Search Unity

Tutorial or best practice for a simple car script

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by plumsklo, May 15, 2017.

1. plumsklo

plumsklo

Hey,

i'm really new to unity and i'd like to create a very basic car in my game. I've looked for a good tutorial to show me how to move the car with all it's features like spinning wheels or changing the angle of the wheels when turning.

I've already looked for a few tutorials online and noticed a lot of different ways to achieve it.
    What i'd like to know wha tis the best practice to create a simple car.

40detectives likes this.
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Honestly, best practice is to purchase a vehicle asset (I use Edy's Vehicle Physics). Doing it from scratch and getting it right is really hard — vehicles are a lot more complicated than they seem (and the built-in WheelCollider pretty much sucks).

Schneider21 likes this.
  3. plumsklo

plumsklo

Ah that's really bad because it's a project for a university course and we aren't allowed to buy complete assets.
    And sadly so far i found a lot of different ways to create a simple car but i kinda have the feeling that they aren't really best practice. Especially if i redo the "tutorial" and the example doesn't work as it should.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

If it's for a school project, just do your best with creating your own. Joe's advice was based on the assumption you wanted a good production-ready solution.

Are you required to have a simulated vehicle in your project? If not, I'd strongly recommend changing your project focus to be about something else less intense.

5. DominoM

DominoM

40detectives likes this.
  6. plumsklo

plumsklo

Yeah i think this might work.
    Thank you.

7. karen_ann

karen_ann

the best car script I know is the unity-made one that just came out, check it out!

8. RamonGiovane

RamonGiovane

link??