Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Other [Tutorial] - Text Mesh Pro: Big playlist of tutorials for text styles, link-tag use cases and more

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Mahunreah, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Mahunreah

Mahunreah

Hi, I'm Christina. I'm a designer and teacher with a love for Gamedesign.
    On my Youtube channel, I post tutorials on design-related topics. Currently, I'm in the middle of a big playlist of how to utilize Text Mesh Pro. I cover Text Styles, how to use the Link tag with different use cases for games, how to tackle materials and effects, but also how to create simple things like a scrollable text box and much more.

The currently newest tutorial:

The playlist:
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg0yr4zozmZX0dJZ-XNa4v0i_kAVx2sfY

I put in a lot of heart blood and I hope you will find it useful :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    Romaleks360 likes this.
  2. Mahunreah

Mahunreah

Released a new video today about how to create a book with Text Mesh Pro. It's way less work than one might think and don't worry, you don't need to chop your text into pieces :) Overflow:page will handle that for you while keeping your text complete in one string.

3. Mahunreah

Mahunreah

New video out today :) Less of a walkthrough/tutorial, more about how to start creating the UI of your game and how/why references are super important when doing so. Not even super Unity-centered.
    It starts with an idea, pen and paper, then working with and finding reference materials and then customizing to fit your own idea/game.
    This is a bit different than my other videos, but I hope it helps people be a bit less frustrated about designing UI =)

4. Mahunreah

Mahunreah

My newest tutorial is all about the basics of Text Mesh Pro: How to install it, how to use the options in the inspector, how to set text by code (and access other features via code as well), how to create a custom font and how to change settings to improve your workflow.

In the second half, you'll see what else you can do with this mighty tool and where to find the tutorials and resources for them: Clicking and hovering on text, having characters in a dialogue setting react to what they are saying, how to create fun effects with outlines, materials and shaders, working with Text Styles, adding sprites (and animating them) and so much more!

If you are new to Text Mesh Pro, it's a good starting point. If you have already been using TMP for a while, I recommend having a look at the second half of the video to get an overview of things you might not yet have known about. Hope you will enjoy it!