Search Unity

Tutorial - Making Your WebGL game go LIVE using Dropbox!

Discussion in 'Web' started by nevaran, Dec 28, 2015.

1. nevaran

nevaran

UPDATE: Due to new dropbox rules, you can no longer host games on it. :<
    Other sites like google drive should work though, just needs to be replaced by the right url!

Have you ever wanted to add your WebGL game to a service like dropbox, or any similar services for others to play in a browser? Me too!
    So, i have made a simple tutorial on how to make this work, as if you are playing it locally!

Since in Unity 5.4 WebPlayer will no longer be supported, i have decided to do this in-depth tutorial on how to make your game work in WebGL for everyone to play, step by step.o_O

The first thing to do is go in the Editor and Build your actual game in the WebGL platform in a folder, named appropriately(most commonly your game or company name).

--
    After that, we Upload the whole folder in dropbox by copying(or cutting) the folder we have created, with our built WebGL game in it.

--
    After the upload is done we copy the .html file's dropbox URL and try out if the link works.

--
    But wait! What is this? It seems that our game does not load itself, but gives us a download to our html file.
    This is where this tutorial will shine(i really wanted to write that, sorry :))

The first thing you need to know, is that dropbox.com is Not our base url we need to be using.
    Instead, we need to use dl.dropboxusercontent.com - this is the actual base url for the user to be able to load the files, instead of downloading them!
    And if you want to make it a bit cleaner(because we will be using this a lot, you can remove the end of the url: ?dl=0 - it is not required).

--
    Now instead of showing us to download it, it loads our html file!
    But there is still more work to do!

As you can see, our game is not loading, and there is no window at all, only some text on top and bottom of the page, and our 'created by Unity' text on the very bottom.
    For us to fix this, we need to get our hands dirty!

We need to open our .html file that we uploaded with an editing program. Im using Visual Studio for this.

Inside it, we will see some code that most of us dont understand, but there is still some logic we can understand in there!
    We need to edit all our file paths, by replacing them with our dropbox files's URL links. First time is always the hardest, but dont worry, it gets easier over time!
    Dont forget to use dl.dropboxusercontent.com instead of the original dropbox.com URL.

And in this picture we have our fully edited html file how it should be in order for it to load our game.

Note that where the files have 'gz' at the end in the Release folder in their file type, you must remove the 'gz' part in the edited URL. Otherwise it will give you an error when trying to load the game using our edited URL.

We must do the same for the UnityProgress.js file found in the TemplateData folder.

And when reloading our page that we tried with our edited html link, we see that our game works and its loading!

--
    Congratulations!
    We successfully managed to build, upload, and edit our WebGL game for the world to play! :p

And for those who want to try out the WebGL tests game i have made, here it is!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. Seneral

Seneral

All working great, but this error
    'Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden)'
    pops up two times. It does not break anything though.
    First time is that it cannot find logo.png (NOT progresslogo.png), but I can't seem to find the place where to correct the path...
    Second time is the 'codeURL' variable (.jsgz). I specified the correct path without the 'gz' at the end, and he throws the error - adding the gz into the path causes the other two files to throw an error. I can manually download it though when adding the gz.

It's not breaking anything, but not very nice.
    If you need to check, this will give you the errors.
    Thanks for the tutorial anyway:)

3. nevaran

nevaran

It loads just fine for me. Have you tried using different browser?

4. Seneral

Seneral

I tried it in Chrome first, which throws the errors mentioned above. Full log in chrome:
    Screenshot9.jpg
    Again, content loads just fine despite these errors.

In IE, this message pops up:
    Screenshot10.jpg
    If I continue anyway, IE crashes...
    If I wait for it to load before I click ok, I can run it fine with the following log:
    Screenshot15.jpg
    So seems to work without the errors mentioned before on IE.

In Firefox, I can't seem to get it to work at all. Curiously, it shows this:
    Screenshot12.jpg
    Funny enough, because I do run on Firefox already. It also throws errors that it can't create GL context, which should only appear if my setup is unsupported, but I already checked, it is not marked as unsupported on the firefox pages...

Anyway, my initial problem seems to only appear in Chrome...
    I'll try if any of these problems is related to my built or If I experience it in other demos, too.

Edit: All the same for your demo, too (respective errors) :(
    I also get out of ram on IE in your demo...
    Atleast it's not strictly my faultxD

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  5. nevaran

nevaran

I think your browsers might have some restrictions towards loading content and memory limit. Im sadly not sure which they are, but you could try installing IObit Advanced Systemcare and running a full scan. Theres a free version of each of their program, and they normally have some great value fixes that make your computer run faster.
    If with the changes the program did did not work, the best thing you could do is try and research in google as of why its doing this to you.

6. Seneral

Seneral

Hm, that seems unlikely to me;) 16GB Ram, all browsers installed on an SSD, 64Bit versions (except IE which is 64 BBit installed but opens the WebGL demos as 32bit), and I've a relatively good PC overall.
    Maybe it's really related to the Graphics driver or even the GPU model or something else... aslong as Chrome runs it's not that important to me;)

7. nevaran

nevaran

Your PC may have 16gb of ram, but the browser's limit might be 1gb, maybe even less.
    From what i remember, iobit unlocked my limits(you could probably do it manually but im not sure where the settings are at)

8. Tressor_Studio

Tressor_Studio

nevaran Thanks you very much for your gide .

Hi I am try to set my game in facebook canvas with WebGL following your guide , but i am getting this error "Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL" see the image.JPG in Creme brouser ,firefox and explorer.

Any helps are appreciated ¡

Attached Files:

9. nevaran

nevaran

Editing program you are using might be giving wrong symbols, or you missed something in the editing the URLs

10. Tressor_Studio

Tressor_Studio

Thanks navaran

I have using the free drop box , in this don't have compression system . Now i upload to paid server and this work :)

11. nevaran

nevaran

Thats nice to hear ;) Cheers

12. GoldenEv

GoldenEv

First of all, it works great! Thanks for this post!
    Second of all, if you are a completionist like me, there's another link, inside the style.css file, there's the url(logo.png) part. Just put in the full logo path in parentheses (ie. url("https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/blablabla/logo.png")). It shows the WebGL logo on the bottom left :)

Seneral likes this.
  13. nevaran

nevaran

Very nice!
    Have not noticed it was there ;)
    PS: it also works without quotas :) just tried it out!

14. Pauleta

Pauleta

Cool! Thanks =)

15. Albazcythe

Albazcythe

Thanks a lot for sharing!

16. sir_luke

sir_luke

Thanks a lot for sharing, great tutorial!
    @Efect I got the same error at first attempt, then I read the original post more in depth:
    this definitely solved the problem and now a web demo of my game is available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/6phaxh1qbsh03s9/index.html

Thanks again!

17. Ben-Sampson

Ben-Sampson

Hi,
    You can also upload your WebGL games on a free game hosting site, CheeseGames.net

18. nevaran

nevaran

Anywhere is possible as long as it supports links to the files similar to dropboxs'

19. Nitride

Nitride

I can't seem to get the dl.dropboxusercontent.com to work and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've tried multiple times (with and without the 's' in https) and it still won't work. Any idea? Thanks

20. nevaran

nevaran

I am not absolutely sure, but i think it may have to do with the ability to use public folders? I havent tried putting the WebGL game before ive gotten that, so it may be that.
    Have you made sure every single file referenced is set with the url? Note that you must use dl.dropboxusercontent.com to the html file that loads the game also

21. Sinci1

Sinci1

Hey, I have tried this and it works, until now. For some reason, all the games have gone down, it just says "An error occurred running the Unity content on this page. See your browser's JavaScript console for more info. The error was:
    SyntaxError: illegal character" and I don't know what to do :(, I am trying to rebuild the game so I will see if it works then
    see ya
    EDIT: "Sadly It does not work ;("
    -Sinci1

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  22. nevaran

nevaran

Good to hear im not the only one! Something might've happened in the recent updates, maybe? It might be a bug, not a bad idea to report it.

23. Sinci1

Sinci1

hmm maybe? but i dont know how to report :p
    -Sinci1
    Edit: I think its because of dropbox, because if you go on another page like http://www.cheesegames.net unity games Will work, hmm this is really strange

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  24. nevaran

nevaran

They might have made it so you cannot do it on dropbox anymore, sadly...But hey, cant blame them! Haha

25. Sinci1

Sinci1

Hey can you report this to unity?
    or
    Tell me a good dropbox altrnative that supports direct links?

26. nevaran

nevaran

Its not unity's fault - the local build works just fine. Its after converting it in dropbox that destroys everything. We could wait for dropbox to fix it or maybe start our own site page thingie using Apache or similar.

27. Sinci1

Sinci1

Hey, I got good news! I found an alternative to dropbox... Google drive!
    for a tutorial (not made by me) here it is :

28. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Hello nevaran and Sinci1.

The reason why your build does not launch is because currently dl.dropboxusercontent.com serves file content based on the url folder and ignoring the actual filename. Compare for example, responses from:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ssiem6hzh6tdz09/style.css and
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ssiem6hzh6tdz09/anything

The Unity loader therefore has no way to know that your server is serving compressed content, because the loader receives compressed data on the request for uncompressed file, instead of the 404 error that it would normally expect for a missing file.

To resolve this issue, you can manually disable requests to uncompressed content and force the Unity loader to always use JavaScript decompression. You can achieve this by adding the following compatibilitycheck handler to your Module object in the index.html:

Code (JavaScript):
    1.   var Module = {
    2.     TOTAL_MEMORY: 268435456,
    3.     errorhandler: null,            // arguments: err, url, line. This function must return 'true' if the error is handled, otherwise 'false'
    4.     compatibilitycheck: function() { LoadCompressedFile = DecompressAndLoadFile; CompatibilityCheck(); },
    5.     dataUrl: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/kkpumk96vjwpvef/cube.datagz",
    6.     codeUrl: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/oahon4esarsvcmm/cube.jsgz",
    7.     memUrl: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/npdybzbcgcgriyk/cube.memgz",
    8.   };
    Then the build should run as expected (tested on 5.4.0b10, some versions might require minor adjustment). Let me know if you need any help with this.

Dropbox hosted spinning cube demo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/lu4f1b3sos3mfgm/index.html

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    John3D, nevaran, Sinci1 and 1 other person like this.
  29. Sinci1

Sinci1

Thank you for your response, however i am going to use google drive because it comes with 15 gb space, Thank you again.

30. nevaran

nevaran

Hey! Thanks for explaining the problem - i got to the same conclusion but didnt knew how to fix it.
    Your demo works but for some reason mine doesnt do the same. Im using unity 5.3.x
    You can try it out here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/9ccs5r2hesmbd33/ModernFPSKitDEMO.html

31. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Hello nevaran.

I will try to explain the basic idea behind all this, so that you will be able to create your own workaround for any Unity version.

So, we got a standard way of downloading WebGL content implemented in UnityLoader.js. However, the dropbox server does not act as standard server and instead of returning 404 for a missing file, it is serving another file from the same folder. So we need to adjust the UnityLoader.js to deal with this nonstandard behavior. For example, this can be achieved by overriding the LoadCompressedFile function with DecompressAndLoadFile function, but overriding can be only performed at the moment when those functions are already defined, i.e. after UnityLoader.js has been loaded. In the example above I was using the compatibilitycheck handler to inject JavaScript code into UnityLoader.js, as this handler is called from the UnityLoader.js like:

Module.compatibilitycheck?Module.compatibilitycheck():CompatibilityCheck();

So, as you can see, in this specific case this has nothing to do with compatibility, it is rather just one of possible ways to inject your code into another js without modifying it. Unlike 5.4, in the 5.3.4f1 version you are using, compatibilitycheck is called after the files are already set for download, so it is too late to override the download function. Still, there are other ways to do this (in addition to just serving uncompressed files, which will also work, but is slow and affects your limited dropbox bandwidth), for example:

1) Override the download function directly in the loader. I.e. just put the following line on the top of your UnityLoader.js:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. LoadCompressedFile = DecompressAndLoadFile;
    Then you will get it working like this:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/segdmhfnhpnrea1/ModernFPSKitDEMO_override_loader.html

2) If you don't want to modify the UnityLoader.js (for example, when you don't have access to it), you can still perform some trick in the index.html. The main html shares the Module variable with other JavaScript code, including UnityLoader.js. And, of course, the urls provided in the Module will be accessed from the UnityLoader.js at some point, means that it is sufficient to just override a Module accessor in order to inject your code into any other JavaScript that is using this Module variable, for example:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1.   var Module = {
    2.     TOTAL_MEMORY: 536870912,
    3.     errorhandler: null,            // arguments: err, url, line. This function must return 'true' if the error is handled, otherwise 'false'
    4.     compatibilitycheck: null,
    5.     dataUrl: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jegy3dr11nksez1/FPS%20Kit%20DEMO.datagz",
    6.     codeUrl: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4w075ll2m6m3mqe/FPS%20Kit%20DEMO.jsgz",
    7.     memUrl: "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/bs431tv4jeo5f0c/FPS%20Kit%20DEMO.memgz",
    8.   };
    10.   Module._codeUrl = Module.codeUrl;
    11.   Object.defineProperty(Module, 'codeUrl', { get: function() { LoadCompressedFile = DecompressAndLoadFile; return this._codeUrl; }});
    Then you will get it working like this:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/aj6ea0tpynfuxy7/modernFPSKitDEMO_override_accessor.html

Of course, such a nonstandard approach should only be considered in a nonstandard situation, when there is no other way to resolve it. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    nevaran likes this.
  32. nevaran

nevaran

Very nice! I have tried the first trick and works like a charm.
    Many thanks for resolving this issue!
    Cheers

PS: removing the 'gz' in the url file types or leaving them alone doesnt seem to matter, or does it?

33. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

In this specific case not only extension, but also the whole filename does not matter. As has been noted before, in case of dl.dropboxusercontent.com you can as well just put i.e. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ssiem6hzh6tdz09/anything there. Although I would of course leave some meaningful filename in order to differentiate the links.
    In most other cases you would just use the default generated index.html (without manually added suffixes or other modifications).

34. nevaran

nevaran

Alright, gotcha - thanks a lot for helping out!

35. overseer314

overseer314

THIS IS MINT!!! takes about a tenth the time, and no matter how hard my school tries, they cant block google drive!

36. Tiranus

Tiranus

hello. I didi all part except removing "gz", was not able to find it.. actualy found "gz" in unityloader.js and made it like a comment (//url += "gz"; ) but i think it is wrong way. pls can u help to solve problem.
    Here is screen what i am geting with dropbox link

Attached Files:

• err.jpg
      err.jpg
      File size:
      161.8 KB
      Views:
  37. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Hello Tiranus.

For Unity 5.4 and above you can follow this guide:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tu...me-go-live-using-dropbox.376471/#post-2655512

For Unity 5.3 you can follow this guide:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tu...me-go-live-using-dropbox.376471/#post-2663575

As has been mentioned above, filename and file extension should not make any difference, as only the folder name matters according to the latest changes in dropbox.

P.S. in addition to the WebGL content links, you may also want to replace the style and images links for your index.html and UnityProgress.js, for example:
    Code (html):
    1.     <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ssiem6hzh6tdz09/style.css">
    2.     <link rel="shortcut icon" href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3a25v9x7sgz6km3/favicon.ico" />
    3.     <script src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/7ym6fjas2h62565/UnityProgress.js"></script>

Tiranus likes this.
  38. Tiranus

Tiranus

Thank you! I will try it

39. akuno

akuno

40. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Hello akuno.

The solution provided above did not work for you because you are using a newer revision of Unity.
    Instead of overriding the Module.codeUrl try to use the following code for injection:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. Object.defineProperty(Module, 'memoryInitializerRequest', {
    2.   get: function() { return this._memoryInitializerRequest; },
    3.   set: function(value) { LoadCompressedFile = DecompressAndLoadFile; this._memoryInitializerRequest = value; }
    4. });
    Note that specific code does not matter here, the only thing that we are trying to achieve is to override the LoadCompressedFile function after it has been parsed and before it has been executed the first time. In your specific case there is for example a Module.memoryInitializerRequest access, which we can use for injection of the code. Let me know it this helps.

akuno likes this.
  41. akuno

akuno

Thanks for the reply ;) I will try as soon as I get home

42. gauge2727

gauge2727

It seems that Dropbox has changed the way their system handles files and this method no longer works. For kicks, I reverted to the www.dropbox.com default on the main index page and it served the basic html and styling without the player, however, attempting to revert the other links within the webGL build borked the whole thing (as expected). Hopefully someone with more experience and/or knowledge can sort this out and it's not the death of Dropbox hosting for testing purposes.

43. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Hello gauge2727.

Yes, you are right, it seems that they have changed this just recently, even though it was working fine last week. Now there is a Content-Disposition: attachment header present which enforces the download dialog. You mentioned you were able to open the html using dropbox.com link instead. Could you provide an example of such link that opens html directly?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  44. gauge2727

gauge2727

@alexsuvorovdv - all I did was revert to the default www share link instead of the dl.usercontent on the index page. This will get it to serve the basic HTML and style sheets, so the other dl.usercontent changes suggested still appear to be handled decently, but it doesn't load the webGL player at all. I tried this change with 3 projects to make sure it wasn't a fluke and can get the index.html to load in the same way. You should be able to do it with any of yours as well, but here's a link to one of mine that I made the change with anyway, just to demonstrate it serving the page. https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg28irei14czoxl/index.html

*** EDIT ***

I'm guessing it has something to do with this error that shows up in console on inspect of the loaded html

"chrome-extension://cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb/include.preload.js:346 Blocked script execution in 'https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/c...DRnG3FRVdE6k1MT8Bvr2io6hsV347YHlOFmHZhR9/file' because the document's frame is sandboxed and the 'allow-scripts' permission is not set."

*** EDIT 2 *** It seems that the link I provide now returns a "can not preview" download interface, so I'm at a loss.

As a side-note, I'm using my personal, temporary solution so I don't lose testing workflow. By moving an unchanged copy of the index.html files for my projects to another cloud (mega.nz) and using the "stream" feature on their desktop client, I can load and test projects that are found in dropbox. Not a perfect solution, but as a solo hobbyist it keeps things moving.

Hopefully Dropbox can be sorted out or we (the community) can come up with an alternative soon. I know I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I have since it was created, haha.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  45. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Yes, that is exactly what I've been seeing as well. It is not broken though. This Dropbox change seems to be intentional. I have found things like that on the web (from September 1st, 2016):
    Basically, the only thing you need is the browser to directly display the index.html hosted on a public drive. Once you can achieve this, you will most likely be able to run Unity WebGL build from such a public drive as well.

P.S. Your approach is very reasonable. As long as Dropbox provides proper CORS headers, you can just use some very basic hosting to serve the html file, while the rest of the build can be hosted on Dropbox.

46. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi... i wanted do upload and run a webgl demo from DropBox, however i wasn't able... i went through the posts and i see that there are some changes about dropbox... Any way now to run a WebGL demo from DropBox ( using Unity 5.4.1 and up) or is there any other alternative to dropbox i can put the demo on...!?

47. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Hello Vagabond_.

As has been mentioned above, the problem is not that Dropbox does not host WebGL content, but rather that Dropbox does not host HTML content the same way as before (now it is served as attachment). There are a lot of hosting providers that let you host your content and give you a subdomain for free. The only problem with such providers is that they have limited bandwidth. So, you can host just your index.html file on a free hosting and all the other build files (including .datagz, .memgz, .jsgz) on Dropbox (using the guide provided above). Then you will have minimal bandwidth usage for your HTML hosting, as all the build files will be served from Dropbox.

P.S. There are also some other suggestions in this thread about alternative hosting possibilities.

48. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Ok, it's now clear.
    And thanks for suggestions :)

49. gauge2727

gauge2727

Yeah, I got an email from Dropbox around the time I posted to this thread that said that. Sort of annoying, but not the end of the world. I don't suppose you've experimented with Nextcloud/Owncloud in an effort to replicate the former HTML rendering of Dropbox? I know in most situations it might seem pointless, but I can think of several where this would be an adequate solution. I'm just not sure how much work would go into it, and it's not exactly something I have much knowledge in.

50. Ben-Sampson

Ben-Sampson

Hi, just upload the index.html file, templatedata folder, and release folder to cheesegames.net. Then demo or share the URL of the game from there. You can continue updating the game build files and then remove it after you're done. It's also quite interesting to check out the Unity3D games that other developers are showing off or testing there.