Search Unity

Tutorial for making Angry Birds style game in Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RichAllen2023, Apr 6, 2021.

1. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

A friend of mine sent me this tutorial for Unity yesterday, I don't have the thing running on either of my boxes yet but I will do soon.

Here's the video.

I'm looking forward to having a go at it at some point.

ZozulZozula likes this.
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Hi Rich! Did you have a question? Personally I stay away from tutorials that make you type the code from a video and don't provide the completed project. Personal preference.

3. jbnlwilliams1

jbnlwilliams1

That's a Jason Weimann tutorial. His tutorials are excellent. But you do have to keep up as he moves rather quickly. So I find myself pausing the video a lot.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I would consider this poor advice for learners in general, though. Typing in code (whether from a video, a book, etc.) is an excellent way to learn. Merely watching a video, and then opening a completed project — or even copying/pasting code — is a lousy way to learn, especially for beginners. They fail to notice the details, and things just don't stick.

Of course when you're an advanced learner just picking up a new technique, the situation is quite different. Your brain already has all the right slots for the information you're seeing; you see it, say "oh, that's the trick," and have no trouble retaining it.

Just wanted to bring this up since I know some readers of this thread are likely beginners who really should be typing in code. @jbnlwilliams1's suggestion to frequently pause the video is a great approach.

Murphy219 and stain2319 like this.
  5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Totally understood and agreed to a degree. However, beginners often get stuck on a syntax error and are not able to continue. Granted just copying code is not a good idea. I'm not suggesting to open the project in full, I'm suggesting to (only) refer to it when you get stuck. Like the problem answers in the back of a text book. I don't buy a text without the answers to the even/odd problems. But upon reflection, given the option, I do agree that it's best not to include the project code, it's just too tempting to just copy it and continue without full understanding.

JoeStrout likes this.
  6. rachidlahzami7

rachidlahzami7

yeah that problem is very common especially among game development tutorials