Search Unity

Tutorials are broken

Discussion in 'Linux' started by NiklasBerg, Feb 20, 2018.

1. NiklasBerg

NiklasBerg

I'm trying to finish the Basic Tutorials but the guide fail to register when Iäm supposed to enter a number. I cannot get past lowering the enemy speed in "03: Tweaking Components" or setting the box position in "04: Prefab power". Strangely It detect that I enter -2 for the x position in part 04 but I cannot get past setting y.

2. ArkyR

ArkyR

Just tried to replicate your problem with Unity 2017.3.1f1.

Do you get any errors in your logs? Try running Unity in debug mode with following command line.

./Editor/Unity -logFile /dev/stdout

3. ArkyR

ArkyR

Also tested on Unity 2018.1.0b8. Unable to replicate the problem.

4. NiklasBerg

NiklasBerg

I've installed Unity on a laptop now and went for Unity 2018.1.0b8 instead of the 2017.xx build I used on my stationary computer. I still have the same issue and there are no errors. I've tried to change other values by using tab in the UI to see if it detects that I changed the value, I unfocused and refocused the window (with a refresh completed line added to the log as a result). I'm using Ubuntu 17.10.

So you are able to get past "Set NavMeshAgent Speed to 1" in the third tutorial? Wierd that I get the same issue on two fresh installations.

J-E_C likes this.
  5. DominoM

DominoM

I've a vague recollection of a slight hiccup doing the tutorials. If I remember correctly, you might have to use the increment / decrement buttons rather than typing in a value. Basically do it exactly the same way as the tutorial shows.

6. NiklasBerg

NiklasBerg

Thanks!
    I don't have any buttons but discovered that I can drag within the blank area between the variable name and the value to change the value. After several minutes fighting with my faulty touchpad to set the float to exactly one I ended up with the same issue again. The tutorial says nothing about how I'm supposed to change the value, but it shouldn't matter anyway.

unity_1HiDBfL0kbldIg likes this.
  7. DominoM

DominoM

I ran through the 4th tutorial to refresh my memory and didn't come across whatever was causing the vague recollection of hitting a problem. I know I did something a different way (that had the same result) and the tutorial didn't notice it, but I can't remember what it was. All I did on this one was type in the values using tab to switch between fields and it worked.

Screenshot from 2018-02-24 09:03:47.png

8. NiklasBerg

NiklasBerg

Nah. Nothing I do makes any difference. I even tried to enter 1.0 and press enter, and it adjusts it to1 but refuses to continue. Not super important. I'll just check the tutorials without guiding but I guess there is a bug since both my installations resulted in the same issue. Thanks for all help.

Attached Files:

Elboros likes this.
  9. Tak

Tak

I just ran through tutorials 3 and 4 as well, with no issues.
    I notice that the numbers in your screenshot are using comma as the decimal separator - is that the way you're typing them as well?

10. FMark92

FMark92

No, for some reason or another unity no longer(I can't remember if it ever DID) enforces thread culture for inspector. I can't even copy negative values because as soon as I click away from a value, the minus changes to one of the following:
    ‐ - ‒ – — ―
    And as for the decimal separator goes, it gets changed into a comma as soon as the value is applied but I can copy and paste it in that form, so it's no skin off my back.

11. NiklasBerg

NiklasBerg

I use "." for decimal separator normally, but I noticed that the editor used "," so I tried both with the same result.

12. Acreates

Acreates

13. develucas

develucas

I can confirm this issue using linux editor 2018.2.0f2. In particular, the 3rd basic tutorial, I'm unable to move further at step 5 as the tutorial doesn't discover new value entered, no matter what you're trying to do with the field.

14. Stips_

Stips_

Same problem here.
    Tutorial 3 instructs to put speed 1 and that doesn't work, but if you put speed 10 it validates as correct. And the level is solvable. So probably just a typo.

Tutorial 4 is also a typo, but a severe one since the level stays unsolvable: x validates as -2, y validates as 25 and z validates as 100. But if you put it all correctly as that, block is way off scene so the laser ray stays uncut...

JesusHV, lomanto, Joniyh and 5 others like this.
  15. devilhunterxl

devilhunterxl

I don't know. 10 doesn't help me.

reduvit likes this.
  16. MeisterKaio

MeisterKaio

Yep had the same problem today. In tutorial 3 the 10 did it for me though. Maybe try deleting it all and typing it in again?Tutorial 4 was sadly not solvable as others pointed out already.

17. faanbece

faanbece

The problem is the instruction, it say 'market speed to 1', but the expected value is '10' ... Using Unity 2017.2.0b11 - ubuntu 2018.10.

JesusHV and LordKuroNeko like this.
  18. DevAlone

DevAlone

same issue, it doesn't accept neither 1 nor 10. Unity 2018.3.0f2 Personal on Windows

19. hepphep

hepphep

Having same issue with Unity 2018.3.0f2 on tutorial 3. Does not let me pass with value 1 (or value 10 either)

Also have issues with tutorial 4, setting the y-coordinate of pushable box to 2.5 does not seem to validate the step.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  20. franconecat

franconecat

Hi, for each tutorial this was my workaround:

• 3. Tweaking Components: in my case 10 was accepted, the enemy moves too fast but is still playable.
    • 4. Prefab Power:
      • Enter the values like below to be able to continue the tutorial:
        • y: 25
        • z: 100
      • At this point the game is not solvable, so I closed the Tutorial Tab
      • Then edited the values as y: 2,5 and z: 10 to make the game solvable
      • Finally I opened the Tutorial Tab to continue the tutorial and solve the puzzle.
    Thank you and happy new year!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  21. unity_XQ8zM4PZUgBOIw

unity_XQ8zM4PZUgBOIw

Hi!
    I am new to unity and seem to be experiencing a problem. I cannot load the interactive tutorials on the 2018.2 version as they come out as pictured below. However the tutorial loads normally when version 2017.3 is used. Has anyone encountered a problem like this? upload_2019-1-8_13-26-31.png

22. unity_Sx0Uv8eIJxKDEg

unity_Sx0Uv8eIJxKDEg

Also stuck on tutorial 3, step 5.

Tried lots of values for speed but none works: 1 +1 1.0 1,0 1,1 10 11 100

Wondering if this is some sort of onBlur issue...

Unity 2018.3.0f2 Personal on Windows 0 64 bit.

Anisio likes this.
  23. unity_Sx0Uv8eIJxKDEg

unity_Sx0Uv8eIJxKDEg

Fixed it!

Basically I changed the Windows regional setting to Format > English(US or UK or Ireland, ...) and now Unity doesn't convert decimal separator to comma, keeps it as dot.

I don't have any more problems setting speed=1 in tutorial 3 and Y=2.5 in tutorial 4.

Hope this works for the rest of you.

24. Pzhuk

Pzhuk

+1
    Faced the same problem with setting speed = 1. And solution with changing of the Windows regional settings helped.

25. _rybak_

_rybak_

I have the same issute with the enemy speed = 1
    I can't fix it.
    Is it possible to skip this step?
    it is annoying:(

26. costasamarin

costasamarin

I had the same problem. My region was Russia. Changed to England.
    Solution with changing of the Windows regional settings helped.

karlllson, startresse and ShamanEmp like this.
  27. DkWiz

DkWiz

I had problems but fixed it with franconecat solutions.
    • 3. Tweaking Components: in my case 10 was accepted, the enemy moves too fast but is still playable.
    • 4. Prefab Power:
      • Enter the values like below to be able to continue the tutorial:
        • y: 25
        • z: 100
      • At this point the game is not solvable, so I closed the Tutorial Tab
    • I had to create one extra box and place it in front of the robotarm to finish the game.

Anisio and dontrolle like this.
  28. unity_UJ-vpedmDIQGcQ

unity_UJ-vpedmDIQGcQ

Windows 10, Unity 2018.3.4f1 here.
    Problem solved with the 10 value of 03:Tweaking values AND with coordinate of 04:prefab.
    Switched my pc to English United State. Booth region and language. Reboot, enjoy.

29. Babarikado

Babarikado

You don't have to reboot. The next time a process is started, it will pick up the configured culture settings.

Thanks to all of you for providing a workaround. I got stuck on tut 3 due to swedish culture setting.

30. SergeySharonov

SergeySharonov

The same issue. Tutorial 3 broken. Can't move from step 5 when setting speed to 1. Tried changing region settings, doesn't help.

31. gamllercontroller

gamllercontroller

You must read the last coments at least, theres the solution!!

32. wolfer888

wolfer888

MacOs High Sierra, Unity 2018.3.0 here.
    Problem solved with the 110 value of 03:Tweaking.
    Switched my mac to English United State. Booth region and language. Reboot, enjoy.

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah this is pretty infuriating, something like a forced progression in the tutorials would be helpful...

34. shawnlauzon

shawnlauzon

Problem solved for me by changing from French (Canada) to English (US). The value of 1 which matches the tutorial worked.

35. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

Would anyone be able to submit a bug report with reproducible steps?

36. Druida

Druida

The issue remains.
    When I need to set the speed to 1 it doesn't accept
    and also in tutorial 4 I can't put the Y and Z values correctly.

37. PixelJ

PixelJ

Unity Technologies

What region/language is your machine set to? Distro and version?

38. Anisio

Anisio

Thanks man, work for me.

39. hansmbakker

hansmbakker

40. vymf

vymf

Same issue - region is set for Czech Republic, language Slovak. Unity 2018.3.11f1 Personal

Didn't help to set the value to 1 nor 10 in the 03 tutorial step 5 of 14, not even changing the region helped :( it really sucks not to have the option to skip the step.

No workaround for me yet -_-

Oh and btw when I use the scroll mouse in the Inspector window (inside the focused area) it moves the focus, but that's unrelated.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  41. StorKejsaren

StorKejsaren

Same issue, Unity 2018.3.11f1 Personal

1, 10, 11, 100, nothing works in Tutorial 3, changing the region in Windows doesn't change anythin, did you even test your own tutorials to see if they worked?

42. cmart_unity

cmart_unity

Same Here in tutorial 4 step 14. Solved with values y: 25, z: 100. No way I can move the character to the goal.

OSX: Sierra 10.12.6
    Unity: 2018.12F1
    Regional Settings: English, US,

43. Zdenek86

Zdenek86

My solution for the issue with tutorial 03 on Windows 10, English, CZ, Unity 2018.4.1f1.
    1. Start the tutorial and proceed to "Set speed to 1" step. This time you cannot finish.
    2. Close the editor, press "Keep" button and save the project somewhere on your local drive.
    3. Start Unity again, reload the project from your drive and go through the tutorial. It will register you changed the speed.

44. Shirown

Shirown

Hi guy :)
    This problem is still existing. I wonder how they did to get rewards with a basic tutorial that does not work.
    I report this issue on win10 pro 64bit with Unity 2019.1.1f1. Wait and see

45. mirob

mirob

Problem SOLVED. I saved the project, then manualy edited file ...New Unity Project\Assets\Content\tutorials\t15\t15-018.asset (using notepad for example)
    I changed m_TargetValue in following text

m_PropertyPath: m_Speed
    m_TargetValue: 1.0
    to:
    m_PropertyPath: m_Speed
    m_TargetValue: 2

Keep spaces they might be important to yaml format.
    maybe problem vas with .0 as that was not possible to enter

46. janzinemail

janzinemail

ty this worked for me i F***ing tried everything before

47. kheldrite

kheldrite

For the number 4, with the values -2/2.5/10 , i had to change too.
    I did the same than for the previous one. I opened and edited the t20-32, and looked for m_TargetValue: . I found the 10.0, the -2 and the 2.5. I changed them to 10/-2/2 and it worked

Elboros likes this.
  48. unity_R3NPwgd1g0oc3A

unity_R3NPwgd1g0oc3A

This works for me, trank you!!!.
    If you are using windows like me, don't forget restart windows after changing the Regional Setting (English "US") from Control Panel. Here is the link to change that configuration in windows https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...ta-types-edf41006-f6e2-4360-bc1b-30e9e8a54989

49. Barlagor

Barlagor

God bless you comrade! :)

50. TitanBornStudios

TitanBornStudios

I had Ukraine as a region. Swithing to Great Britain region helped. I was also possible to change the data/time values to be represented as I'm used too.

matt54000 likes this.