update entirely too fast for the tutorial creators to keep up.

3. unity_oRpFX1p4x2JLjA

unity_oRpFX1p4x2JLjA

These tutorials are basically at the front page of the Unity screen. There is no indication of what version they are supposed to work with. Perhaps they should not be displayed so prominently in the startup screen if they aren't even updated to keep up with unity releases. Or their descriptions should at least have information regarding which Unity version you need.

It is also not a good first impression if things break so badly between each version of the software that tutorial creators can't keep up with it.

But either way, thanks for the reply, at least I know what the problem is now, hopefully they will work with the 2017.3 release.

Ryiah likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Agreed, but it's a sad truth that this is very much the norm with every game engine on the market. Someone new to game development wouldn't know that though which is why it definitely needs to be pointed out more prominently.

It's buried on the tutorials section of the website. When you open an entry there it typically says the version that it was last tested against. Example below.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/interactive-tutorials/play-edit-mode?playlist=49382

5. unity_oRpFX1p4x2JLjA

unity_oRpFX1p4x2JLjA

Yeah, I realized after my post that these tutorials are meant to be used in conjunction with the tutorials on the website. They should definitely have links to the tutorials so that people can understand what they are supposed to do.

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Don't you just want to run these tutorials in the Editor, and not Build and Run from an executable each time?