Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Tutorial Master 2 - Effortlessly Create Interactive UI Tutorials

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by elmar1028, Aug 2, 2016.

1. elmar1028

elmar1028

2. Uli_Okm

Uli_Okm

Hi @elmar1028 , I`m really interested in this asset but i need to know some things before:
    - Is the version 1.5 far from release (or there is a closed beta avaliable)? Because i will really need the multi-canvas support for my game.
    - Currently, my UI has an structure like: a canvas with two panel as childs, each one being for example "Main menu" and "Inventory menu", each of these panels has childs empty objects for organization purposes like "Screen Top Group" "Main Inventory Panel" and so on. With a structure like this, the darken background and highlight effects will work?

Thanks

3. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi @Uli_Okm,

Tutorial Master 1.5 is in active development with tons of features underway, however, it will take some time to get the backend right in order to make it flexible. I am trying to get the DarkBackground super flexible so it'll get working with various UI setups (e.g like the one you have described).

Highlight Effects will work with no problems as they get assigned as children of the target UI, so it doesn't really matter. But at the moment, the Dark Background will have difficulties with the current setup.

If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll reply right away :)

Elmar

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  4. Nyc

Nyc

Hey there,
    It might be a dumb question to ask, but does Tutorial Master only work on UI element?
    Is it possible to add the tutorial to the actual game, ie highlight and point to a character for example?

5. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi @Nyc,

That's a good question!

Currently, Tutorial Master doesn't work well with non-UI components because Dark Background and Arrow can't directly interact with gameplay objects (or anything outside of their Canvas). I am searching for ways to make this happen!

Elmar

6. RecursiveRuby

RecursiveRuby

Hey,
    Do you have any updates on this or when it may be implemented? It seems like a good system and if I were in need of a tutorial for UI based elements I would 100% buy it. Right now however my tutorial is based on world elements so I'm guessing this probably wouldn't be the best solution?

7. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi,

At the moment, no. Tutorial Master is being rewritten as the current solution isn't modular.

With that problem aside, UI elements like Background and Text etc. will be flexible with positioning and size consistent across all UI modes.

Hopefully, this answers your question!

Elmar

8. xxluky

xxluky

Hi, I bought your fantastic plug-in. Everything seems working fine except the "Tap to Skip Effects" option.

What I need is this: I create a Frame 1 where I show an icon representing the main actor of the game. He will start a long conversation at the biginning of the game. In the Frame 1 I also show text, lets say it is welcome text. After the user clicks anywhere on the screen I want to show another conversation (another text). I want to use clicks instead of a timer. How shoud I do it? My game will be released on Windows and Android. Will it be working using mouse button and Touches too?

9. xxluky

xxluky

Also if I set "Fly Speed" of an Icon 3,5 and "Icon Wrap Value" to 10 and "Fly In Direction" = Right - the same with the "Use Text" option, the image and text are flying in from the Left instead of the Right. If I pause the game before I hit start, then unpause the game the Image and text are flying in from the Right correctly. Is it a Bug?

10. elmar1028

elmar1028

11. elmar1028

elmar1028

Tutorial Master 1.0.4 update is now live on the Asset Store!

Changelog:
    • Added support for Unity2017.1
    • Internal code cleanup

12. elmar1028

elmar1028

Attached Files:

• sale.png
      sale.png
      File size:
      241.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Hormic

Hormic

Hallo Elmar1028,

Is it also easy usable for FPS Games with Frameworks like UFPS, RealisticFPS in combination with Dialogue System?
    Sorry, i hadn't time to dive into the nuts and bolts of your assets to find out what it is capable of by myself.

greetings

14. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi Hormic,

Yes, Tutorial Master works with third party assets assets but it requires some custom C# code to work. Generally, assets like UFPS or RealisticFPS do not usually come in contact with Tutorial Master.

Hope this answers your question!

Elmar

15. Hormic

Hormic

Well thank you, but i don't get it, what you mean by UFPS and RFPS usually don't come in contact with Tutorial Master?
    If i have a FPS game and i want to make a tutorial in the first level, would you reccommend TM or not?

16. elmar1028

elmar1028

What I mean is that you don't have to touch the UFPS or RFPS codebase to implement Tutorial Master. It doesn't make sense to do so since those assets are player controllers.

Tutorial Master works with UGUI in order to display tutorial text and images so there is basically no need to touch gameplay code like player controller unless you absolutely have to (although that would be a bad coding practice).

Whether it's an RPG or FPS or RTP that you're working on, Tutorial Master is compatible! (as long as you're using UGUI for UI)

I hope that cleared things up. Do not hesitate to ask more questions!

Elmar

Hormic likes this.
  17. Hormic

Hormic

Ok, thank you very much, now i got it. :)

18. SweatyChair

SweatyChair

The plugin doesn't work if the UIs are grouped into panels (which is very common if we have 1000 UI objects which shouldn't just under Canvas...):

I'm adding some code to re-parent the button to my TutorialPanel and parent it back after the frame, hopefully this fix the problem.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  19. DualDub

DualDub

Hi,

I have been looking at the emprires in ruins tutorial and I really wonder how they are achieving it using tutorial Master ?
    I am trying to achieve something pretty similar :

• Frame 1 : display a popup panel game object which contains some text to display and an OK Button. The text is the Text UI and is a child of the popup gameobject, and UI Button is the ok button
    • Frame 2: The popup needs to close when the ok button is pressed and an arrow appear on another button of the GUI.
    • Frame 3 : display the popup again with another text,
    • etc...

My problem is :
    When starting frame 1, the popup is not active so the text is not shown. I can use the start tutorial handle to show the popup, but then how to close the popup for frame 2 ? I could try to hook up something on OnFrameEnter() but it seems that this event will trigger for every frames, not just the one that is currently selected in the editor.

Do I need to actually hardcode everything in order to achieve this simple operation ?

Thanks

20. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi there!

First off, I would like to apologize for the lack of reply. I miss forum notifications every once in a while!

To answer your question, this does require some additional coding, essentially reparenting UI elements. The problem is caused due to Unity's UI system changing its depth based on its parent hierarchy.

This is something that I am actively looking into and automating for the next big Tutorial Master update.

Regards,

Elmar

21. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi,

Could you please show me how does your setup look like?

Alternatively, if you'd like to disclose the project, you can privately send an email to support@hardcodelab.com or reproduce an error in a separate project.

Regards,

Elmar

22. fastgamedev

fastgamedev

Hi @elmar1028

Can Tutorial Master use TextMeshPro for displaying text in each tutorial frame?

Best,
    Arman.

23. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi @fastgamedev

Thank you for your interest in Tutorial Master!

Currently, Tutorial Master does not support TextMeshPro, but it can be easily added. I am working on an update to have it implemented.

Regards,

Elmar

24. fastgamedev

fastgamedev

@elmar1028 , thank you. When will you publish that update?

25. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi,

An update will take a while to be finished but I can provide a patch update for existing customers upon request.

Elmar

26. fred_gds

fred_gds

Hey,

I bought the asset and unfortunately had to realize that darkening the background does not work, when having the UI objects structured inside of panels. Are there any plans to fix that really soon? Otherwise this will not be useful to me :/

Best regards,

Fred

27. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi @fred_gds,

I am sorry to hear that Tutorial Master doesn't work out for you.

Would it be possible if I could have a look at your Canvas UI setup. I will see what I can do from there.

Elmar

28. fred_gds

fred_gds

@elmar1028 thanks for the quick reply, I send you a message.

So after some code changes that I made, thanks to it being very structured and easily readable, I was able to implement most of the features, that I was looking for :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  29. elmar1028

elmar1028

30. elmar1028

elmar1028

31. elmar1028

elmar1028

It's been a long time since an update. After months of hard work, a new update is around the horizon.

Tutorial Master 2.0 enters closed beta!

Play updated WebGL Inventory Demo to see some of the new features.

Some new features:
    • Multi-canvas support
    • Popups
    • Built-in localization
    • Focus on non-canvas targets (like a 3D model)!
    • Gameobject pooling
    • New and flexible workflow
    • New and improved UI
    • And more..!
    Read this article for a more detailed overview of new features and changes and find out how to enter the BETA!

32. elmar1028

elmar1028

I am actively looking for participants who are willing to test and provide feedback on Tutorial Master 2 during the CLOSED BETA stage. BETA participants will receive a free copy of Tutorial Master upon its release.

If you’re interested in participating or have any questions, please send a PM or an email to beta@hardcodelab.com

Be sure to mention the following info:
    • Your name (or nickname if you prefer)
    • What is your role in game development (e.g a programmer or an artist)
    • Years of experience
    • Machine Specs
    See you there! :)

33. elmar1028

elmar1028

34. elmar1028

elmar1028

Tutorial Master 2.0.1 Patch Notes

Bug Fixes:
    • [Issue#1] Fixed a bug when module’s transform scale would change if re-parented with Canvas of a different scale apart from 1x1x1
    Improvements:
    • Default prefabs of Arrow and Highlighter Module will no longer block user mouse clicks
    • Added more null checking to minimize uncaught exceptions
    • More reliable error logging
    • Optimized scripts
    If you’ve found a bug, or have any questions. Be sure to check out the support section or sending an email to support@hardcodelab.com

To see currently open issues, see the issues page.

To see previous patch notes, visit the official website.

35. jGate99

jGate99

Hi there,

There is no updated documentation or video tutorials. so its hard to compare with competing products.
    any plans to add those?

Thanks

36. elmar1028

elmar1028

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  37. elmar1028

elmar1028

Tutorial Master 2.0.2 Patch Notes

What's New?
    Improvements:
    • Added Assembly Definition files. The main improvement is faster compilation times whenever you make changes to your scripts. You can read more about assembly definition files here.

Found a bug, or have any questions? Be sure to check out the support section or send an email to support@hardcodelab.com

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  38. tng2903

tng2903

Hello, is there any way to mark a small area interactable for a period of time? Because in the demo, instead of dragging the sword to the slot, I could drag the helmet, the armor, and the shoe. Then, after dragging the sword, the demo will request me to drag the armor to its slot (which has been occupied by the armor previously). :D

39. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi @tng2903, what you can do is creating an invisible UI element that blocks all input and position it on the area that you don't want your users to interact with.

Highlighter Module will be able to do this job nicely:
    1. Create a new GameObject
    2. Assign it a UGUI Highlighter Module Component
    3. Add a Canvas Group Component if there's none.
    4. In Canvas Group, make sure that "Blocks Raycasts" is set to true.
    5. Save it as a prefab
    6. In your target Stage, add a Highlighter Module and enable "Override Prefab" setting
    7. Assign your saved prefab
    8. Set "Position Mode" to "Transform Based".
    9. Assign a transform of a slot that you want to be blocked.
    10. Set "Placement Type " to "Center"
    11. Set "Size Type" to "Based on UI Transform" and assign a transform of a slot that you want to be blocked.

Then have it appear on top of the slot that you want blocked until it needs to be used. You can then duplicate Stages and Modules so that can make things easier!

Let me know if you need help setting it up!

40. loadexfa

loadexfa

Are there plans to add the ability to call a method on a gameObject when a step of the tutorial is complete? I need to trigger parts of my game as the player goes through each tutorial step. Is there a way to do this now that I'm missing? Thanks!

41. loadexfa

loadexfa

Oh, never mind, I found it. Was looking for this on the Modules but this happens on the Stage. Ooops.

42. elmar1028

elmar1028

Learn how to use Tutorial Master - Setting Up!

43. elmar1028

elmar1028

Learn how to create your first tutorial.

44. elmar1028

elmar1028

Learn how to create Localized tutorials

45. elmar1028

elmar1028

Tutorial Master 2.0.3 Patch Notes

Bug Fixes
    • [Issue #4] Fixed a bug when Fly-In and Floating Effects wouldn’t work when “Update Every Frame” was enabled in Module settings.

Improvements
    • Stage Module Editor has been improved to filter them by type. This makes it easier to manage multiple modules. You can always disable the setting by checking “Show all Modules”.
    • Removed unnecessary sprites and code in the Inventory Demo project.
    • Inventory Demo codebase is now inside of its own namespace.
    • Added Assembly Definition for an Inventory Demo codebase.

Changes
    • [Issue #3] Inventory Demo is no longer distributed inside of .unitypackage, but rather in a folder structure to address the broken dependencies issue.
    • Inventory Demo no longer relies on TextMesh Pro plugin to operate.

Found a bug, or have any questions? Be sure to check out the support section or send an email to support@hardcodelab.com

46. jGate99

jGate99

Hi there,

My game (UGUI) based draw the ui dynamically as its a grid based game, similary the text will be dynamic based on the grid size, items and what kind of challenge is on. Which means i need to achieve this via scripting without using non-code approach which im perfectly fine with. So can you please guide if that is possible? i looked at your create first tutorial youtube video, and if you can write steps to achieve the same but with pure scriptting then that'd b really great.
    Thanks

Update:
    Just bought it, hope to receive timely support.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  47. jGate99

jGate99

1- How can i make some stages of tutorial modal, so clicking anywhere on "target canvas" takes to next stage instead of that canvas children (gameplay content) getting events.

2- We have CurrentTutorialIndex support , please add CurrentStageIndex too

48. jGate99

jGate99

I added 4 Stages in my toturial with Popup and Arrows.

Now i need a way to access the popup and arrow modules on runtime per stage (BeforeOnStageEnter Event) where i want to
    - access Popup's title and message so can change it on runtime due to dynamic nature of game
    - access both Popup and arrows's Target field so i can assign the dynamic cell/character on runtime

I mentioned BeforeOnStageEnter because i want to change the content before popup or arrow appears.

and with this feature request solved

I'be your happiest 5 stars customer :)

49. elmar1028

elmar1028

Hi @jGate99

Thank you for your purchase!

You can use Triggers. Select an option "Key Press" and set the input to be "Mouse 0". This will take you to the next stage of the tutorial whenever you click or tap anywhere.

You can access CurrentStageIndex through ActiveTutorial.CurrentStageIndex.

You can add your code in OnDelayEnd() and set the delay to 0.1, this will make sure it executes before stage is activated.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Kind Regards,

Elmar

jGate99 likes this.
  50. jGate99

jGate99

Thank you for your reply. Im glad i purchased this than other options.

1- Will Mouse 0 work for Touch too? as this game will work both on Desktop and Mobile.