Search Unity

Tutorial Designer - Visual Scripting for event based Workflow

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Migoun, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Migoun

Migoun

Tutorial Designer saves you the work of extending your scripts and rewriting your Gamelogic, to built a Tutorial on top of it. Instead you can leave everything in place, and let this asset take care of it. It combines Visual Scripting, Workflow Design and Dialogue Creation in one piece. Put together your Tutorial steps and watch the progress in Realtime, as the game is running. Start at individual steps for testing specific Tutorial parts.
    Bring your own graphics for the panels and buttons. Forget about Unity’s UI layouting and use TD to handle all this. If you like intuitive tools that make your life easier, but still want to keep control about what’s going on, this is your asset!

Open Asset Store
    Current Release 1.3.3 (Nov 26, 2018)
    • Visualised Scripting
    • Monitoring
    • Event-based Storyline
    • Custom Dialogues
    • Variables within Dialogues
    • Native Unity-UI for Dialogues
    • Design your own theme
    • Everything saved into Scene
    • Text Mesh Pro Support
    • One-Time Tutorial possible
    • Full Demo-Games included
    • Multi-Language Support

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Fronne and theANMATOR2b like this.
  2. sicga123

sicga123

So I purchased this today because I am getting close to needing to do a tutorial. Needless to say on import it broke the project and had to be deleted. Why? A c# file with the name 'Game.cs', no doubt there were others similar. What? you expect no other asset store or developer ever used the name 'Game' in a .cs before? Does it even have a namespace so it doesn't conflict with other assets or the main project? I can see now just looking at the script list in the asset store after deleting the asset that it has scripts called event and eventmanager and node - what are the odds those names have never been used? Dialogue as a name as well. Really make my life easier, save time? Not so far.

Fronne likes this.
  3. Baroni

Baroni

Hello @sicga123, thanks for noticing that. All actual Tutorial Designer scripts are in their own namespace, but we've clearly missed putting the example scene scripts (three in total) in there as well. "Broke the project" is a bit exaggerated - you could simply put these three scripts in the existing TutorialDesigner namespace too. We'll handle that very shortly.

Fronne likes this.
  4. sicga123

sicga123

Broke the project is not exaggerating given that I am using another asset and the errors cascaded, however, removing your asset obviously solved the problem. Please note, I contacted you via the forum and didn't leave a tainted review. Given that mistakes are made any review I give won't be influenced by an error in the demo scripts.

5. Migoun

Migoun

@sicga123, Sorry about that. I've fixed that, and put the demo in an isolated namespace. It shouldn't affect your other scripts any more. The update should be online in about an hour. If you see "Originally released: 17 November 2016" below the asset, it is up to date.
    Thanks for the hint. Hope you enjoy the tool.

6. julianr

julianr

This looks good. Just about to do a tutorial too! Purchased

Migoun, Baroni and Fronne like this.
  7. Fronne

Fronne

This can be another Must Have Asset (I have SIS and SWS tagged as Must Have) from Rebound Games...
    I'm going to buy TD for sure if there is a simple way (new feature?) to add a bool to disable/enable a specific tutorial...

Something like this:

When a player saw a specific tutorial, there should be an option to disable the tutorial next time the scene is entered. Inside the Dialogue there should be an option, something like "Don't show again" or "I got it". If checked the tutorial should be ignored next time. I need several "Tutorials" in the same or different Levels so each tutorial should be turned on or off seperately. At the moment I have 40+ Levels, I also want to use the same tutorial in different Levels because I don't know wich Level is entered first. How can I use a specific tutorial global?

Cheers!
    Franco Palmieri - Fronne

Migoun and Baroni like this.
  8. Baroni

Baroni

Thank you @julianr and @Fronne for checking out our new asset :)

This very much depends on your implementation I guess, but all tutorial steps in the scene can be fired by code using EventManager.TriggerEvent("Event Name"). So with that, you could check the currently enabled "tutorial" in an array of booleans and trigger the corresponding event.

Tutorial Designer assets are bound to the scene and cannot be used across them. I think an export option to move one tutorial from one scene to another is planned for an update, but I'll have to leave that to @Migoun (who is on vacation next week).

Migoun and Fronne like this.
  9. Cdngater

Cdngater

I have a question regarding dialogs, it says you use the native UI so does that mean your using OnGui and not uGui? Basically I have a need to have the dialogs in world space and not screen space which this looks like.

Or is it possible to have triggers to display my own dialogs and then have callbacks into the tutorial engine?

Thanks.

10. Baroni

Baroni

@Cdngater It uses Unity UI (formerly known as UGUI).

Absolutely. In a step you can have UnityEvents calling methods of your scripts (Tutorial Designer -> your code) and call EventManager.TriggerEvent to do the opposite (your code -> Tutorial Designer).

Fronne likes this.
  11. Migoun

Migoun

Hi Fronne / cdngater,

first of all, thank you for using TD and giving us those important hints and tips! About the topics:
    You can disable the Tutorial by simply deactivating the TutorialSystem gameobject in the hierarchy. It doesn't however store a boolean if the player have done it before. I would suggest to do that by PlayerPrefs. Then the value is stored locally on the device, even if the player opens the game the next time. BY that you could activate or deactivate TutorialSystem.

Using the same Tutorial across scenes is currently in development, i'm writing an Import/export function to json Format. It will be available soon.

Cdngater: yes world space is possible. You can just link your own Canvas to the TutorialSystem gameobject. This can be any type you Desire.
    If it should be on another Position everytime it's displayed, you have to define that by a custom action in that specific dialogue.
    But I'll take that idea in consideration for the next update.

Thank you!
    Best, Migoun

Fronne likes this.
  12. Cdngater

Cdngater

Thanks for your replies, that is very good news. I should be playing with the TutorialSystem with the next week or so, so if I have issues, I'll be back!. ( bad humor, need more coffee)!

Fronne and Migoun like this.
  13. Fronne

Fronne

That's GOOD news indeed Migoun...
    I didn't purchase it yet but will most likely do so in a couple of days, depending on your answer...

There are some issues I can see without even installing TD, in the Package Contents there are two classes named Ball.cs and Game.cs that will cause some problems with a number of users. I was just busy "rewriting" and "renaming" some code of another plugin because it had a Class named Score.cs... :cool:

As you might expect, the game I'm working on has a Ball(.cs), a Score(.cs), and also a Class named Game.cs... :p

If you promise me to change those common Class names into some less conflicting names like TDBall.cs or whatever you can think of I just might click on Unity's green Buy now Button... ;)

Cheers!
    Franco Palmieri - Fronne

14. Baroni

Baroni

@Fronne Please see this post above. They already are in their own namespace; you wouldn't want to put your other scripts in the Tutorial Designer Demo namespace too.

15. Fronne

Fronne

I had to be stoned or drunk (or both) at the time I liked those posts... :rolleyes:
    Hope Alzheimer's didn't start already... :D
    I can't remember reading it... :confused:

Cheers?,
    Franco Palmieri - Fronne

16. Baroni

Baroni

You've liked nearly every post in this thread, maybe you did a faceroll on your desk :p

Fronne likes this.
  17. Fronne

Fronne

Couldn't resist Unity's Green Button this time...
    Have a great weekend (vacation)...

Cheers,
    Franco Palmieri - Fronne

Migoun likes this.
  18. Migoun

Migoun

:Dthank you!

19. Migoun

Migoun

Update Release tonight!

Version 1.1
    - New Feature: Import and Export a Tutorial to JSON file
    - Multi-Selecting /-Moving /-Deleting Nodes
    - Multi-Editing Dialogues at once
    - More Settings for Dialogues
    - One-Time Tutorial for Scenes or the whole Project
    - Simple Soccer Demo-Scene included
    - Automatically creating Canvas and EventSystem in a new Scene,if not existing

Fronne and julianr like this.
  20. Migoun

Migoun

Version 1.2
    - MultiLanguage Support by SmartLocalization
    - TutorialDesigner can be moved to any folder now
    - Alternate Action at One-Time Tutorial
    - Fixes / Optimizations

julianr likes this.
  21. Arganth

Arganth

this asset looks really good :)

22. Migoun

Migoun

Thanks! Reviews are very welcome ;)

23. Migoun

Migoun

Language Changes during runtime are now possible, natively by SmartLocalization. Example:
    LanguageManager.Instance.ChangeLanguage("en");

julianr likes this.
  24. blacksun666

blacksun666

Will this work on consoles?

25. Migoun

Migoun

Basically it should, because all Editor Code is stripped of in builts, leaving only the native Unity UI in the game. I'm not sure however, if the PlayerPrefs function works on all consoles. It is used for the One-Time-Tutorial feature.

26. HittmanA

HittmanA

Hey, can you display images (aka an icon of the button to press) with this?

27. Baroni

Baroni

Hi @HittmanA, you can basically do anything with event-triggered actions - like activating game objects (i.e. UI images/icons), full overlay menus (and stop time in the background), or invoke your own methods at a tutorial step.

28. HittmanA

HittmanA

Thanks! I believe I will be getting it then.

29. blacksun666

blacksun666

Thanks for the quick answer Baroni

30. deraggi

deraggi

Hi, I'm using TD in my project, it is a really great and helpful tool. However I have 2 issues which make the process of creating a tutorial a bit tedious. First of all, I have a quite complex node tree so far. I'm on Unity 5.6.0f3

1) Generally, the performance has gotten really bad
    2) When dragging to "scroll", often after a drag I'm being resetted to the original position. I have to resize the screen or zoom and then the dragging works again.

Is there anything that can be done about these 2 issues? It's a bit of a shame...

Thanks!

31. Migoun

Migoun

Hi Deraggl, yes unfortunately that has changed badly after some Unity Update. I'm currently working on an update. Performance and usability are on top of my list. Thank you for the feedback.

Best Michael

32. deraggi

deraggi

Please do. TD is a very important part of our project and it's giving me a very big headache now unfortunately.

Thank you!

33. Migoun

Migoun

I've fixed this issues. An update will be available tomorrow. I've put in only performance improvements and another tiny bugfix in this release, so I can continue working on the other features while fixing the most important issues right now.

Best, Michael

34. deraggi

deraggi

Just read your message, that's fantastic, thank you! Will install tonight and report

35. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

What I would really really really like to see is a tool like this that can operate on the Unity IDE. I would love to make tutorials for developer assets.

36. Baroni

Baroni

@Tinjaw Unity just posted this yesterday. Maybe something to look out for as well.

Tinjaw likes this.
  37. raphaelns

raphaelns

Hi! Great tool, good to see something so well done in the middle soo many poor assets.
    I'm thinking about using your asset at my project, but I have a few crucial questions before making that decision:
    - Is it possible to go to the next tutorial step only if two or more different events happened (the events can happen in any order)?
    - Is it possible to trigger events with a value and set in the event what the value should be?
    - Your plugin can be extended? (In case that features are not implemented)

38. Migoun

Migoun

Hi Raphael,

thanks for the comment! I appreciate it.
    1.) Yes you can define different triggers on events and apply a counter on it. There is no limit on it. You can also add a custom action to the targeted Stepnode if you want to make a more complex setting.
    2.) You can trigger events from code, any time. Also from Stepnodes. Altering nodes during runtime wouldn't be necessary, because they are already very flexible.
    3.) If you extend the code, it would be hard to support, of course. What features would you like? Feel free to tell me, I'm happy to consider them for the next update.

Best, Michael

39. deraggi

deraggi

Hi,

we've upgraded to Unity 2017.1.1f1 a while ago. Today, I attempted to change something in our tutorial, which seemed to work. However after pressing play, things got ugly.

My TD screen looks now like this:
    upload_2017-12-22_22-51-46.png

I'm getting these errors in console
    upload_2017-12-22_22-52-40.png
    upload_2017-12-22_22-52-23.png

Could you please have a look?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

40. Migoun

Migoun

Hi,

seems like it's missing the Scriptable Objects for Nodes and Connectors after the play button was hit. From which Unity version did you upgrade? Does this also happen in the demo scene?
    If in Editor mode everything looks fine, you could try to export, clear and reimport the tutorial, without saving your scene.
    Let me know if it helps: info@rebound-games.com
    Thanks!

Michael

41. stansison

stansison

Hi

Is it possible to manually link the tutorial designer? For some reason the tutorial I made lost the reference to the main node, tho all the dialogue screens and main tutorialSystem Gameobject is still in the scene. Unfortunately, there is not way to restore the save and I do not want to redo the whole tutorial again.

Any possible help sir?

I've attached the screenshot of the error message.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  42. Migoun

Migoun

Hi,

did you do an Unity Upgrade? If yes, do you have a working copy from before the Upgrade?
    If you need further support, please mail to info@rebound-games.com.

Thanks,
    Michael

43. Migoun

Migoun

Just released an update with new features. Release notes:
    - TextMeshPro Support
    - 3d Dialogues
    - Variable Editor. Static & Dynamic variables in Dialogue texts
    - Open / Save via native Asset Database. FullSerializer was removed
    - SmartLocalization is now an inherent part of TutorialDesigner, due to MIT-license
    - Audio on Stepnodes
    - Fixes and Updates for Unity 2017.X and higher. Updated all obsolete functions

Preview:

tolosaoldfan and julianr like this.
  44. julianr

julianr

Awesome update! This asset gets better and better - keep up the good work!

tolosaoldfan and Migoun like this.
  45. tolosaoldfan

tolosaoldfan

Hi,
    I updated with the last version, and I cannot import a tutorial I made in the previous version. Its it normal because you gave up the json export ? Do you confirm I cannot reuse the "old" tutorial ? It represents a lot of work, and we have to rebuild in several projects..

46. Migoun

Migoun

Hi there, yes you can use your old tutorial. But you cannot import json files anymore, that's true. Because it needed the 3d party "Fullserializer" plugin, which caused other issues. Now saving and loading is handled internally with Unity's Asset database.
    But you should be able to open a scene of your older project, where the tutorial already is set up. Older projects still work with the new version, of course. Or do you have your tutorial only inside a json file?
    Btw. the current version includes an updater for old tutorials, which makes it compatible to the new features.

47. RGAssets

RGAssets

We've added a short how to for making a simple pointer in the tutorial. Its a very customized problem, depending on your game scene. This shows one simple way to do it.

48. Noa3

Noa3

your asset is not working in my Project i get multiple errors on open the tutorial designer window.

using Unity 2018.2.16f1 x64 with latestest TextMeshPro from Packagemanager

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length cannot be less than zero.
    2. Parameter name: length
    3. System.String.Substring (System.Int32 startIndex, System.Int32 length) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    4. TutorialDesigner.SmartLocalization.Editor.LocalizationWorkspace.SetTDPath () (at Assets/TutorialDesigner/SmartLocalization/Scripts/Editor/FileOperations/LocalizationWorkspace.cs:171)
    5. TutorialDesigner.SmartLocalization.Editor.LocalizationWorkspace.Exists () (at Assets/TutorialDesigner/SmartLocalization/Scripts/Editor/FileOperations/LocalizationWorkspace.cs:181)
    6. TutorialDesigner.SmartLocalization.Editor.CustomResxImporter.OnPostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromAssetPaths) (at Assets/TutorialDesigner/SmartLocalization/Scripts/Editor/FileOperations/CustomResxImporter.cs:27)
    7. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    8. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    9. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    10. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    11. UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal.PostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] addedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromPathAssets) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetPostprocessor.cs:140)
    12. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:Refresh()
    13. TutorialDesigner.Utilities.ModuleLoader:LoadTMPro() (at Assets/TutorialDesigner/Scripts/Utilities.cs:271)
    14. TutorialDesigner.TutorialEditor:LoadTDMod() (at Assets/TutorialDesigner/Scripts/TutorialEditor.cs:114)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/TutorialDesigner/Scripts/Dialogue.cs(758,21): error CS0103: The name `ReplaceTextForTextMeshPro' does not exist in the current context
    Code (CSharp):
    3. System.String.Substring (System.Int32 startIndex, System.Int32 length) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    4. TutorialDesigner.TutorialEditor.Initialize () (at Assets/TutorialDesigner/Scripts/TutorialEditor.cs:188)
    5. TutorialDesigner.TutorialEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/TutorialDesigner/Scripts/TutorialEditor.cs:229)
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    7. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    9. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    10. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    11. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    12. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:261)
    13. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:392)
    14. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, System.Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:216)
    15. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Code (CSharp):
    4. TutorialDesigner.TutorialEditor.Initialize () (at Assets/TutorialDesigner/Scripts/TutorialEditor.cs:188)
    5. TutorialDesigner.TutorialEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/TutorialDesigner/Scripts/TutorialEditor.cs:229)
    6. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    7. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    9. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0)
    10. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    11. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    12. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:261)
    13. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:392)
    14. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, System.Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:238)
    15. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:376)
    16. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoRepaint (UnityEngine.IStylePainter painter) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:88)
    17. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Panel.PaintSubTree (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement root, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 offset, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement+ClippingOptions clippingOption, UnityEngine.Rect currentGlobalClip) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:732)
    18. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Panel.PaintSubTreeChildren (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement root, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 offset, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement+ClippingOptions clippingOption, UnityEngine.Rect textureClip) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:748)
    19. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Panel.PaintSubTree (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement root, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 offset, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.VisualElement+ClippingOptions clippingOption, UnityEngine.Rect currentGlobalClip) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:736)
    20. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.Panel.Repaint (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:778)
    21. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:227)
    22. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:74)
    23. UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:171)
    Edit:
    i removed the Tutorial Designer symbols and removed the assets from the Project and reimported it. now i get only this:
    Code (CSharp):

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  49. Noa3

Noa3

i found out, Easy roads cause the the problems above, the scripts cant find the name Tutorial editor because Easy roads have: "Assets/EasyRoads3D/Editor/ERTutorialEditor.cs"

50. Baroni

Baroni

Thanks for the follow up. Are the EasyRoads scripts not in their own namespace? Our scripts do have their own namespace - it's really bad design to not have an own namespace per Asset Store package... if you are in contact with the EasyRoads developer, maybe you could ask him/her to add it.