Search Unity

Tutorial dysfunction

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Zinoviya, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Zinoviya

Zinoviya

I am working through some of the unity tutorials, so that I can pick up basic concepts.

And... I am stuck.

Specifically, I'm working through the lego microgame tutorial in unity version 2019.4.17f1 personal (which is what the unityhub specified by the unity essentials pathway has had me using), and the tutorial wants me to drag an elevator block into the scene view, but the elevator block is not draggable for me while the tutorial is active.

Shutting down the tutorial, dragging an elevator block into the scene, and then restarting the tutorial almost works, but the tutorial will not let me progress so I cannot read the rest of the tutorial. I have no idea what has caused this issue, so I do not know if my problem can be reproduced by someone else.

Searching for hints, I have found other people encountering analogous (but different) issues. Specifically, in the threads Tutorials are broken - Unity Forum and Getting started: Lego Mini tutorial stuck at "rotate the platform" - Unity Forum

I am not prepared to debug the tutorials. I would like to know how to access the content in the tutorial after the point where I am stalled (the page indicator states I am on page 2 of 12, suggesting an additional 10 pages of content that I would like to see).

How should I proceed here?

r137, thathurtabit and LootHunter like this.
  2. mrcakey

mrcakey

I've got the same issue and at least two more have the same issue in the tutorial comments section. Seems to be a recent thing judging from the date of comments.

I've submitted a bug report.

I tried to submit a bug report - it crashed! Sigh...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    thathurtabit likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I thought for a while that I had the same problem but alas, it was only a facepalm-worthy mistake - You have to click and drag it from the *text* specifically whereas I was constantly trying to do it from the icon. It might be that you were doing the exact same thing. (Honestly, doesn't seem too intuitive IMO but at least it's working now)

lusbe, ryandcook, luja_dev and 6 others like this.
  4. redcodeyz

redcodeyz

thank for clicking and dragging the text. :)

initiate_learn likes this.
  5. rmclean32

rmclean32

facepalm... thanks for figuring that out!

6. TomasVoracek

TomasVoracek

Oh my that was so stupid. Thanks

7. rlneumiller

rlneumiller

Looking at it now at least they made an effort to point it out by highlighting the text, though I didn't get it either - interesting (aka "poor") UI choice.

8. krishnandusarkar

krishnandusarkar

OMG! I was trying for so long and restarted the editor and everything. Nothing worked and then I thought of googling the issue and bam! I found this.

Thanks a lot @Pawtacle, you saved our day! However, this is really a bad UI choice Unity. I'm not even sure if any officials even watch this forum or is it simply a community-run forum!

9. Tigersong

Tigersong

Noice. I put one in, exited the tutorial and I'm back at the same step. Which means I'll have to exit the tutorial to remove that first brick... Scratch that: I just had to enable brick selection and grab the first elevator brick.

10. thathurtabit

thathurtabit

I was having the same issue! Thank you for posting the solution.

11. arrow101

arrow101

Where is the text that you are supposed to drag in this screenshot?

Attached Files:

Muunti and eden_rozen like this.
  12. mikaatlu

mikaatlu

I have the exact same issue atm. I managed to drag the brick into the scene, however, the Tutorials section doesn't recognize my action, i.e., I cannot click on Next to proceed to the next steps. Help, anyone, please?