Search Unity

Tutorial FOR a game?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by brodan100105, Mar 7, 2017.

1. brodan100105

brodan100105

Ok, im making my simple game. And im like "how do the players know how to play the game?" so i wanted to make a tutorial level. But i dont know how to make a tutorial for a game! Does anyone know where i should go to learn this. Like it might involve using the UI or just any ideas how how i would go about making this tutorial?

2. mikael_juhala

mikael_juhala

I think it depends completely on the game:
    • For some games the tutorial could be presented in a form of a prologue to the story. In such case other characters could simply explain the mechanics through dialogue. The tutorials would be part of the game's story.
    • Some games might require on-screen instructions that stay there until a level is completed. The next level can then contain other instructions. In this case the instructions are part of the level design.
    • UI heavy games might require dimming overlays that highlight certain UI elements with a text explaining what to do, such as "click to accept mission". The overlay would prevent the player from interacting with anything other than that specific UI element.
    Does any of these cases fit your game?