Search Unity

Tutorial: Flowmaps, and adding flow support to Unity's Water4

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by sgoodrow, Sep 3, 2014.

1. sgoodrow

sgoodrow

For a long time I've wanted to have flowing water in our Unity game. We've been quite happy with Unity Pro's Water4 package, aside from this lacking feature. Last week I decided to figure it out.

It turns out its not as scary as I thought! I decided to write a blog post on how it works and provide my implementation to anyone who wants it. The post takes the form of a tutorial on how flowmaps and flowmap shaders work, in general.

If you do use the provided source, you will need to make some adjustments to make it work with your project, but it should be pretty easy. I'd be more than happy to help with that, here. You also will need to have Unity's Water4 package already (Unity Pro).

http://www.thewildeternal.com/blog/2014/09/02/devlog-flowing-water/

Let me know what you think!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. Teila

Teila

Just what I need! I do have an issue with the Flow Painter. Is there a good video for non-artists out there that helps to make flow maps? I see the link, I see the pretty picture, and it says to just "draw the flow map". Maybe I am making it too complicated but what exactly does that mean? Sorry to sound ignorant. ;)

Other than that, your water looks fabulous and your solution works. Thanks.

3. sgoodrow

sgoodrow

Really glad to hear it works. You may want to check back in a few weeks for a slightly updated, improved version. Mostly improved usability.

As for drawing the flow maps, the Flow Map Painter lets you add an overlay image, as well as show some a demonstration of the animated flow with another overlay of a tiling water texture. These two images are usually enough for me, you draw in the direction of flow (small strokes), it helps to work "upstream" if possible/relevant.

Teila likes this.
  4. TSRajesh

TSRajesh

Appears this flowmap tutorial is not online anymore. Can anyone please provide me a pointer?

5. sgoodrow

sgoodrow

Sorry about that @TSRajesh, our website got reorganized so the link broke. I've updated it in the OP, take another look.

6. Teila

Teila

You might consider Aquas which has a nice tutorial and also a way to export the maps you need to make the flowmap. It is pretty cool! I am using that now.

dogmachris likes this.
  7. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Jason booth has made a flow mapper (and vertex painter) plug in available for free. Google his name and vertex painter. It's what I will be using for my latest stuff

8. TSRajesh

TSRajesh

Thank you for fixing the link.

9. kehuho

kehuho

Hi! Could you please create a demo project?