Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games [Tutorial WIP] Extending Penny Pixel Platformer with Game Framework

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by mahewitt, Dec 27, 2017.

1. mahewitt

mahewitt

Just completed the Unity Penny Pixel 2D tutorial and thought that it would be a great starting point to extend with my FREE Game Framework asset that provides many helpful features from levels and scoring through localisation and UI.

The below will document work towards creating a new tutorial series along with links for anyone that is interested in following along. Appreciate any input, questions or comments:
    1. Penny Pixel Platformer - Part 1 - Winning and Losing
    2. Penny Pixel Platformer - Part 2 - Localised Text
    3. Penny Pixel Platformer - Part 3 - Improving The Game
    4. Penny Pixel Platformer - Part 4 - Enemies (In Progress)
    upload_2018-1-2_10-9-10.png

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. mahewitt

mahewitt

Tutorial part 1 - Recording gems collected, lives and adding a goal to win the level:

upload_2017-12-27_13-18-31.png

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  3. mahewitt

mahewitt

Tutorial part 2 added, looking at showing level information and how to localise the game:

4. mahewitt

mahewitt

Initial draft of Part 3 will be out soon. It will add an in-game menu, show how to add health including replenishment, obstacles that cause health loss and progress stars as well as tidying up a few loose ends from before.

manpower13 likes this.
  5. mahewitt

mahewitt

Draft of part 3 is added. This adds quite a lot of good stuff including Health, Obstacles, and Stars. It also polishes some loose ends from before. Still need to tidy up a few bits in the tutorial and add SFX, but is there so far for anyone who is interested. :)

upload_2018-1-2_10-8-29.png

6. mahewitt

mahewitt

Been a bit busy with an AR project, but a bit of time for some more updates. First section of part 4 is getting closer - a waypoint enemy script. Need to document collision handling and then I can publish an early draft - other enemies and shooting will be added later.
    upload_2018-1-12_22-49-41.png

7. olka143

olka143

may i use these assets for commercial use.

8. mahewitt

mahewitt

Hi @olka143 it is fine to use my assets for commercial purposes under the standard unity asset store license (e.g. you can build and distribute binaries, but not distribute source code without express permission). The Penny Pixel assets I believe are open sourced, but you might want to see if it says anything particular on the Unity tutorial page or video - you could also try sending then an email if there isn't any info there.

Mark

9. gstiglich

gstiglich

Hi guys,

any advance on the logic for when an enemy hit the player? I'm looking for bounce-back and blinking effect. I have problems integrating this with the physicsObject.cs logic.

10. mahewitt

mahewitt

Hi @gstiglich. Whilst still relevant for learning, I have kind of put this tutorial on hold for now and am instead looking into redoing it to work with the 2D / 3D toolkits that come with Unity 2018. I haven't looked into too much detail yet, but those seem a lot more complete than the penny pixel starter and provide better functionality.

I would suggest looking on the learn site into how those work and pull functionality from there for the player and other physics objects. If you then have further questions on getting features to work with Game Framework, then please post back and I will certainly do what I can to help.

Regards,
    Mark

11. diving_squid

diving_squid

Hi,
    Is parts 4 and 5 going to be released? These tutorials are really helpful!

12. mahewitt

mahewitt

Hi @diving_squid . I have been refocussing my efforts towards making things work with the new project templates that Unity now includes so unfortunately there won't be future parts to this series working against the Penny Pixel template. Hopefully the learnings so far should be transferable though and once I have something working with those new templates it should also open up a lot of new possabilities.

Regards,
    Mark