Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial wishlist?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by shadow71, Oct 16, 2009.

1. shadow71

shadow71

Hi,

i know im new and i should do some work on my self to get better at Unity :)

But...searching is so time expensive *g*...can i wish some tutorials, that helps not only me? When someone is willing to make one or another? :)
    Simple tutorial that points out only one part, not to the end with a full game ^^

Wishlist :

Realtime (Fake-)Shadow (i dont get any shadow at all)
    Clear texture import from c4d without plugin (per .fbx export)
    GUI-Tut where we can place the typical things for rpg/mmog style game (lifebar,manabar,8 slot for skills, 6 button for typicaly items and so on) but at simple type.

Feel free to add some more, i think it will help some noobs like me to get a bit (faster) better.

Ty
    Andrew

2. shader

shader

Hi

The official Unity tutorials and all the other 3rd part stuff is good but I do sympathize with you.
    There should be a series of simple bite size exercises demonstating the obvious things people want to do: collisions, shooting, buttons, simple AI etc, etc. All of these are covered in the large Unity tutorials but sometimes it's more useful to simply 'dip into' things without ploughing through an epic tutorial.

Look here if you want to see an example of how it could be done:

http://tutorial.3dgamestudio.net/

Here we see a set of simple workshops that get the user started with 3dgamestudio. There are, of course, bigger tutorials but this is where you start.

Just an idea to help, not to criticize :)

Thanks

3. rawi

rawi

indeed, this is a wonderful example how Tutorials for beginners could be done!

Sigh - wish we had such detailed and systematic tutorials here!

4. jtadeo1

jtadeo1

Not sure if you've seen this:

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/tutorials/

But with those tutorials I've learned just about everything I needed to know there. For the more specific items, I used the search link.

Right now, I have a simple multi-player coded that has:
    1. pickups
    2. shooting bullets
    3. player control with players
    4. scoring
    5. death sequences *still working on this*

and lots and lots of explosions :D

I have a few more I want to add such as pre-game player customizations such as being able to choose a character and outfitting them with weapons, armor etc.

A few days ago I downloaded a trial version of Photon server. Tobias was kind enough to help me with a tech issue and I've got it running locally with the Lerpz models. My next step is to migrate my code over to Photon and see what happens.

It's all there in the tutorials. I've only been at this for less than a month (Unity is not my full-time job - more of a hobby atm) and if you check out the pinned postings you will find a lot of info.

Good luck!

5. shadow71

shadow71

@jtadeo

sure, this tutorials are indeed good but...
    its to much and not specific :)

Why load an big example with full of code, thinks and so on...its confusing me (im old man) :p

Here are so many good programmers and helpfull ppl.
    Why we cant make a categorie with only small things as i say on first post. Sure after some time i get what i want...but it cost time and i must do work to life and dont have sooo much time to read all posts ^^

Im willing to learn and do some on myself but some small helps are good for us all i think.

greetings[/quote]

6. jtadeo1

jtadeo1

[/quote]

shawdow71,

From one old man to another, I agree about the "small helps" :D

I can't say it was easy finding the bits I wanted through the tutorials and then adapting them to what I needed.

I took a closer look at the example link provided and they seem very straight forward and blunt. I've done tutorials myself and I like the format. If I get some time, I will post what I learn one day to contribute back to the community.

7. Merries

Merries

8. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Not that things can't be better (they always can), but honestly, Unity has some of the best tutorials and community for such a powerful engine, that I've seen. I've used Flash, BlitzMax, Torque, Gamemaker and half a million others I can't remember and Unity's the best overall. Okay, Flash has better/more tutorials, but Flash doesn't allow me to drag-n-drop my 3D models and go.

I advise checking out the links in the above posts, as well as firing off a question to this forum. People are really forthcoming with answers and unlike other forums, I don't think I've ever read anyone jumping on newbies for asking old questions (with the exception of, "Please give me Avert Fate source code").

9. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Good for you, but this post counts as spam! :(

And I agree that the tutorials are wonderful and amazing. But I also agree that there should be small ones that have specific values. The above tutorial sites are very good, but they cost the cash of money and stuff!

10. Merries

Merries

There is an old saying..what you put into something you get out of it three fold, so don't look at the tutorials for that fact they cost money. (Even though they are very very well priced.) Look at it from a perspective that the money you spend if you use the knowledge will take you far.

And when you produce your game and start selling it, well theres the proof it was worth it :)

11. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

There seems to be a widespread assumption on this forum that money doesn't matter because you'll make loads of it with Unity. Not everyone here will have any intention of making money with Unity. Maybe this is just a hobby for them. Maybe they will make a really great game and give it away for free because all they ever wanted is people to play their great game.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, good or bad to charge the price that's being charged for tutorials. It's just a completely false assumption to assume that everyone who buys Unity will make money with it. Not only will most not make any money with it, many don't even want to.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

13. Merries

Merries

Point taken, thank you for pointing that out.

14. remz

remz

what I'd realy like to see is some more advanced discussions on the overall coding architecture to use when working on a average/large Unity application. Like for instance some coding post mortem of a big and succesful Unity project.